Scott Thompson 250th- what a absolute legend of this club

Remove this Banner Ad

went to Noarlunga and watched him play for the magpies against South Adelaide in round 1 when he first came here.

Was a class above even then. Gun.

gets leather poisoning against the bottom 8 teams each year...keeps him in the side
Seriously 'keeps him in the side'? Not sure if you're being sarcastic...

Let me educate you.

In Thompson's yr 2013, one that most will agree was a 'down' year for him - disposals against the top 8 sides- he did this

Port - 28 highest for Crows
Carlton - 24 highest for crows
Hawks - 24 3rd highest for Crows
Freo - 24 2nd highest for crows
Richmond - 29 highest for crows
Sydney - 21 a 'bad' game
Geelong - 15 - but IIRC was subbed off 3/4 time or there-a-bouts
Collingwood- 23 third highest for crows

…and just for the record, against Essendon before their drugs wore off and before they were kicked out of the 8
he got 23 - 2nd highest for Crows.

Those games right there were probably enough to keep him in the side you'd think.

Seriously 'keeps him in the side'? Not sure if you're being sarcastic...

Let me educate you.

In Thompson's yr 2013, one that most will agree was a 'down' year for him - disposals against the top 8 sides- he did this

Port - 28 highest for Crows
Carlton - 24 highest for crows
Hawks - 24 3rd highest for Crows
Freo - 24 2nd highest for crows
Richmond - 29 highest for crows
Sydney - 21 a 'bad' game
Geelong - 15 - but IIRC was subbed off 3/4 time or there-a-bouts
Collingwood- 23 third highest for crows

…and just for the record, against Essendon before their drugs wore off and before they were kicked out of the 8
he got 23 - 2nd highest for Crows.

Those games right there were probably enough to keep him in the side you'd think.
He's a gun, like to see woundedcrow get mid 20 disposals every week for 10 years

Have to endorse all that Stiffy said above about Thommo. :thumbsu:

It was a brilliant combination of two trades that got Thommo to Adelaide.

We traded Jason Stenglein, who was a tagger, to West Coast at the end of 2004 after he had played 106 games for us, who went on to play only 5 more years and 102 games for West Coast.

In return we got draft pick 12 (and another later pick I think)

in turn we traded pick 12 to Melbourne for a young Scott Thompson who had only spent 4 years and 39 games with Melbourne after being drafted by them.

Our return on this has been excellent. This is Thompson's 10th season with Adelaide and this will be his 211th game in our colours, and the majority of them have been quality games as our premier mid-fielder.

Well played Scotty, thankyou for coming to our club, the manner in which you have played for the club, and congratulations on achieving the 250 game milestone this coming week-end. :thumbsu:

I wish we could repeat trades like this every year.

PS I think we have actually with the trade of Bernie Vince and the use of that pick for Matty Crouch. :)

Couldn't have said it better M23. Nicely done.

Congrats Thommo - an outstanding achievement.

Gives away a lot frees, and a lot of clangers. It is a pity the umpires pick on him ( like they do all our in and under mids) cause he could of done some damage.

Wasn't it him who kicked it out of bounds late in a 2007 final against Hawthorn and Franklin nailed the decider from that?

One has to admire the dedication to build the body he has, playing this game. Has a lot to offer the younguns.

Such a hard working player, been brilliant in our good and bad years of recent. Should have had a premiership in 2005, 2006 or 2012. Hope he gets to 300+

played very good against poor opposition...never really smashed quality teams
This is a thread celebrating a club champion and you sprout that rubbish... good grief, missed 2011 when he practically carried our side? He's been of my favourites of the years, tough as nails, hard-working and has carried us during some dark times. It will be a stretch but it would be incredible if he clocked up 300.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r-scott-thompson/story-fnia3xzy-1226888491955

AFTER 10 years at Adelaide, Scott Thompson still cops the same old question — why did you join the Crows instead of Port Adelaide?
“Even some family members still bring it up,’’ Thompson said as he prepares for his 250th AFL match against GWS at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.
“I do still cop it and when there is a Showdown some family members who are mad Port supporters tell me they hope I play well but that they hope we lose. It’s interesting.’’
Enter Crows head trainer Vince Del Bono.
Thompson, who grew up as a passionate Port supporter and played under-age and reserves football for the Magpies before being drafted by Melbourne in 2000, has revealed Del Bono — his former teacher at St Michael’s College — was the man behind his move to West Lakes at the end of 2004.

Thompson forged his strong relationship with Del Bono at college, where the then Crows trainer was a teacher and runner for Thompson’s First XVIII side.
The pair stayed in touch during Thompson’s four years at Melbourne and caught up for “coffee and a chat’’ whenever he returned to Adelaide.
“I don’t know what Vinnie said to (then Crows recruiting manager) James Fantasia but he set the wheels in motion and I’m glad it all unfolded the way it did,’’ the 31-year-old said.
The Power made a late play for Thompson after midfield premiership hero Josh Carr shocked the club by returning home to WA, where he joined Fremantle.
By that time, Thompson said he had already committed to the Crows.
There you go, can thank Vince Del Bono and Port Adelaide's lack of early interest for Thompson being at the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We traded Jason Stenglein, who was a tagger, to West Coast at the end of 2004 after he had played 106 games for us, who went on to play only 5 more years and 102 games for West Coast.

You mean Tyson Stenglein right? ;)

They have a "Where are they now" bit in the footy lift our in the rag over here on a Friday and he was last week's. Says he still keeps tabs on both teams and still loves the game to pieces. Reckons the Eagles will be strong this year, whilst we may struggle

My wife goes weak at the knees every time his name is mentioned, meh, so do I.

Thommo you ****** champion!

At least she doesn't get on her knees for him..... same for you :p

Umps may ping for him lots of frees, but they still love him. He used to poll very well in the Brownlow

I think i started a "Scott Thompson Appreciation Thread" a while back (after he literally carried our side in 2011) I might dig that up

Champion player
Seriously under rated across the border and by some of our own supporter base
IMO still has two years left in him however we can't expect him to lead the way week in week out, our young mids need to take the baton

In the first quarter yesterday i was on the hill when we started in awful fashion.
The crowd down our end was dead quiet. Gws moved footy around and got an easy mark inside forward 50.
Scotty T then yelled at the top of his lungs "come on boys... That was too f**king easy". So clear so audible on the hill and we all gave abit of a cheer.
Then the boys pulled their finger out started working for each other.
Wondering if anyone else was on the hill and heard it?
What annoyed me about yesterday is why even in a massive milestone game it seems the boys aren t switched on from the start.

gets leather poisoning against the bottom 8 teams each year...keeps him in the side
Is this based on the one game that stands out in your mind of 51 disposals vs Gold Coast a couple of years ago? :rolleyes:

Disposals in games vs top 8 sides:

2009- 27,27,17,22,34,28,35,28,20,33,30,20.. Average- 27
2010- 29,21,37,33,23,31,34,27,23,17,10(injured most probably).. Average- 26
2011- 27,32,33,40,26,25,26,27,22,37,26.. Average- 29
2012- 31,28,31,25,28,22,27,16,40,34,28.. Average- 28
2013- 15,24,21,21,24,23,29,17,24,28.. Average- 23

And we also know he spent 2013 playing injured..
That record against top 8 teams would probably be better than most players..
At least keep these comments of yours for players who may be deserving, this guy has been a champion..

I've noticed this year he is getting far fewer frees paid against him. Only had 5 for the year. I know we are having slightly less free's total in a game this year, but im still happy he isn't getting 4X frees against him every game now

Also just had a quick look at clangers: he has 12 (2.4 a game), same as Jacobs. Danger has 13, Jpod 15. League leaders: J Kennedy (syd, 23), Parker (22), Cotchin (22), Prestia (22), Grundy (21), Ablett (20).

Grundy has only had 48 disposals total!

Last edited:
His debut game is my favourite memory of him, he started a fight, got in a wrestling match with 2 Collingwood players, both ending up in a headlock got his guernsey ripped and for the first time in years we had a player who wouldn't shy away when on his own other than Roo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back