vs Clayton

Cheltenham vs Oakleigh Districts
St Pauls
vs East Malvern
Port Melbourne vs Dingley
St Kilda City vs Bentleigh
Mordialloc
vs Clayton
Agreed with this except i think Chelt will notch up the win, im not counting them out of finals yet

Agreed with this except i think Chelt will notch up the win, im not counting them out of finals yet

Chelt are gone after the weekend, reckon Bentleigh are starting to show they can mix it with the top 3 if they keep everyone on the park.

Huge game this week Dingley vs Mordialloc in regards to who can finish top at seasons end and gain the big advantage come finals time.

Was a pretty good contest between dingley and mordialic today. 11 and 14 for dingley were the catalyst in them getting back in the game winning it
Was a good game. 9 out of 10 times if you don't use the wind at Dingley you won't win. Mordy in front at quarter time against it I think most people thought the game was done. Game of two halves. Mordy were harder in the first half and Dingley controlled the second half. Good rivalry building as there is a genuine dislike between the players. Bastion and Nicholls wanting to play the hard men. Not sure if they would act the same way if confronted in a pub.

Was a good game. 9 out of 10 times if you don't use the wind at Dingley you won't win. Mordy in front at quarter time against it I think most people thought the game was done. Game of two halves. Mordy were harder in the first half and Dingley controlled the second half. Good rivalry building as there is a genuine dislike between the players. Bastion and Nicholls wanting to play the hard men. Not sure if they would act the same way if confronted in a pub.
Please..

What does everyone think for this week:

Cheltenham should easily overcome Clayton, 100+
St.Pauls vs Mordi is the decider for who finishes top and St.Pauls look unstoppable, should get ot dome by 20 points
Colts have been pretty disappointing this year and i cant see them start impressing now, OD by 40
EM should easily take care of city, 60 points
Bentleigh vs Dingley is a massive game with demons hot form of late but Souter Oval is pretty much a fortress for Dingley and theyre very hard to beat there, dingley by 30 points

What does everyone think for this week:

Cheltenham should easily overcome Clayton, 100+
St.Pauls vs Mordi is the decider for who finishes top and St.Pauls look unstoppable, should get ot dome by 20 points
Colts have been pretty disappointing this year and i cant see them start impressing now, OD by 40
EM should easily take care of city, 60 points
Bentleigh vs Dingley is a massive game with demons hot form of late but Souter Oval is pretty much a fortress for Dingley and theyre very hard to beat there, dingley by 30 points

Will be a cracker of a game down at the Kennel. As I've said before, I'm ultra impressed by the youngsters that have stepped up into this senior team (Dolan, Clarke, Locandro, Bryne, Munday, Hay, Karomoshos etc). Their maturity to stay in the contest is the main thing that has stood out to me, with a lot of come from behind wins against top teams shows they don't drop their heads.

Bentleigh vs Dingley should be a ripper also!

I see the AFL has officially confirmed that the VFL 'Development League' (reserves) is to be scrapped (see http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-27/afl-victoria-dumps-vfls-development-league ).

It will be interesting to see how this affects suburban football, especially the SFNL.

Doubtless the eight clubs affected will take the chance to trim their lists, freeing up more footballers for local comps (and stave off insolvency for a year or two longer). I imagine many of the players will end up at the big paying clubs, like Deer Park.

Key sentence in the report was "VFL clubs will have to foster a strong feeder system with grassroots clubs, where the increased leftover players will filter to." Regardless of not having a 2s side, VFL clubs will still need somewhere for their non-selected players to play. Two clubs (Port Melbourne and Sandringham) are in the SFNL region.

The natural 'grassroots club' for Port Melbourne VFL would be Port Colts. If the Colts can secure a few off-duty VFL players each week, they should be able to be genuine flag contenders - though an ever-changing list of 18-21yos would not help team cohesion.

Sandringham is a more complicated case. The highest standard footy club in their area would be Beaumaris (VAFA Premier A), but the VAFA would probably (almost certainly) block paid players going there, even if they are being paid by a third party (Sandy). Beyond that, the nearest non-VAFA clubs are Black Rock, Hampton United and East Brighton. I can't see a VFL side wanting to play their spare players in Divs 2 or 3 - it would not provide a worthwhile hit out, other than just for fitness. Maybe Bentleigh or St Paul's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the AFL has officially confirmed that the VFL 'Development League' (reserves) is to be scrapped (see http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-27/afl-victoria-dumps-vfls-development-league ).

It will be interesting to see how this affects suburban football, especially the SFNL.

Doubtless the eight clubs affected will take the chance to trim their lists, freeing up more footballers for local comps (and stave off insolvency for a year or two longer). I imagine many of the players will end up at the big paying clubs, like Deer Park.

Key sentence in the report was "VFL clubs will have to foster a strong feeder system with grassroots clubs, where the increased leftover players will filter to." Regardless of not having a 2s side, VFL clubs will still need somewhere for their non-selected players to play. Two clubs (Port Melbourne and Sandringham) are in the SFNL region.

The natural 'grassroots club' for Port Melbourne VFL would be Port Colts. If the Colts can secure a few off-duty VFL players each week, they should be able to be genuine flag contenders - though an ever-changing list of 18-21yos would not help team cohesion.

Sandringham is a more complicated case. The highest standard footy club in their area would be Beaumaris (VAFA Premier A), but the VAFA would probably (almost certainly) block paid players going there, even if they are being paid by a third party (Sandy). Beyond that, the nearest non-VAFA clubs are Black Rock, Hampton United and East Brighton. I can't see a VFL side wanting to play their spare players in Divs 2 or 3 - it would not provide a worthwhile hit out, other than just for fitness. Maybe Bentleigh or St Paul's?
Vfl blokes allowed to play in vafa on permits so that would stay the same i assume

On GT-I9505 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be a cracker of a game down at the Kennel. As I've said before, I'm ultra impressed by the youngsters that have stepped up into this senior team (Dolan, Clarke, Locandro, Bryne, Munday, Hay, Karomoshos etc). Their maturity to stay in the contest is the main thing that has stood out to me, with a lot of come from behind wins against top teams shows they don't drop their heads.

Bentleigh vs Dingley should be a ripper also!

Knew I'd mozz the boys. Was a pretty average game from our end. Mordi to their credit were hard at the footy and dominated from the start. They also played the wind much better. The score blew out due to a flurry of goals late in the last but still, good learning curve for the boys.

Knew I'd mozz the boys. Was a pretty average game from our end. Mordi to their credit were hard at the footy and dominated from the start. They also played the wind much better. The score blew out due to a flurry of goals late in the last but still, good learning curve for the boys.
I reckon you could put an asterix on the form line for most the Comp on Saturday. That was one of the strongest winds local footy would have seen for a while. Unless the wind was blowing directly at the goals they were hard to kick on the weekend.

I reckon you could put an asterix on the form line for most the Comp on Saturday. That was one of the strongest winds local footy would have seen for a while. Unless the wind was blowing directly at the goals they were hard to kick on the weekend.

Tell me about it! The wind was blowing to one end, however it was also going across the face of goal so you had to adjust your aim and hang it far left hoping the wind would take it straight.

The wind definitely made it hard for Doggies to execute their usual game plan as the wind was unforgiving and didn't allow teams to switch or hit that inside 45 with the usual level of confidence!

Tell me about it! The wind was blowing to one end, however it was also going across the face of goal so you had to adjust your aim and hang it far left hoping the wind would take it straight.

The wind definitely made it hard for Doggies to execute their usual game plan as the wind was unforgiving and didn't allow teams to switch or hit that inside 45 with the usual level of confidence!

Would have thought this would effect both teams; the two games I have seen Mordy they switch the ball a lot too. The older bigger bodies at Dingley and Mordy will be big come the finals against St Paul's from what I have seen this year.

Any comments on Dingley vs bentleigh? Was surprised to see such a big margin.

Would have thought this would effect both teams; the two games I have seen Mordy they switch the ball a lot too. The older bigger bodies at Dingley and Mordy will be big come the finals against St Paul's from what I have seen this year.

Any comments on Dingley vs bentleigh? Was surprised to see such a big margin.

Never said it didn't, however Mordi/Dingley are bigger bodied teams compared to St Pauls who are lighter but definitely run it more..........hence why I made the comment that the wind didn't help St Pauls, not saying it didn't help Mordi either but it allowed the game to become more contested which played into their hands. St Pauls on the big Springvale ground will be able to spread teams, so it will be an interesting finals series as I still think any of the top 3 on their game can win it.

Never said it didn't, however Mordi/Dingley are bigger bodied teams compared to St Pauls who are lighter but definitely run it more..........hence why I made the comment that the wind didn't help St Pauls, not saying it didn't help Mordi either but it allowed the game to become more contested which played into their hands. St Pauls on the big Springvale ground will be able to spread teams, so it will be an interesting finals series as I still think any of the top 3 on their game can win it.

You can almost guarantee windy conditions in Melbourne during September. Have seen dozens of wind effected finals at Springy over the years. Not much difference between the top 3 and on their day any of those capable but one goal after 1/4 time on your home deck is not a great result.

Doggies a young side so some inconsistency perhaps to be expected. While Mordy are a physical, big bodied team they don't seem to lack in the skill department either and a bigger deck is likely to suit them also. Don’t think it holds many fears for the Dingoes either.

Last edited:
You can almost guarantee windy conditions in Melbourne during September. Have seen dozens of wind effected finals at Springy over the years. Not much difference between the top 3 and on their day any of those capable but one goal after 1/4 time on your home deck is not a great result.

Doggies a young side so some inconsistency perhaps to be expected. While Mordy are a physical, big bodied team they don't seem to lack in the skill department either and a bigger deck is likely to suit them also. Don’t think it holds many fears for the Dingoes either.

I have not seen a wind like that before.. that was something else

I don't disagree with you. It's great there's no clear cut premiership favourite compared to some other years!

Mordi/Dingley are bigger bodied teams compared to St Pauls who are lighter but definitely run it more...........

surely the wind would help a team who likes to run the ball more? that is the best way to play into the wind.....

Back