Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Upwey to beat wandin tomorrow after too many wandin blokes can't sleep due to worrying too much about no.44!!!! Maybe hump it was just a "accidental collision" like the Mick walker/Blake Walter incident.... Oh wait.... Didn't walky boy get 8 weeks????

King hit off the ball then got him getting back up. Young bloke off with the blood rule 100 meters behind play. Something to make fun of I guess.

Yeah Walker got 8 with the only witness a reserve umpire that couldn't see because the post was in the way. Lucky he knew what a delibrate high hit sounded like.

Last edited:
Well this round results are starting to tell a storey,
- Woori with no depth are ordinary.
- Warby and Mt Evelyn are not really going to bother the top 5.
- Wandin are back and looking ominous after thumping Upwey.
- Olinda are the team to beat!!!!

Well this round results are starting to tell a storey,
- Woori with no depth are ordinary.
- Warby and Mt Evelyn are not really going to bother the top 5.
- Wandin are back and looking ominous after thumping Upwey.
- Olinda are the team to beat!!!!

a couple of rounds ago olinda demolished wandin by a similiar score line as woori care to explain the diff lack of depth at wandin??? hyperthmia and altitude sickness probably come into the equation

Would have thought Woori 2's at 0-6 a percentage of 20.9 and the 1 scoring shot at Olinda might have been self explanatory for my comment on Woori's depth? Re Wandins depth I'm not sure as we've yet to play them but their 2's seem solid with only 1 lose!

Would have thought Woori 2's at 0-6 a percentage of 20.9 and the 1 scoring shot at Olinda might have been self explanatory for my comment on Woori's depth? Re Wandins depth I'm not sure as we've yet to play them but their 2's seem solid with only 1 lose!

valid stats but still quality players in the twos the whole team had abad day and olinda were very very good

Well we should get a good look at the "quality" in Woori's 2's this week as we play them away tomorrow. 9th versus 10th so should be a blockbuster!!! Seniors should be a better game but expecting Woori to be too strong if they've had a few return. (Will also enable more quality to roll back into the 2's)

Well the boys got up with a solid last qrt which was a little unexpected. The 2's also got up in a nail bitter against some quality opposition by 14 goals. Important win for us to now move clear of the bottom couple. Some other interesting results as we near the half way mark!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the boys got up with a solid last qrt which was a little unexpected. The 2's also got up in a nail bitter against some quality opposition by 14 goals. Important win for us to now move clear of the bottom couple. Some other interesting results as we near the half way mark!!!

Good effort by Monbulk. My rule of thumb is that you don't win to many games of football if you have to kick as many goals in the last quarter as you have in the first 3. A loss yesterday would have seen Monbulk out of the 5 by 2 games, but yesterday's win still gives them a chance. Woori are in the middle of a tough 4 weeks. They've played Olinda and Monbulk and with Healesville and Wandin to come it will be interesting to see where they sit at the half way mark.

Healesville ended Olinda's run in the seniors and ressies. I reckon these 2 are very evenly matched and will enjoy a couple of more tussles before season's end.

Upwey did enough to get a the job done and with Emerald and Olinda to come they could set up the second half of the year very nicely. I wouldn't be surprised to see Upwey beat Olinda as they have a very good record against them (probably a very good record against most clubs come to think of it).

Whilst most teams struggled to kick goals yesterday, Wandin banged through 21 of them. Since their touch up by Olinda in round 3 they haven't put a foot wrong. They have Monbulk and Woori in the next fortnight and on current form should win both. I still have them as going back to back.

Emerald have Upwey and Warby in the next 2 games and if they lose both they will be coming from a fair way back to avoid relegation.

Interesting to see that the Mt Evelyn v Upwey game had the highest and lowest player points for the round. Mt Evelyn were bang on the allowable 40pts while Upwey had only 25pts. Top 4 sides were well short of the 40 pts.

Only two blokes not from Wessy Juniors playing for Warburton tomorrow.
Whilst talking about points the above post is from a few weeks back but noticed warby had the same amount of points as wandin..... Are Wesburn juniors still only 1 point if they represent warby??? If mt.evelyn had 40 points then these two examples certainly make a mockery of what was supposedly meant to even the competition up, or is it too early to tell???

Whilst talking about points the above post is from a few weeks back but noticed warby had the same amount of points as wandin..... Are Wesburn juniors still only 1 point if they represent warby??? If mt.evelyn had 40 points then these two examples certainly make a mockery of what was supposedly meant to even the competition up, or is it too early to tell???

Odd system when Mullins a Wesburn junior coming back from Powelltown is worth the same as Polky and a under 18 that played at Chirnside last season in his first senior game is worth more than Robbie Ross. White and Patty Sharp both are 4 and the rest are all Wesburn products. You tell me if the system works.

I assume tenure has a part to play? Believe Ross has been at Wandin for 3-4 seasons and Polky in his 2nd year. (Had he not won B&F he would be 2pts)

Interesting to see that the Mt Evelyn v Upwey game had the highest and lowest player points for the round. Mt Evelyn were bang on the allowable 40pts while Upwey had only 25pts. Top 4 sides were well short of the 40 pts.

So if they have the room, I wonder if any of them will land 1 more recruit before clearances close at the end of the month?

Odd system when Mullins a Wesburn junior coming back from Powelltown is worth the same as Polky and a under 18 that played at Chirnside last season in his first senior game is worth more than Robbie Ross. White and Patty Sharp both are 4 and the rest are all Wesburn products. You tell me if the system works.
I don't see anything odd about rewarding clubs for holding on to players
Providing either money, success, culture or all of the above remember Ross has been around for a few years now and will continue to have Lower points as time goes on
The points system is designed to maximise talent in your point pool
The smart clubs I.e. Wandin Were all over the system and was no surprise that they had a smaller turn over of players this year.

What clubs will need to better at is managing lists - particularly old lists where there is the need to replace a number of older locals with new higher point players, monbulk being an example this year

It won't be long before clubs start looking at the point value rather than the money value in terms of the true value to the club

There are probably some tweaks still needed though as some anomalies exist which work opposite to the spirit of the points system. e.g. Mt. Evelyn have a 17 year old who had played 1 senior game with the club yet carries 3 points as he played all his junior footy at Wandin. No offence to the young guy but 3 points was always directed as typically a high profile player coming back from the VFL - not a young kid on the up.

There are probably some tweaks still needed though as some anomalies exist which work opposite to the spirit of the points system. e.g. Mt. Evelyn have a 17 year old who had played 1 senior game with the club yet carries 3 points as he played all his junior footy at Wandin. No offence to the young guy but 3 points was always directed as typically a high profile player coming back from the VFL - not a young kid on the up.
I'm pretty sure they don't want players being poached from other clubs so that's why he is 3 points. Obviously every situation is different for example he might not be even close to a Snr game at wandin but gets one elsewhere. But the point still stands they don't want clubs snatching the best youth from other clubs

I'm pretty sure they don't want players being poached from other clubs so that's why he is 3 points. Obviously every situation is different for example he might not be even close to a Snr game at wandin but gets one elsewhere. But the point still stands they don't want clubs snatching the best youth from other clubs

That is right, but 3 points is about standard, an AFL player is 6 points, a VFL player is 5 points, with 1 point coming off for each year of service.

A player from a AFLyarraranges 1st Div club going to another 1st div club is 4 points

If a player is classified as a Home Player (40 games or more in the juniors) he is 1 point.

Obviously designed to try and encourage development of youth in the clubs, with enough room to top up if necessary.

By the way 40 points is probably to much, all clubs except Mt Eve are less than 40 points.

Next step is to bring in the Salary Cap in 2017, a lot of discussion in Ovens and Murray with cap to be set between 160K and 180K per year including coaches (in Bordermail) , ours should be a lot less.

Is the salary cap proposed for 2017? If so be keen to understand how they propose to manage/police that. On face value looks an impossible task!!

Is the salary cap proposed for 2017? If so be keen to understand how they propose to manage/police that. On face value looks an impossible task!!

Not sure of details, but again Victoria wide, players to sign stat dec, AFL Vic to throw book at any one caught.

Bloody hard to police I suppose but hopefully with the points and salary cap there will be some downward pressure on payments and volunteers can start to really enjoy the game again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back