Society & Culture Seinfeld

Remove this Banner Ad

Elaine.jpg

"It was more like a full bodied dry heave set to music."

[YOUTUBE]8LafoDMH6Tw[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LafoDMH6Tw

The squirt is the funniest thing recorded in the history of mankind.

Watched The Cheever Letters last night.

SUSAN: Excuse me. (Answer the door. It's her doorman, Raymond, carrying a burnt box) Hello, Raymond.

RAYMOND: Ah, yes, the man from the insurance company dropped this off this morning. He said it was the only thing left from the remains of the fire.

SUSAN: (Accepts the box) Oh, thank you. (As the doorman leaves, she turns to Jerry and George) Wow, I've never seen this before.. (Opens the charred box)

Oh, they're letters. (Hands the box to George) Here.

GEORGE: Oh, sure. (Holds the box out as Susan takes out a few letters)

SUSAN: From.. (Trying to read one) from John Cheever.

JERRY AND GEORGE: Oh, wow.

SUSAN: (Chuckles as she opens up one of the letters. She reads it) "Dear Henry, last night with you was bliss. I fear my.. orgasm (She now has everyone's attention) has left me a cripple. I don't how how I shall ever get back to work.. (Jerry and George make odd faces as Susan is still concentrating on the notes) I love you madly, John. (Pause) P.S. Loved the cabin."

GEORGE: Well, we.. we, we, ah..

JERRY: Yeah..

GEORGE: We really should be, uh, heading out..

JERRY: Yeah. Look at the time.

GEORGE: You know, the time..

MR. ROSS: The box! (Rushes toward George, grabbing the box away from him, then the letters from Susan's hands) My letters! Gimme that! (Now holding them against his chest, defensively) Who told you to open this?!

MRS. ROSS: Who's John?! Who's John?!

SARA: I knew it!

MRS. ROSS: I want to know who John is!

RICKEY: John Cheever?! Dad, you and John Cheever?!

MR. ROSS: (Proclaiming) Yes! Yes, he was the most wonderful person I've ever known. And I love him deeply! In a way you could never understand.

ELAINE: (Turns to George, he is now reading a book) Hey, what are you reading?

GEORGE: Oh, uh, "The Falconer" by John Cheever. It's really excellent.

ELAINE: (To Jerry) John Cheever, you ever read any of his stuff?

JERRY: Uh, yeah, I'm familiar with some of his writing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greatest comedy of all time. Not just the 90's, but of ALL TIME!!!1

I genuinely lose most, if not all respect, for anyone that says Friends was better. If you like it better, then fair enough, but to genuinely think that its comedy was wittier or more creative, well, that is a strong indication of stupidity.

I completely agree with this. I was going to mention Curb Your Enthusiasm, then I saw:

CYE is the best comedy on tv at the moment.

and completely agree with these as well.

I find it remarkable how obvious it becomes how crucial Larry David was to Seinfeld. Basically, all the mannerisms (of particularly Jerry and George) come from Larry. In particular, the neurotic humour is pure David.

I just love CYE. I never used to watch it, but now I'm doing everything I can to catch up. It's essentially Seinfeld in the modern day.

Seminal stuff, both shows. All hail Larry David

How do you rate the first season of CYE? I watched a few eps, it was decent but i couldn't really get into it. It's readily available to me if I want it, does it improve as the seasons go on. Keep in mind i am a massive Seinfeld fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back