Schulz Tackle on Ted Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with Brereton's comments after the game that it didn't have the whip action that the Gibbs tackle had.

But I stand by my comments that when you are tackling from behind, you have a duty of care and less options than if you are tackling from the front or side.

I think he'll get the same as Gibbs. I don't think it's as bad as Gibbs', but I'm not against that penalty.

Sorry... But there was a definite "whip" action in there. The whip action is what did the damage and why he will go.

I don't think for a second that he did it deliberately, or had any intent to hurt him, and I openly applaud his actions after the tackle. But it is what it is and he'll get a week or more.

I didn't think there was too much in it and if Richards had escaped injury it wouldn't have even been noticed. A player being knocked out makes it look bad, which probably means he'll get a week.

I'd give Broadbent a week off before penalising Schulz. And had his bump been forceful enough to knock Parker over I'd give him a month.

* that. That campaigner Broadbent deserves 4 weeks.

don't know how people are only seeing one action. the sling had started when he was standing up.

anyway, i also agree that 'duty of care' is a ridiculous basis to determine events on. any injury automatically means that someone has done something wrong which is not necessarily the case.

If RobbieGray17 doesn't want to get labelled biased, I will. At first I thought it was 2 weeks but slow-mo is a bit more forgiving of Schulz than Gibbs. It wasn't a pick up and sling two motions. Schulz hardly grounded his feet to provide lift. I don't think that's suspendable but I won't be surprised.

Broadbent is the worse incident he can get ******.

To me it looked like Schulz jumped to get more momentum to throw Richards to the ground. A few years ago it'd be play on, strong tackle, but the AFL has made it a point to protect the head so he may get a week or 2. If it were my call I'd let him off.

I didn't have an issue with this. Gibbs was a deliberate second motion to smash Gray into the turf.

This is just bad luck. Should get off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If RobbieGray17 doesn't want to get labelled biased, I will. At first I thought it was 2 weeks but slow-mo is a bit more forgiving of Schulz than Gibbs. It wasn't a pick up and sling two motions. Schulz hardly grounded his feet to provide lift. I don't think that's suspendable but I won't be surprised.

Broadbent is the worse incident he can get ******.

disagree. the second action is there - just that the tackle is a little more 'graceful' and smoother than gibbs. he had to have done something to go from a standing swing, to the dump.

for the record, i'm not sure what the point of arguing 1 vs 2 actions is. you could argue his one action was to put richards on the ground.

Current AFL environment is a joke.

Any tackle can potentially result in a concussion. Schulz's tackle was good, with a bad outcome. If Richards didn't get KO'd, the play would've continued and no one would have talked about that tackle ever again. Shouldn't get suspended, but will, because the "sling tackle" (which isn't what Schulz did) is the rule of the week at the moment.

And in a few weeks time, when everyone has got over and forgotten about the Gibbs and Schulz tackles, a player will tackle someone else hard and knock them out, and it won't result in a suspension.

Same as Gibbs tackle, nothing in it, It shits me to tears that these are even looked at. It is a tackle FFS ,a legal action where the player has not gone high or made contract with the head.

A players head hits the ground in the result of a tackle is an unfortunate result and that is it
We all know that common sense and the MRP dont go hand in hand.

Where are all the medics caring for the head injuries this week... That's right it wasn't a port player with the sore head.

Any way, no way should Schultz go, the same as Gibbs though, will be probably be persecuted for a tackle that was well executed and within the rules for the last 100 years..

Just watching the footage again, Schulz starts and finishes the tackle facing the same direction, meaning he did the full 360°, and comes off the ground to try and get enough leverage to swing Richards around.

I originally thought it was just stiff s**t for Richards, but just looking at it again, it's not good.

Can't work this out at all.

Either Schulz has won the MRP lotto or there's a Sydney conspiracy that sees Swans players AND those who infringe on Swans players let off in order to make the game look tough in Sydney. Or for the free PR.

Schulz's tackle was very similar to Merrett's. Might not be 2 movements but he:
- Pinned the arms
- Spun him around
- Dumped him on his head

Isn't that enough?

don't know how people are only seeing one action. the sling had started when he was standing up.

anyway, i also agree that 'duty of care' is a ridiculous basis to determine events on. any injury automatically means that someone has done something wrong which is not necessarily the case.

Rubbish.

Speeding @ 30km/hr over speed limit. Loss of licence, big fine.

Speeding @ over 30km/hr over speed limit and run over a cyclist and kill them. Culpable driving. Time in the big house.

They state the fact that it wasn't two motions is what saved him.

I still think there should be a duty of care when tackling from behind and am a bit surprised he got off. The tackle is definitely not as bad as the Gibbs one, but I still thought he should go for it.

Pretty lucky really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back