• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnny Bananas

Queensland's greatest love machine
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I used to be one of those people who wanted to abolish states altogether, since I identify much more with my city than my state, and I felt the rest of Queensland was holding Brisbane back from having a more progressive approach to health, education, justice etc. For their part, people in country areas have long bemoaned being ruled from their nearest capital city.

Then Covid happened, and it was useful to have states with the power to shut their borders to contain the spread of the virus. I realised that there's no way states are going away after that, no matter how ineffective or disdained they are.

So that got me thinking, if people feel their states aren't properly representative of them, is the answer to have more states that are smaller, at least on the east coast where there's the population to support them? Major cities and their surrounds could have laws reflecting the progressive mindset of their residents, and country areas that secede could keep more of the wealth they believe is unjustly taken from them by the major cities (not that I agree with their views, but that's how they seem to look at the world).

But, you might ask, do we really want to carve out a new state and give it as much Senate representation as the existing states have? Not an issue. Section 7 of the constitution says that it's only the original states (at Federation) that are entitled to an equal number of senators. Any new state can be given as few senators as the federal parliament wants them to have. (Interestingly, the constitution also says the Queensland parliament can create its own internal divisions and have each one elect its own senators, but this has never been put into practice).

So where would these new states go? Well, the Mad Katter has been demanding separation for North Queensland for a good while now in his usual cranky manner. As a progressive southern Queenslander, I'd be only too happy to give him what he wants and wish him bon voyage. He can have Mackay and its coalfields too, since they'll be a lot less useful for tax revenue in future as the world switches to renewables.

Another promising candidate I've seen was suggested a few years back by Victorian MP Tim Quilty: Greater Melbourne and Geelong become one state, Greater Sydney (probably including the Central Coast and Illawarra, maybe the Hunter) becomes another state, the remainder of NSW and Victoria merges to become a third state. He has another idea of just merging northern Victoria and southern NSW to be a third state, although this would have a lower population.

What do you think? More states, or is the status quo just fine?

I used to be one of those people who wanted to abolish states altogether, since I identify much more with my city than my state, and I felt the rest of Queensland was holding Brisbane back from having a more progressive approach to health, education, justice etc. For their part, people in country areas have long bemoaned being ruled from their nearest capital city.

Then Covid happened, and it was useful to have states with the power to shut their borders to contain the spread of the virus. I realised that there's no way states are going away after that, no matter how ineffective or disdained they are.

So that got me thinking, if people feel their states aren't properly representative of them, is the answer to have more states that are smaller, at least on the east coast where there's the population to support them? Major cities and their surrounds could have laws reflecting the progressive mindset of their residents, and country areas that secede could keep more of the wealth they believe is unjustly taken from them by the major cities (not that I agree with their views, but that's how they seem to look at the world).

But, you might ask, do we really want to carve out a new state and give it as much Senate representation as the existing states have? Not an issue. Section 7 of the constitution says that it's only the original states (at Federation) that are entitled to an equal number of senators. Any new state can be given as few senators as the federal parliament wants them to have. (Interestingly, the constitution also says the Queensland parliament can create its own internal divisions and have each one elect its own senators, but this has never been put into practice).

So where would these new states go? Well, the Mad Katter has been demanding separation for North Queensland for a good while now in his usual cranky manner. As a progressive southern Queenslander, I'd be only too happy to give him what he wants and wish him bon voyage. He can have Mackay and its coalfields too, since they'll be a lot less useful for tax revenue in future as the world switches to renewables.

Another promising candidate I've seen was suggested a few years back by Victorian MP Tim Quilty: Greater Melbourne and Geelong become one state, Greater Sydney (probably including the Central Coast and Illawarra, maybe the Hunter) becomes another state, the remainder of NSW and Victoria merges to become a third state. He has another idea of just merging northern Victoria and southern NSW to be a third state, although this would have a lower population.

Make the ACT just a council within NSW and give its two senators to the NT. Canberra already has too much influence and it is just a city.

After that, scrap the councils - saves money to reinvest in services and avoids confusion/blame dodging between councils and local members.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Make the ACT just a council within NSW and give its two senators to the NT. Canberra already has too much influence and it is just a city.
Please explain. How have the interests of people living in Canberra been replicated in national policy?

After that, scrap the councils - saves money to reinvest in services and avoids confusion/blame dodging between councils and local members.
Councils give people a say over how their local area is shaped and how it develops. Why take away the facet of government that is closest to the people? It seems anti-democratic.

The demand for new states or change to the status quo seems virtually non-existent, no? I've heard about a North Queensland state discussed in the news maybe twice since Bob Katter became relevant in 2010 but the idea never seems to gain enough traction to be taken seriously.

Tim Quilty's idea though - not sure what problem this is trying to solve? The only benefit I can see coming from this is that Melbourne and Sydney are free to run their own budgets without having to pay for the provision of services and infrastructure to the regions. I have never encountered anyone in regional Vic or NSW that wanted their own state separate from Melbourne or Sydney. I don't even think there's a net saving to be enjoyed by anyone as the regional states would become a new Tasmania and need to be propped up by GST revenue at the expense of the financially productive states.

Quilty's plan has NSW and Vic without Sydney and Melbourne. That "state" would be incredibly poor. Our populations and wealth are so concentrated in capital cities.

Quilty's plan has NSW and Vic without Sydney and Melbourne. That "state" would be incredibly poor. Our populations and wealth are so concentrated in capital cities.

Yep, remove any capital from the state and you'd ruin them.
1707094835371.png

I voted for yes....

I dont think it will happen in my life time though.

Population right now is 26 million. I am curious how it all pans out when theres 50 million people here.

WAs population is 2.6 million while SAs population is 1.6 million. WAs population will hit 3 million before SAs population hits 2 million.

Hell, I wont be suprised if WAs population hits 5 or even 6 million before SA hits 3 million.

I look at NSW for example... There is 8 million people there. 2-3 million live in Western NSW, Which is a stretch of 60-100 kms.

Could you Divide NSW in 2 or 3 different states? I dont know.

Theres 5 million in Queensland. North Queensland has Townsville and Carins. Would North Queenland want to become its own state?

New England was thrown around as potential state at some stage. It includes the Hunter region and elsewhere.

Perhaps the NT amalgamating with the north of WA could be a state - just draw a line continuing from SA northern border. would be the state with the largest area and smallest population. but should have a few good mineral resources at their disposal.

Either scrap state governments or scrap local ones and have an increased number of smaller state governments.

Agree on a formula like that. However, as an example, Albury and Wodonga should form a small 'state' govt given their proximity. Good luck getting Vic or NSW to agree to redrawn existing state boundaries though! The whole Murray twin town pairs would be a metaphorical battleground, irrespective of political allegiance.

Agree on a formula like that. However, as an example, Albury and Wodonga should form a small 'state' govt given their proximity. Good luck getting Vic or NSW to agree to redrawn existing state boundaries though! The whole Murray twin town pairs would be a metaphorical battleground, irrespective of political allegiance.
We all know the Murrumbidgee should be the true border. Thievin' NSW bastards

Reinstate the January 1840 Border NOW!!!
1707196581890.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either scrap state governments or scrap local ones and have an increased number of smaller state governments.
Makes more sense to scrap the Feds than the states. The states are the ones actually doing things. But then the local ones are the only ones that understand what's relevant locally. Yeah * it, axe the feds, maybe come up with some kind of defence agreement between states and call it a day.

I've always hated having 2 major parties going back and forth slowing down our improvement as a society. If all the RWNJ's could go to one state that would be amazing. The rest of the country would be progressive and catapult their advancement whilst the RWNJ state would eventually collapse as they would be grifting off each other and have no cheap labour to abuse. They would also have nothing left to complain and have fake outrage about.

Trillions have flowed through our country in the last 10 years and we have literally nothing to show for it. Life is still essentially the same as it was in 2014. At least here in Vic it still isn't perfect but at least we have level crossing removals, metro tunnel etc to show how far we have come from 10 years ago.

New England was thrown around as potential state at some stage. It includes the Hunter region and elsewhere.

Perhaps the NT amalgamating with the north of WA could be a state - just draw a line continuing from SA northern border. would be the state with the largest area and smallest population. but should have a few good mineral resources at their disposal.
King Barnaby to reign supreme over his kingdom of New England

you could divide WA into 2 or 3 or even 4 different states can you?

Back