Society/Culture Should the obese population have to pay a fat tax?

Remove this Banner Ad

The drugs thread got me thinking about the effects of people not being able to look after themselves and the ripple effects our economy suffers from as a whole due to the increased expenses in health care.

Given that Australia has one of the highest percentages of fat people in the world and that Heart Attack is our number one killer. Should obese people be forced to pay an extra threshold on top of the medicare levy to

a) give people financial motivation to become healthy
b) subsidise the cost of their health issues related to being overweight.
need to shakespeare venice shylock a pound of fat from each fatty boomba then you can make your Fight Club soap with it like they do for the liposuction medi waste

Fight_Club_Soap_Transparency__by_Lyssterine.png

The drugs thread got me thinking about the effects of people not being able to look after themselves and the ripple effects our economy suffers from as a whole due to the increased expenses in health care.

Given that Australia has one of the highest percentages of fat people in the world and that Heart Attack is our number one killer. Should obese people be forced to pay an extra threshold on top of the medicare levy to

a) give people financial motivation to become healthy
b) subsidise the cost of their health issues related to being overweight.
Yes.
Fast food should be taxed exactly as cigarettes and alcohol, but with all the money going to health rather than pollie junkets and fashion scholarships for Liberal party members kids.

Yes.
Fast food should be taxed exactly as cigarettes and alcohol, but with all the money going to health rather than pollie junkets and fashion scholarships for Liberal party members kids.

Agree. 100% of it should go to education and towards fresh food promotion

need to shakespeare venice shylock a pound of fat from each fatty boomba then you can make your Fight Club soap with it like they do for the liposuction medi waste

Graeme Wood vs Windies at peak on WACA. Brave. As is above sentence!

Well we tax every every other substance that creates self harm. So why not tax junk food since it kills more people than cigarettes.

Well we tax every every other substance that creates self harm. So why not tax junk food since it kills more people than cigarettes.

Because it would be near impossible to regulate. You'd have to tax half the supermarket aisles and every restaurant. As others have said, eat too much of anything and it's bad for you.

Because it would be near impossible to regulate. You'd have to tax half the supermarket aisles and every restaurant. As others have said, eat too much of anything and it's bad for you.

That's why you tax the fat person themselves.

"If your body fat % is above 33% as a man and 40% as a woman you should have to pay a 1% medicare surcharge."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. I think they would. It would be great incentive to lose weight.
Who'll put it forward? The Liberals, with Joe Hockey pulling out his wallet at the press conference and laying a few $100's on the table? The ALP and their equal collection of overweight MPs? Big Clive? Or Sarah Hansen-Young is going to say 'I'm here today as I can hug a tree, but too fat to climb one'?

The only way anything that is so controversial like this could get up is for the major parties to have a bipartisan committee that would commission an independent review. And that's really going to happen in today's environment. When a $7 surcharge is painted as destroying Medicare, I'm sure Shorten would be only too pleased to paint the government as trying to rip hundreds of dollars a year from 'honest working families' whilst insulting them to boot. It's a me-me-me 'everyone is awesome' society these days, where no one is allowed to be criticised.

That's why you tax the fat person themselves.

"If your body fat % is above 33% as a man and 40% as a woman you should have to pay a 1% medicare surcharge."

The thing is that not every Obese person is 'unhealthy' & a drain on the health system. Obesity is a risk factor, not a catagory of illness.

Also I see quite normal weight people who have diabetes, COAD & other chronic disorders. They tend see the Drs & nurses quite regularly.

Smoking, alcohol & drugs are a bigger problem IMO. These tend to drain the medical system as well as police & the courts time. Violence is strongly attached to these substances.

The thing is that not every Obese person is 'unhealthy' & a drain on the health system. Obesity is a risk factor, not a catagory of illness.

Also I see quite normal weight people who have diabetes, COAD & other chronic disorders. They tend see the Drs & nurses quite regularly.

Smoking, alcohol & drugs are a bigger problem IMO. These tend to drain the medical system as well as police & the courts time. Violence is strongly attached to these substances.

Not every person who smokes or takes drugs is a health burden either. But they are FAR more likely to be. The same with obesity. You are not guaranteed to have heart problems but I wouldn't bet against it.

People are free to smoke, but pay a tax to do it.

People are free to overeat. but should pay a tax to do it.

Most people are fat. It would be political suicide for any party that put it forward.
Most people used to drink and smoke?
Most people drive cars too fast and have a beer or two too many....

They are paying more for food and in restaurants so that's extra money going into society.

Seems like a small issue at the moment that I doubt any politician would touch. You'd piss off a lot of people - much more than the 10% or so who smoke. Life expectancy in Australia has steadily been going up for years. Perhaps look at it if you start seeing a negative trend.

Not every person who smokes or takes drugs is a health burden either. But they are FAR more likely to be. The same with obesity. You are not guaranteed to have heart problems but I wouldn't bet against it.

People are free to smoke, but pay a tax to do it.

People are free to overeat. but should pay a tax to do it.

Takeaway food is taxed GST. Self prepared fresh food is GST free.

Anyway, how would you levy a 'fat tax'? What are the costs of implementing it? Would you need to employ more public servants to measure & weigh the population? etc etc

Takeaway food is taxed GST. Self prepared fresh food is GST free.

Anyway, how would you levy a 'fat tax'? What are the costs of implementing it? Would you need to employ more public servants to measure & weigh the population? etc etc

And cigarettes have GST on them as well so anything extra is pointless right?

It's why I prefer a tax on fat food rather then people. The complience cost would be high for people. Food is easier.

Although a case could be made for some sort of scheduled medical checkups for everyone. Probably would save money in the long run due to prevention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back