Toast Shane Kersten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has been my favourite player at the club since 2012. That's a big call and a lot of people I know think it was a strange one considering he had never played AFL and also carried injuries for a while.

Since day one I have said he has all the attributes to be a gun player at top level. I understand there will be up's and down's along the way, but he will be very important to our club.

On'ya Shane :thumbsu:

Defenite a big pass mark on debut.
Must persist with Shane , recognising that there will be days when it doesn't happen for him.
This will be our future as supporters for a while until the next true assault - we must expect some inconsistencies but keep the faith in the Club.
Can't wait for Jansen and Hamling to debut as well , the future will be exciting and let's hope we can emulate the 2007 experience sooner rather than later.

Told you :D

He is not a centre half forward, he's just a bloody good forward.
But on that first goal, how was Duncans pass?

That is probably the classiest thing I have seen a Geelong player do all year.
At the end of a long run where he busted his gut so that he could take a bounce and then he has the composure to chip it left footed to command Kersten to come back and get it.

Yep it was a very uncharacteristic Geelong inside 50, that's for sure! Duncan is having a very good patch at the moment. Hopefully he has reached his mark and can keep it up for the next 150 games!

He is a natural forward.
There's just something about the way he moves,
Reads the ball early, looks half paced but moves deceptively quick,
gets in the right spot. always keeps his balance, never rushed.
strongly built, a long powerful kick
Has loads of self confidence in his ability

Reminds ne of one of those uncanny players
Where the ball evades his opponent and bounces up for him.
Things will always look simple for him.

He is a natural forward.
There's just something about the way he moves,
Reads the ball early, looks half paced but moves deceptively quick,
gets in the right spot. always keeps his balance, never rushed.
strongly built, a long powerful kick
Has loads of self confidence in his ability

Reminds ne of one of those uncanny players
Where the ball evades his opponent and bounces up for him.
Things will always look simple for him.

anyone else read that to the melody of his majesty george harrisons abbey road classic?

2nd most tackles in the team. about the only one out there tonight who seemed to give 100% in my book.

another wa boy with buckets of talent to don the hoops. taylor at one end, kersten at the other with duncan and jansen in the middle. who else is from over this way?
WA trying to outdo SA in supplying Geelong the best talent outside of Vic. And, it must be said that they're giving it a good shake! I loved Kersto's debut, no one could have expected a better first game from the young man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after two games , its obvious he is talented with ball in hand. Shame he missed the snap , he could have had three in game 2 but what he will have to build on is getting the ball in his hand more often , being better when the ball is on the ground. Do we have any figures for pressure acts? Tackles?
5 goals in two week... he should not be to perturbed about being subbed. If we could just find a Menzel type , a lively 1/2 forward than can mark and is good for a goal. Not sure Murda is that atm( although I liked it when he took of and backed his pace a bit last night)

So after two games , its obvious he is talented with ball in hand. Shame he missed the snap , he could have had three in game 2 but what he will have to build on is getting the ball in his hand more often , being better when the ball is on the ground. Do we have any figures for pressure acts? Tackles?
5 goals in two week... he should not be to perturbed about being subbed. If we could just find a Menzel type , a lively 1/2 forward than can mark and is good for a goal. Not sure Murda is that atm( although I liked it when he took of and backed his pace a bit last night)
1 tackle last night, 4 vs Suns.
Just waiting on winty to put the PAs up.

Kersten like any forward needs a decent kick to advantage to be able to finish the good work. I think even more so with a predominately leading forward. It seems he gets to the front well, leads to right places and can get a yard on his opponent - so if we can actually get some decent kicks into him it will seriously help his confidence and output. And output means we win more games.

GFC needs to recruit a few really good kicks - like Thurlow and Guthrie. Their possessions can result in more productive forward line.

Murdoch kicked a sizzler to him last night, too. A bit more improvement from him (Murdoch)- and we know he's capable- and it might net a couple more goals per game. Things are starting to fall into place, I feel.

Last edited:
The bolded took the words right out of my mouth TC. I'd add that the team needs to find more ways to get the ball in his hands. Because things happen when they do.

I don't actually think there was much he could have done in the 3rd quarter. We just couldn't get our hands on the ball. Much like last week.

Thought his first half was pretty good. Not surprised he got subbed for MF drive. It's also only his 4th game this year so fatigue will be a killer.
But in both games he has shown he is great kick, has a really strong footy brain and the ability to use it.

And as has been mentioned, his best use is on the lead with the ball comin into him out in front which has not be our strong suit.
Strong signs

Go Catters

I think given Hawkins' ability they should keep Shane at home a bit. Have him playing out of the goal square. Ease him in a bit. Rather than smashing him for a let and letting him get tired.

Even with Walker not performing well, I think he helped Kersten in terms of making the Suns 3rd defender go to Kersten instead of the Bombers 2nd which made it a bit harder on Friday night. Once Vardy comes back (or we give Brown/Walker more goes) then Kersten will be off the leash a bit more. But he does have to increase his pressure acts, obviously he isn't really fit after missing quite a bit of footy. Lved that mark he took in the pocket but sadly couldn't convert the snap. 5 goals in 2 games pretty happy with that. Has a chance to double/triple that in the next 3 games against Bulldogs, Melbourne & GWS.

I would, if we get far enough in front, to see Hawk subbed for a 1/2 or so and let Walker, Kersten run the forward line. They do it in the VFL with great success and I think could do it here. Would also be GREAT education for him…

GO Cattesr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back