SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the Interleague game yesterday and saw a great game. I thought RDFNL had the game won but that last quarter and extra time was unexpected and exciting! Well done to SFNL for winning an exciting encounter in extra time by 1 point. The only disappointing aspect of the whole day was the small crowd that attended. Thought a special game like this would bring out the spectators. I brought my camcorder with me and will upload the exciting last half and extra time on my YouTube channel (TIGER TV AFL) in a few days.
Maybe dont have the interleague side made up of Cheltenham dingley and cranbourne players!!

Maybe dont have the interleague side made up of Cheltenham dingley and cranbourne players!!

Maybe other clubs need to support it more .
There were players from all Div 1 clubs except Mordi that were contacted and offered the opportunity but they declined .

I reckon Dingley and Chelt didny want to have that many players playing but good on them for supporting.

Ask the other clubs where were their players

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My game-day scenes from Saturday's INTERLEAGUE match played at RSEA Park.
I filmed everything except the second quarter.
Here's some timestamps for you:
PRE GAME - 0:40
QUARTER 1 - 3:40
QUARTER 3 - 26:40
QUARTER 4 - 48:52
EXTRA TIME 1 - 1:12:34
EXTRA TIME 2 - 1:19:10
POST GAME - 1:26:04

Does the league still have the option to hand out suspensions for not playing interleague in its by-laws like many others do?

Yes they do but they won’t .
Have a look at the original squad and how many from that played . They named every ex afl footballer when blind Freddie could have told you they were not going to play .
Suspend all them and the league would be an embarrassment.

The league need to fix the process to involve all clubs otherwise it’s a waste of time

Have a look at the original squad and how many from that played . They named every ex afl footballer when blind Freddie could have told you they were not going to play .

The league need to fix the process to involve all clubs otherwise it’s a waste of time

Process is the issue. Always going to have issues with commitment during the season. Blokes book in holidays on these bye weekends and if you’re carrying an injury there’s no way you’re playing.
Previously done these games in the pre season and done training sessions over the summer months.
Makes it much more palatable to the better players in the comp to get some extra sessions in with the better players of the competition.
It’s either that or pay the players.

Whoever selected the squad shot themselves in the foot to be honest. Why select blokes like Tapscott, Bellchambers, Hibberd etc. who are never going to play? You'd be better off selecting a local A lister player from those teams instead so that the final squad has a higher spread of teams.
When 75% of the initial squad is Chelt and Dingley the other 25% shouldn't include ex-afl players who will never play.
More spread of teams represented will result in a much higher crowd I imagine.

Whoever selected the squad shot themselves in the foot to be honest. Why select blokes like Tapscott, Bellchambers, Hibberd etc. who are never going to play? You'd be better off selecting a local A lister player from those teams instead so that the final squad has a higher spread of teams.
When 75% of the initial squad is Chelt and Dingley the other 25% shouldn't include ex-afl players who will never play.
More spread of teams represented will result in a much higher crowd I imagine.
You can't knock the league for including Chelt & Dingley players when you know they'll buy in.

Exactly. 10 used to be the magic number of teams for a competition or division because it was 18 rounds and everyone played home and away against each other.

Nowadays, nine is more and more preferred because you get 16 games plus two byes thrown in during the season.

If you are real lucky then you get your byes somewhere around rounds 5 and 14 so you get a freshen up roughly a month into the season and about a month before finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello all. Here's a video of the LAST 5 MINUTES of the INTERLEAGUE game between the SFNL and RDFNL played last Saturday.

Watch-out for the magnificent last goal kicked by Number 3 from RDFNL and watch for the player taking the mark half a second AFTER the final siren to deny RDFNL victory.

Gotta luv suburban footy.

This is how I see it so far.
Chelt- team to beat
Springy/Dingley - challengers
St. Paul’s/Cranny/Vamps - fighting for finals
Colts/Bentleigh - need some luck
Heights - struggling
Mordi - going down

Thoughts?

This is how I see it so far.
Chelt- team to beat
Springy/Dingley - challengers
St. Paul’s/Cranny/Vamps - fighting for finals
Colts/Bentleigh - need some luck
Heights - struggling
Mordi - going down

Thoughts?

I'd swap Colts and Cranbourne unless PM have injury problems I'm unaware of. going through a rough couple of games but i think they're better than their 3-3 record suggests.

I'd swap Colts and Cranbourne unless PM have injury problems I'm unaware of. going through a rough couple of games but i think they're better than their 3-3 record suggests.
Bellchambers and Hibberd both played on Saturday and they still got rolled by 80 points. They’ve fallen off a cliff

Bellchambers and Hibberd both played on Saturday and they still got rolled by 80 points. They’ve fallen off a cliff
True. But Cranbourne are 1-4 and a draw with the 1 win coming against Mordy. Gallant against Dingley but haven't seen anything from them that really suggests "fighting for finals" like the original post suggested.

True. But Cranbourne are 1-4 and a draw with the 1 win coming against Mordy. Gallant against Dingley but haven't seen anything from them that really suggests "fighting for finals" like the original post suggested.

If Port don’t beat Bentleigh in two weeks they will lose their next three games. Cranny will definitely win two of their next three. Could easily be above Port at the halfway point with a better percentage.

Might head to watch springy play Chelt on Saturday.
Chelt still look like they have quite a few out, so a big chance for districts .

Thoughts on this game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back