Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (11) released 14/5

Season (1) :
• Noah Long (Knee) - Season (Was TBC)

Long Term (1) :
• R15+ Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (2) :
• R14-15 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-5 weeks (Was 4-6 weeks)
• R13-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 3-4 weeks (Was 4-5 weeks)

Short Term (4) :
• R12-13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks (Was 3-4 weeks)
• R11-13 Jack Petruccelle (Ankle) - 1-3 weeks (New)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 1-2 weeks (Was 2-3 weeks)
• R11-12 Harry Barnett (Shin) - 1-2 weeks (Was 2-3 weeks)

Test (3) :
Elliot Yeo (Groin) - Test (Was 1-2 weeks)
• Clay Hall (Hand) - (New)
Jeremy McGovern (Internal) - (New)

Jake Waterman and Zane Trew have both been taken off the injury list after being cleared through their respective concussion protocols

Injury list doesn’t include Tyler Brockman who won’t play for an indefinite period due to personal reasons following a late night car accident in Geraldton

Can somebody tell me what happens if Trew gets concussed in the wafl where there is a 21 day concussion rule - can he play at afl level after 14 days if he’s symptom free?
Am I right that he would miss this week of wafl otherwise?

Can somebody tell me what happens if Trew gets concussed in the wafl where there is a 21 day concussion rule - can he play at afl level after 14 days if he’s symptom free?
Am I right that he would miss this week of wafl otherwise?

Ps not sure if he was concussed at training or during a wafl game and not sure if that changes anything

Good question. The club listed him as 1-2 weeks so I presume they’re treating him as being under the 12-day rules.

The whole thing about WAFL rules vs AFL rules and how it would apply to our players when in the WAFL was never really clearly sorted out, as far as I’m aware. It’s ridiculous to think that he’d be out for 21 days if it happened in a game, but because it was match sim during a bye it’s only 12 days, but that might be the case.

Just on this, Schoey said MCL is definite and feeling within the club is Long has done an ACL as well.

Sad Sports Bar GIF by Originals

Seriously though, if this true then Guelfi needs to pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some clubs have on site services for scans. We do not. Ours are off site and rely on site availability.

This doesn’t add up to me.

Always see media coverage blokes from other clubs coming and going from scans off site and they get results far quicker than this.

I have often wondered this. Melbourne teams have scans over the weekend at private clinics. I am also w aware that sometimes there is a need to reduce swelling first and that a day or two may not make any difference. But!!

Actually I think it just clicked.

It’s Sunday trading hours. Players can get scans on Sunday in VIC.

You can probably get xrays or ct scans more easily on the weekend but not mri.
Not aware of any private Sunday mri services but could be wrong

And it depends on the injury as well.

For Long, a day or 3 really won’t make a heap of difference. The outcome is the outcome and if it is rest that is required he would already be into it. Surgery, they probably wait for swelling etc to subside a little so timeframes would be similar.

Yeo, I assume an initial ultrasound is done by the club (hell, I played ammo’s in the early 2000’s and even we had an ultrasound available for soft tissue injury diagnosis), not sure what the next level is (mri?).

Would be ideal if we needed an MRI to have an on call facility 7days a week, but it is more just frustrating as supporters rather than a negative net effect for injury management

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For Long, a day or 3 really won’t make a heap of difference. The outcome is the outcome and if it is rest that is required he would already be into it. Surgery, they probably wait for swelling etc to subside a little so timeframes would be similar.

Yeo, I assume an initial ultrasound is done by the club (hell, I played ammo’s in the early 2000’s and even we had an ultrasound available for soft tissue injury diagnosis), not sure what the next level is (mri?).

Would be ideal if we needed an MRI to have an on call facility 7days a week, but it is more just frustrating as supporters rather than a negative net effect for injury management

Agree it’s more from a supporter perspective, plus I’d add that certainty for players sooner is probably better for their immediate state of mind rather than uncertainty for days on end.

The NFL teams have them on the sidelines at games so they are done straight away

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have often wondered this. Melbourne teams have scans over the weekend at private clinics. I am also w aware that sometimes there is a need to reduce swelling first and that a day or two may not make any difference. But!!
Another WA team or possibly non Victorian team disadvantage. Even though it's minimal it could be the difference between treating the injury already yesterday and being available next week to not making recovery in time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back