Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can't recall
Channel 7 Running Sheedys is in in talks to return to Essendon

Would love him in an ambassadorial role.

Sheedy returns home to Essendon
March 10, 2015 11:59 AM

2015103_Sheed_H.jpg

After a seven year absence, the Essendon family is thrilled to welcome Kevin Sheedy home.

The four-time premiership coach and Hall of Fame legend, has been appointed to the newly created role of General Manager, Commercial Development and Innovation.

Essendon Chief Executive Officer Xavier Campbell said Kevin’s return is an important acquisition for the Club.

“Kevin is an icon of the game, a legend of the Essendon Football Club and has more than five decades of experience as a player, coach, administrator and pioneer of the game,” Campbell said.

“Kevin is part of the fabric of our proud Club, he paved the way for social change, broke down barriers and means so much to so many generations of loyal and proud Essendon supporters.”

"We all look forward to welcoming Sheeds home to the Essendon family.”

Campbell said when considering Kevin’s return to the Club, it was important for both parties that any role have purpose.

“When considering a return for Kevin to the Club it was important, for both us and Kevin, that any role not only be ambassadorial but also have genuine meaning and purpose."

“The General Manager, Commercial Development and Innovation position will play a key strategic role for our Club, and is a great fit for Kevin.”

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015-03-10/sheedy-returns-home-to-essendon

Last edited:
Keep him away from making any decisions, please!

But I wouldn't say no to him being around in some sort of ambassadorial role. Though I'm not even really sure what that means at a football club.

I'd happily have him on the board for a start.

In an ambassadorial role (and what that means IMO is schmoozing sponsors, appearing on behalf of the club etc) absolutely.

From an actual football perspective, I would have absolutely no issue whatsoever giving the 1-4 year players to him for a session a week; would be a great experience IMO.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/kevin-sh...-to-essendon-in-new-role-20150302-13t4k2.html

Promotional role to regenerate the club, build membership and more sponsor money. Gold!

3AW said:
Essendon legend Kevin Sheedy is set to make a stunning return to the club before the start of the season.

Sheedy, who led the Bombers to four premierships in his 27 years as coach, remains on Greater Western Sydney's board but is set to drop a bomb on the eve of the season and take up a promotional role at his former club.

The Bombers revealed late last year they were interested in luring Sheedy back to the club.

"Kevin Sheedy is more likely to be at Essendon than he is to be at Greater Western Sydney," 3AW's Sam McClure said on Sports Today.

"The role that track watchers tell me Sheedy is in line for is purely to regenerate the club, to build membership and to find the Bombers more money in sponsorship."

Champion Essendon forward Matthew Lloyd said he hadn't heard whether his old coach was returning to the club but endorsed the move on Sports Today.

"It's news to me but it would be a huge coup for the Bombers in the situation they're in right now," he said on 3AW.

"I haven't had anyone confirm it, but nobody is denying it, either."

Bring him in to lure Jeremy Cameron. :)

Carlise, Hurley and Hooker making one of the all time great backlines and Cameron working together with Daniher up forward... while both are out-shined by Ambrose. I could live with that!!

Anyway Sheedy can host functions for sponsors and the like, he can do a lot of our press conferences and front up to TV shows, he could even go down to AFL house to give them some of his crazy ideas to create new block busters or EFC.

Like Jade said he could spend a bit of time with the young ones just chatting and leave them with a greater sense of footy history and love of the game.

Hird will struggle emotionally at times over the next few years and Sheeds will be great at pumping up his tyres.

I have always wanted Sheedy back in this role since he left the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love this to come true. Sheedy, Hird, Lloyd, Alessio etc. All the old guard coming back.

Judging by our slowing membership numbers, we need a lot in this department at the moment.

Im not sure about slowing?

We broke 60k last year.....

i think you will find if we are proven innocent the current number will sky rocket

I don't really understand the ambassador role. I could not help but laugh at the naivety involved in thinking that Sheedy would have traction in part of Sydney populated by people who don't like AFL and have no idea who Kevin Sheedy is.

We've got an articulate coach, 15 different football directors and other administrators who run the club and we want to appoint a guy to talk to the media? I want to hear from the people with operation control of the club (both within and outside of the football department) who talk to me about what is happening on the ground, why I should be excited, etc.

How does it work, Sheedy fronts up to pressers and talks some convoluted s**t, makes a few journalists laugh and all of the sudden the ASADA problem are no longer in the minds of punters who sign up to be members? Or is it just a reminder of the glory years?

If you're chasing members who are that fickle they're not worth chasing.

I don't really understand the ambassador role. I could not help but laugh at the naivety involved in thinking that Sheedy would have traction in part of Sydney populated by people who don't like AFL and have no idea who Kevin Sheedy is.

We've got an articulate coach, 15 different football directors and other administrators who run the club and we want to appoint a guy to talk to the media? I want to hear from the people with operation control of the club (both within and outside of the football department) who talk to me about what is happening on the ground, why I should be excited, etc.

How does it work, Sheedy fronts up to pressers and talks some convoluted s**t, makes a few journalists laugh and all of the sudden the ASADA problem are no longer in the minds of punters who sign up to be members? Or is it just a reminder of the glory years?

If you're chasing members who are that fickle they're not worth chasing.

Its probably the same logic that people loved Bomber. He was a character, the media swooned all year at his press conferences when really he just acted different to the mould, it wasnt THAT amazing, but i bet people felt a bit like the club had some soul.
I love him but Hird aint a character, hes a straight, down the line speaker and even though he speaks bloody well he is what your average person would consider boring.
People respond (and by people i mean your average footy fan) well to characters, they worship people who are a little bit eccentric and can sell something. Thats all Sheeds will be doing, selling the Essendon brand, and whilst there are probably better people suited to actually doing a negotiating role, there is no one better than Sheeds to be SEEN doing a negotiating/PR role. People expect him to say something weird, that gets them listening already which for us will be half the battle going forward.

Thats what we need, people to listen, to actually stop and think ok ive heard this club is dodgy, and has done so much bad over the last few years. The club isnt in a bad way but its a bit hard to show people that when they wont give you the time of day, people have this image of us, and it will hurt us going forward if we dont activley try and engage people to try and break that image.

Try as they might its very hard to ignore someone who throws themselves at you, even if some will find it annoying its still putting our name out there in a positive light.
For that role there is no one better than Sheeds. plus there is the romantic notion of having him back at the club which for personally is a +

Really, really hope this turns out to be true.

Welcome back Sheeds :) Would have 5k members sign up within a week of if he confirms he is returning in an ambassadorial role!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back