Toast Small Grand Final joys: the petty schadenfreude derived from denying *other people's* schadenfreude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Schadenfreude (noun): The pleasure derived from the misfortune of others

As we all know, a time-honoured part of being a fan of team sports is indulging in schadenfreude at the expense of opposition clubs and their fans. God knows Dimma ranting about the Arc never gets old. However, as enjoyable as that is, I would submit that there is a sub-genre of schadenfreude that is even more delightful than the generic-brand, "vanilla" schadenfreude. I'm going to refer to this niche schadenfreude as "the joy that comes from denying other supporters schadenfreude that they anticipated being able to indulge in at your expense." This occurs when there is something that opposition fans anticipate and think they will be able to hang s**t on your club about, but ultimately are unable to because their talking point gets debunked or a narrative they expect to occur doesn't come true.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that in the aftermath of our glorious Grand Final triumph, I cannot help but notice that over this finals series there have been DOZENS of examples of this phenomenon for us to enjoy. We seemed to go out of our way to debunk every single anti-Geelong narrative in existence. Glorious.

Anyway, I feel compelled to catalogue each of them below. Feel free to add your own if you think of anything else. :shoutyoldman:

-------------------------------------------

EXPECTATION:

"Lmao, Chris Scott is a phony who can't win finals."

REALITY:

4709.jpg

EXPECTATION:

"Geelong's recruitment is hilarious. Imagine thinking that a team of pensioners could actually win a premiership."

REALITY:

FdZwdoGaAAIFZxM

EXPECTATION:

"There's nothing better than seeing Cats fans miserable."

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

"Three first-round draft picks for Jeremy Cameron?!?! The Cats have thrown away their future."

REALITY:

PwHOc6zh.jpg

EXPECTATION:

"All that hype, all those individual awards for Dangershank, but in the end he'll walk away from the game like Nathan Buckley....with not a single flag to show for his career."

REALITY:

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fc8fde2a4-105e-4562-91f8-22182968ddea

EXPECTATION:

"Gary Rohan is the worst finals player of all time."

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

"Not only has the Cats' all-in strategy failed, but they've screwed their future as well. Have you seen their list? Not a single good player under the age of 25."

REALITY:

6f11fb8ad299216a359603c4b9219907

bf09804b9757ff09291ec94a7a732ecb

7uyTKOHJ.jpg

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE :shoutyoldman:

EXPECTATION:

"So-called greatest captain of all time Joel Selwood is going to retire without having led his club to a flag. And this is the leader the media drools over? LOL."

REALITY:

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F228c85ff-5084-4cf5-bd45-775e2e33143a

EXPECTATION:

"FIGJAM Dangershank is only in it for himself."

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

"Geelong are downhill skiiers who fail as soon as they're away from their Cheat Stadium."

REALITY:

mcg.jpg

I was gonna lock this up for diplomatic reasons..

I just threw by diplomacy book in the sea..

Carry on…

And it’s done so well abs anonymously…

Let it roll

Winners are grinners and the salty may lick salty.

They were all wrong lmao!

Go Catters

As we all know, a time-honoured part of being a fan of team sports is indulging in schadenfreude at the expense of opposition clubs and their fans. God knows Dimma ranting about the Arc never gets old. However, as enjoyable as that is, I would submit that there is a sub-genre of schadenfreude that is even more delightful than the generic-brand, "vanilla" schadenfreude. I'm going to refer to this niche schadenfreude as "the joy that comes from denying other supporters schadenfreude that they anticipated being able to indulge in at your expense." This occurs when there is something that opposition fans anticipate and think they will be able to hang s**t on your club about, but ultimately are unable to because their talking point gets debunked or a narrative they expect to occur doesn't come true.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that in the aftermath of our glorious Grand Final triumph, I cannot help but notice that over this finals series there have been DOZENS of examples of this phenomenon for us to enjoy. We seemed to go out of our way to debunk every single anti-Geelong narrative in existence. Glorious.

Anyway, I feel compelled to catalogue each of them below. Feel free to add your own if you think of anything else. :shoutyoldman:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

4709.jpg

EXPECTATION:

"Geelong's recruitment is hilarious. Imagine thinking that a team of pensioners could actually win a premiership."

REALITY:

FdZwdoGaAAIFZxM

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

"Three first-round draft picks for Jeremy Cameron?!?! The Cats have thrown away their future."

REALITY:

PwHOc6zh.jpg

EXPECTATION:

"All that hype, all those individual awards for Dangershank, but in the end he'll walk away from the game like Nathan Buckley....with not a single flag to show for his career."

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

"Not only has the Cats' all-in strategy failed, but they've screwed their future as well. Have you seen their list? Not a single good player under the age of 25."

REALITY:

7uyTKOHJ.jpg

This is one of the better threads of all time

Won't lie, I have taken great delight knowing that our win made a lot of people unhappy.
All the finals Sydney got a 6-7 goal head start on us, this is karma. Hope it eats at Swans fans for years to come

Can we open up this thread to opposition supporters so we can see all their saltiness and regret dripping in front of us like a rainbow of vomit and tears?

All threads on the Geelong board are open to opposition posters to contribute - they just have to stay on topic & be respectful in regards to the content of their posts

So why would any opposition poster want to contribute in a manner likely to see a thread ban at the minimum... Postings of such manner would turn into a s**t fight & achieve nothing for anyone

Besides, what you're suggesting seems very similar to a current thread already on the board where that stuffs already shared

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming over from Perth to the GF it was amazing to see the amount of Flagmantle supporters on the plane who had bought air fares way back when they were 8:2 and going great guns :p
I should add that the ones I spoke to were very good natured about it though....

Last edited:
Coming over from Perth to the GF it was amazing to see the amount of Flagmantle supporters on the plane who had bought air fares way back when they were 8:2 and going great guns :p

Bit like watching the 2007 grand final and seeing that small pocket of Eagles fans sitting in the pocket.

Great thread, and there may be extra saltiness after what could be a bumper trade haul with Bowes choosing the Cats, and hopefully Henry and Bruhn. 20 years ago we couldn't even entice Ray Hall to the club, now Geelong is THE destination club...the place to be!

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

4709.jpg

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

FdZwdoGaAAIFZxM

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

PwHOc6zh.jpg

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

7uyTKOHJ.jpg

I EFFING LOVE THIS :heart:

Great thread, and there may be extra saltiness after what could be a bumper trade haul with Bowes choosing the Cats, and hopefully Henry and Bruhn. 20 years ago we couldn't even entice Ray Hall to the club, now Geelong is THE destination club...the place to be!
Bowes, Bruhn and Henry all first round picks as well, who cares if we have the oldest list when we can just pinch great talent after they've had a few years of development at AFL level before they even hit their peaks. Best run club in the league

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE :shoutyoldman:

EXPECTATION:

"So-called greatest captain of all time Joel Selwood is going to retire without having led his club to a flag. And this is the leader the media drools over? LOL."

REALITY:

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F228c85ff-5084-4cf5-bd45-775e2e33143a

EXPECTATION:

"FIGJAM Dangershank is only in it for himself."

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

"Geelong are downhill skiiers who fail as soon as they're away from their Cheat Stadium."

REALITY:

View attachment 1521732

Mate, you are on an epic roll!!!

The hate on Twitter has been spectacular in the last few days.

It’s done a complete 180 from ‘look at all these useless players they keep bringing in from other clubs, countries or sports’ to ‘how do they keep doing it’

I even saw Channel 7 tweet a clip of Jesse Pinkman’s famous ‘they can’t keep getting away with iiiiiit!!!!’ Outburst

Bowes, Bruhn and Henry all first round picks as well, who cares if we have the oldest list when we can just pinch great talent after they've had a few years of development at AFL level before they even hit their peaks. Best run club in the league
Well why wouldn't you come to Geelong. As a team, you're pretty much assured of playing 23 to 25 games a year unlike some clubs that only get to play 22.

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

4709.jpg

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

FdZwdoGaAAIFZxM

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

PwHOc6zh.jpg

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

7uyTKOHJ.jpg

1d8c526d07156f4c97cc1c4b1bc9b17f.jpg 1da86693c1c155742dc5cf6e79944ae8.jpeg f58f2bc7254fa5b9104aa6a14aaf9332.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back