Smokeys 12 week plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Eat an apple instead of the tim tam. Keep nothing fattening at home so you are not tempted. By Burgen's weight reducing bread if you must eat bread. Have a stock of apples for snacks. Get rid of cheese, buy low fat milk. Maybe get a dietician rather than a personal trainer.

Already have a few pieces of fruit in the diet (compensation for a lack of veggies:)), only 1 small bread roll per day (I like bread), and even with the dreaded tim tam, I'm about 3000kj/day short of what I should be eating. I have to add another meal or so, firstly I'll toss in a couple of hundred grams of baked skinless chicken breast, maybe start making some sweet potato crisps (baked) to add as a snack. That should get me in the range.

I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, so after we've done with the "touch your toes and brace yourself" part of the visit, I'll be talking to her about 3 things;

1. A pain I get in my right arm, sort of runs through the deltoid, brachialis, brachioradialis - if I hold my arm at 90 degrees to the vertical and rotate it backward, and also when I do lat pull downs/vert traction type exercises It can occur, varying from an ache to a shooting pain. It's been there for a while (pre exercise regime), so I'd like to get it sorted. Dare say there's going to be some Physio, scans x-rays and the like involved in this - good thing I'm saving a shitload of cash with my quit smoking attempt (more on this later)
2. Weight loss - I'll ask her to review my plans, and gladly accept any suggestions she has for me
3. Muscle gain - Being type 2 diabetic, muscle mass is a great help in processing insulin properly, so I'll be seeking my Docs input on this. I'm pretty keen to reduce the meds I'm on, and it appears that muscle is the key (along with weight loss) so if she suggests I visit the offices of Messrs Dank and Charter, I'll be on board! Realistically, I'm looking for advice on diet and medication, and hoping for some help with my sleep issues.

I have 16 hours until my next PT session, I'll chat with her about my concerns regarding the overuse of certain muscle groups, and the way it affected my plans. Other than that, I'll just shut up and take my punishment like the little whiny bitch I am.

Smoking....

Well, I've mentioned I've reduced my smoking by about 2/3rds, saving myself about $25 per day! My prime motivation for quitting is health, but that's much harder to quantify than cash in my pocket, and being a shallow type of person I love material things, so I'm going to use the $250/week (and change) I'll save to put towards a new laptop. My strategy so far has been to note the time for every cigarette I smoke, not carry cigarettes when I leave the house, and to "vape" with nicotine free vaping liquid as a first response when I feel the need to smoke. Can't say it's been 100% pleasant, but very do-able, and after I patch up next Tuesday (1 Dec) I'll be smoke free. No bullshit "I'll just sneak a ciggy with Xmas drinks" excuses - I'll just be smoke free Smokey!

Well, I started off this post defending my daily tim tam, went totally off on my own tangent, so I'll tidy this post up by saying - If I can't have a vice, then there's no use in living - and you can quote me on that:)

Already have a few pieces of fruit in the diet (compensation for a lack of veggies:)), only 1 small bread roll per day (I like bread), and even with the dreaded tim tam, I'm about 3000kj/day short of what I should be eating. I have to add another meal or so, firstly I'll toss in a couple of hundred grams of baked skinless chicken breast, maybe start making some sweet potato crisps (baked) to add as a snack. That should get me in the range.

I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, so after we've done with the "touch your toes and brace yourself" part of the visit, I'll be talking to her about 3 things;

1. A pain I get in my right arm, sort of runs through the deltoid, brachialis, brachioradialis - if I hold my arm at 90 degrees to the vertical and rotate it backward, and also when I do lat pull downs/vert traction type exercises It can occur, varying from an ache to a shooting pain. It's been there for a while (pre exercise regime), so I'd like to get it sorted. Dare say there's going to be some Physio, scans x-rays and the like involved in this - good thing I'm saving a shitload of cash with my quit smoking attempt (more on this later)
2. Weight loss - I'll ask her to review my plans, and gladly accept any suggestions she has for me
3. Muscle gain - Being type 2 diabetic, muscle mass is a great help in processing insulin properly, so I'll be seeking my Docs input on this. I'm pretty keen to reduce the meds I'm on, and it appears that muscle is the key (along with weight loss) so if she suggests I visit the offices of Messrs Dank and Charter, I'll be on board! Realistically, I'm looking for advice on diet and medication, and hoping for some help with my sleep issues.

I have 16 hours until my next PT session, I'll chat with her about my concerns regarding the overuse of certain muscle groups, and the way it affected my plans. Other than that, I'll just shut up and take my punishment like the little whiny bitch I am.

Smoking....

Well, I've mentioned I've reduced my smoking by about 2/3rds, saving myself about $25 per day! My prime motivation for quitting is health, but that's much harder to quantify than cash in my pocket, and being a shallow type of person I love material things, so I'm going to use the $250/week (and change) I'll save to put towards a new laptop. My strategy so far has been to note the time for every cigarette I smoke, not carry cigarettes when I leave the house, and to "vape" with nicotine free vaping liquid as a first response when I feel the need to smoke. Can't say it's been 100% pleasant, but very do-able, and after I patch up next Tuesday (1 Dec) I'll be smoke free. No bullshit "I'll just sneak a ciggy with Xmas drinks" excuses - I'll just be smoke free Smokey!

Well, I started off this post defending my daily tim tam, went totally off on my own tangent, so I'll tidy this post up by saying - If I can't have a vice, then there's no use in living - and you can quote me on that:)
Awesome read smokey, keep it up :thumbsu:

Hi all,

Sorry for not updating on schedule, but I'm a bit disappointed. I mentioned in a previous post that I had some pain in my right arm, well my Doc says it's a rotator cuff issue, and surgery is looking like the only solution. I'm not keen on surgery, in fact it scares the s**t out of me, so I'll take 2 weeks off any upper body work

Anyhow, I did manage to lose weight last week (a total of 4 kilo),but I expect to have put on some this week, I've done f all exercise and eaten some junk, but I plan on getting back into it from Sunday - 2 cardio sessions per day and see how I go.

Hi all,

Sorry for not updating on schedule, but I'm a bit disappointed. I mentioned in a previous post that I had some pain in my right arm, well my Doc says it's a rotator cuff issue, and surgery is looking like the only solution. I'm not keen on surgery, in fact it scares the s**t out of me, so I'll take 2 weeks off any upper body work

Anyhow, I did manage to lose weight last week (a total of 4 kilo),but I expect to have put on some this week, I've done f all exercise and eaten some junk, but I plan on getting back into it from Sunday - 2 cardio sessions per day and see how I go.
The important thing is you get back into it, don't give up and think because you have had one bad week it's pointless. Tackle the new week with an open mind and vision yourself at your goal weight, it's all in your mind mate, you can do it!

Hi all,

Well, it's a New Year, not the end of my plan, but I'll give you an update....

On the bad side, I've only lost 8kg, I wanted to lose more but I've had some issues - I need surgery on both my shoulders, occasionally my left knee balloons to soccer ball size, and when I last saw my Doctor (hoping for a miracle cure, steroids or the like) she just told me to avoid the exercises that caused me pain.....

On the plus side, I've lost 8 kilo!

My future...

I've found a masseuse who can help me with my right shoulder problems (strangely, I feel them in my bicep), but I'll be talking to my Doctor about surgery soon, hopefully I'll get it done in winter.

I'll be doing something I find very silly - driving to the gym to ride the stationary bikes and hit the treadmill, when my knee blows up I'll spend more time rowing.

I had a very bad day on the 22ndof December, my German Shepherd bitch (Luna) who had been fighting cancer for a couple of years - well, She put up a very good fight, but she reached the stage that she was in pain, so I had to allow the Vet to put her down. She had an op tp remove a tumor in Nov 2014 and we haven't had a walk since them. My GSD Dog (Zeus) is a year younger and has been missing his half sister, so we're compensating by going for a daily walk (while Luna was sick, we didn't do a lot of outside activities). I'm thinking of getting another dog, because if I didn't have Zeus I would have topped myself.

I go back to work on Monday, so I have to work out an exercise routine and diet plan that suits my life style ( 12 hour shifts, 5 2/3 day 3 week rotation). Luckily I have plenty of time on night shift to get away to the gym so thats going to be my primary exercise time. I also have a s**t load of sick leave so I'm going to push my Doctor to get my shoulders fixed. I

Hi all,

Well, it's a New Year, not the end of my plan, but I'll give you an update....

On the bad side, I've only lost 8kg, I wanted to lose more but I've had some issues - I need surgery on both my shoulders, occasionally my left knee balloons to soccer ball size, and when I last saw my Doctor (hoping for a miracle cure, steroids or the like) she just told me to avoid the exercises that caused me pain.....

On the plus side, I've lost 8 kilo!

My future...

I've found a masseuse who can help me with my right shoulder problems (strangely, I feel them in my bicep), but I'll be talking to my Doctor about surgery soon, hopefully I'll get it done in winter.

I'll be doing something I find very silly - driving to the gym to ride the stationary bikes and hit the treadmill, when my knee blows up I'll spend more time rowing.

I had a very bad day on the 22ndof December, my German Shepherd bitch (Luna) who had been fighting cancer for a couple of years - well, She put up a very good fight, but she reached the stage that she was in pain, so I had to allow the Vet to put her down. She had an op tp remove a tumor in Nov 2014 and we haven't had a walk since them. My GSD Dog (Zeus) is a year younger and has been missing his half sister, so we're compensating by going for a daily walk (while Luna was sick, we didn't do a lot of outside activities). I'm thinking of getting another dog, because if I didn't have Zeus I would have topped myself.

I go back to work on Monday, so I have to work out an exercise routine and diet plan that suits my life style ( 12 hour shifts, 5 2/3 day 3 week rotation). Luckily I have plenty of time on night shift to get away to the gym so thats going to be my primary exercise time. I also have a s**t load of sick leave so I'm going to push my Doctor to get my shoulders fixed. I

Where do you live? I can recommend a really good Chinese medicine practitioner if you aren't far from footscray. The guy is a freak. He cured my golfers elbow in 2 sessions. Fixed my back 2 times, and settled my neck for months on end - neck isn't fixable but he helps keep it at bay and the migraines that come along with it.

Best thing about him is he doesn't want to see you often. Says if you need more than 1 or 2 30mins sessions he isn't doing his job properly. Have recommended 5-6 people to him, they all swear by him.

How has this gone long term?

Couldn't find a more recent thread re:weight loss so have bumped this one, hope it's appropriate.

I'm setting my own goals, 12 weeks takes me to the 7th of November. I've gained around 20 kilos in the last two years, at last weigh in was sitting at 102kg and am aiming to drop 10 by my goal point (sitting at 92kg would have me comfortably in the "healthy" weight range and not using the line between that range and overweight as a skipping rope as I have been recently.)

Would love to hear everyone else's stories should they have a crack too.

Couldn't find a more recent thread re:weight loss so have bumped this one, hope it's appropriate.

I'm setting my own goals, 12 weeks takes me to the 7th of November. I've gained around 20 kilos in the last two years, at last weigh in was sitting at 102kg and am aiming to drop 10 by my goal point (sitting at 92kg would have me comfortably in the "healthy" weight range and not using the line between that range and overweight as a skipping rope as I have been recently.)

I have lost 16kgs since February but it has been a slog... I was 110kg after some medication made me balloon out 20kg in 12 months... started off walking on treadmill on a small incline, to now I can run 20 mins, cycle 20 min, cross trainer 40 min, swim 20 min all in 1 session. I have put on a lot of muscle to so my true fat loss is probably a few kg higher... still sometimes eat the wrong foods but I do more things right than wrong... its the only way to do it... still could probably lose another 10kg then I'd be pretty ripped. :)

What is your height?

What is your height?
I stand at 195cm, so that kind of weight is borderline acceptable, but I realised when I moved across the country exactly the extent that I'd let myself slip when I only had one pair of jeans that fitted me comfortably to pack. :(

I would've taken the same size since I stopped growing at 17 so this was probably the biggest warning sign for how much I'd lost control of weight in such a short space of time.

I stand at 195cm, so that kind of weight is borderline acceptable, but I realised when I moved across the country exactly the extent that I'd let myself slip when I only had one pair of jeans that fitted me comfortably to pack. :(

I would've taken the same size since I stopped growing at 17 so this was probably the biggest warning sign for how much I'd lost control of weight in such a short space of time.

Any yeah so fitness shouldn't be too much of a struggle but those last 5kg are a nightmare to shift...

Any yeah so fitness shouldn't be too much of a struggle but those last 5kg are a nightmare to shift...
Absolutely, but I'm hoping the move over east will contribute to having a touch more motivation to get out and about on different runs. :)

Just need to lock myself away in the gym

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at 70kg start of this year, now slowly worked my way down to 66kg.

Not sure what my goal is, considering it's been at least 6 years since I've been this light. I really want to break the 65 mark though, then aim for 63. I think if I hit 63 by the end of the year I'd be chuffed by that.

Recently gotten back to the gym, just trying to juggle between going to the gym every 2 days and uni, plus trying to run as well.

What sucks is that I used to hate running because I was unfit, but now I've gotten a bit fitter and with Pokemon Go, I love running.

But have recently gone for scans and i have osteoarthritis and patellar tendonitis in my left knee which is hindering my ability to run which really sucks.

Not sure what my goal is, considering it's been at least 6 years since I've been this light. I really want to break the 65 mark though, then aim for 63. I think if I hit 63 by the end of the year I'd be chuffed by that.

Recently gotten back to the gym, just trying to juggle between going to the gym every 2 days and uni, plus trying to run as well.

What sucks is that I used to hate running because I was unfit, but now I've gotten a bit fitter and with Pokemon Go, I love running.

But have recently gone for scans and i have osteoarthritis and patellar tendonitis in my left knee which is hindering my ability to run which really sucks.
Best of luck on the injury front, they're not fun to navigate. :(

I have similar problems that's why I alternate, depending on how I feel but I can always do something otherwise just sit in the sauna lol.

So just find using this thread to keep track of my own progress as quite handy, if anyone has any objections let me know. :p

Weighed myself for the first time since I came across from Perth three weeks ago, came in at 98.7kg so it gives me a good starting point to see the benefits of some of the lifestyle changes since making the move. Obviously cooking for myself rather than accepting family meals and restricting/substituting my social life so that I'm drinking less and going to events (footy/rugby) more has been awesome for both physical and financial health. Hoping to now start to set some goals, managed a 5km run in 27:30 yesterday and hoping to trim that figure down to 25 minutes flat by the six week marker.

I think the next week will be a bit of a blow out as its my birthday weekend so aiming to be sitting pretty at about the same (99kg) by end of week 2. :)

Nice idea. I've decided I need to get serious and do something to get fitter. Last week we had to do an exercise about "where do you see yourself in five years", and my first thought, or of the blue, was I'd have probably had a heart attack by then.

I've been overweight most of my life. I'm 180cm and 112kgs. I don't exercise regularly and I eat a lot of crap. A few years ago, I had to switch to decaf and cut caffeine out of my diet, because it was giving me chestpains.

I'm 37 and have two kids and really want to be around for them. So whats the problem?

Well, I work a 45-50 hour week and the commute is 90 mins each way, so the weekdays are pretty stuffed. Plus, as I mentioned, I have two kids that I want to spend some time with, so finding time to exercise is a challenge.

I don't really cook much. I can cook a little, but I'm slow. I've looked for healthy pre-pared meals, but have fructose malabsorption, so if I eat anything with onion, leek, citrus fruits, and a bunch of other stuff, I get gastro type symptoms for 24 hours. I previously tried LiteN'Easy but almost all their meals, and all the Healthy Choice style frozen ones have onion in them, so I can't eat them.

I had a go at getting into the gym this time last year, and did pretty well for two-three months, albeit only doing very short workouts (20 mins cardio), but then got sick, got busy etc and it dropped away.

I can't do weights. I used to do weights as a young bloke, but then ended up with a hernia. I had one as an infant, re-did it as a 19 year old, then re-did it again as a 30 year old. Now, if I try lifting anything heavy, I'm sore for a couple of days.

Soooo, at this stage my plan is to cut the crap food out, and get back into doing at least some gentle cardio at least three times a week (either walking or elliptical, I'm scared what jogging will do to my knees etc at my weight).

Sigh

Nice idea. I've decided I need to get serious and do something to get fitter. Last week we had to do an exercise about "where do you see yourself in five years", and my first thought, or of the blue, was I'd have probably had a heart attack by then.

I've been overweight most of my life. I'm 180cm and 112kgs. I don't exercise regularly and I eat a lot of crap. A few years ago, I had to switch to decaf and cut caffeine out of my diet, because it was giving me chestpains.

I'm 37 and have two kids and really want to be around for them. So whats the problem?

Well, I work a 45-50 hour week and the commute is 90 mins each way, so the weekdays are pretty stuffed. Plus, as I mentioned, I have two kids that I want to spend some time with, so finding time to exercise is a challenge.

I don't really cook much. I can cook a little, but I'm slow. I've looked for healthy pre-pared meals, but have fructose malabsorption, so if I eat anything with onion, leek, citrus fruits, and a bunch of other stuff, I get gastro type symptoms for 24 hours. I previously tried LiteN'Easy but almost all their meals, and all the Healthy Choice style frozen ones have onion in them, so I can't eat them.

I had a go at getting into the gym this time last year, and did pretty well for two-three months, albeit only doing very short workouts (20 mins cardio), but then got sick, got busy etc and it dropped away.

I can't do weights. I used to do weights as a young bloke, but then ended up with a hernia. I had one as an infant, re-did it as a 19 year old, then re-did it again as a 30 year old. Now, if I try lifting anything heavy, I'm sore for a couple of days.

Soooo, at this stage my plan is to cut the crap food out, and get back into doing at least some gentle cardio at least three times a week (either walking or elliptical, I'm scared what jogging will do to my knees etc at my weight).

Sigh
How old are the kids? Obviously I can't speak to your experience with anything relevant of my own, but could a dog be something that your family would welcome? Are the kids old enough to enjoy kicking a footy around/shooting a netball with their old man? As a baseline I'd have to imagine even fun, incidental exercise would be hugely beneficial - all the while you get to spend more time with your kids and doing those outdoorsy things can only be beneficial to their lifestyle too.

I'm no expert at all and would never profess to be, but from most people I know that have dropped huge numbers, while content is (obviously) important, changes to portion sizes are even more critical in the early stages of weight loss (I'm trying to impose the same on myself in this respect). Is it worth trying to cut back the size of your meals, even if only by a sixth?

I'll freely admit I'm just spitballing ideas here, I'm not a dietician or PT by any stretch of the imagination. All the best with your own aims and hopefully we can keep sharing our own little victories and motivate each other in here. :)

Sigh

What about your lunch break? Is there opportunity for some physical activity in the middle of the day, something as simple as a brisk 20min walk 5 days a week can make a huge difference to both fitness and weight loss. Doesn't take much and the benefits are significant, it's all about changing habits - might be worth exploring if your work situation/environment makes this a viable option.

Sigh

Sigh

I don't know where you live but look into something like this:

http://www.musclemealsdirect.com.au/

I don't think there is onion in many of these meals... and then what I have done is gradually cut back the crap I was drinking too which makes a HUGE difference. Cut out beer, soft drink, even gatorade or cordial, it's the sugar that makes you stack on weight. I went to nutrition warehouse, bought a box of this green tea supplement, they have this big plastic bottle which is big enough for all the water you should be drinking in a day. You put 3 sachets of green tea extract in it and make sure you drink it all before the day is finished.... it will clean you right out and it tastes good...

If you like sweets and chocolates, switch it to protein bars. Looking on the bright side (what more can you do) you are not seriously obese to the point you cannot do much about it, if you fix your diet first well you are lugging 30kgs of extra weight around with you so that is a workout in itself so if you get your diet right the first 10kgs should drop off quite easily. Then you will find your joint pain will be lessened as the pressure goes off and you will be able to exercise more.

But getting fit and staying fit takes discipline and going to the gym and pushing past your boundaries consistently, 3-4 times a week. Even if you have to go at 9pm, or do a couple of massive sessions on the weekend. You can't make excuses. If you have time to be on big footy, have time to watch the pies, have time to watch TV etc. you have time to exercise. You just need to build good habits. All the best with it.

We have a dog, and the last two weekends ive taken it and the kids out Pokemon hunting, so that's something I'll look to keep up.

The lunch idea is possible - would mean I'd take a lunch break instead of just scoffing whatever at my desk while working through.

Hi guys, I found this thread, and thought I'd contribute
I am about 176cms, my weight fluctuates. The biggest I've ever been was about 89kgs, as recently as 6 weeks ago. Now I'm 84.5kgs and I'm downward trending. About 4 years was also 89kgs, I lost my 10kgs in about two months by going paleo, and doing a lot of cycling. So my goal is to be very fit by the end of November and to be around 77-78kgs. Perhaps even 75kgs, usually I sit around 80-83kgs, so to be below 80kgs in this day and age would be pretty good.
Diet is most important.
Firstly you need to eat a variety of foods.
*A variety of veg, and plenty of greens.
*Eat different meats, don't just eat chicken, like I did when I lost 10kgs, as it's not healthy.
*Fish is very good.
*No Soft drinks. No chocolate bars. No packet of chips. Basically no sugar. *
*You can eat carbs but keep them to a minimum. Pasta, Brown Bread, etc.
*Eat brown bread do not eat white bread.
*Have Oats for breakfast.
*Don't eat too much potato, sweet potato is very good
*Do not eat after 6.30 -7pm.
*Eat plenty of avocado.
*Eat apples in between meals, kills your hunger.
*Drink plenty of water
*Eat Greek Yogurt, this is the only yogurt that doesn't have sugar in it, that I know of.
*Snack on nuts.

For the people wanting focus on losing visceral fat, the fat around the abdomen, periodic fasting is very good. Once or twice a week, maybe Sunday and Wednesday, don't eat until dinner, drink plenty of water, and the energy the body will use first is the visceral fat. That is the best fat you can lose.
Eat plenty of garlic and onion and put tumeric in your food when you can. These are good for detoxing the liver, and when your liver is working well you will lose weight. I am symptomatic to having fatty liver so I should know.

Another very important method to losing weight is to cook your meals. When you cook, you know what goes in, if you buy take outs, -subway etc, often there is sugar in the bread, and don't buy cereal, so much sugar in cereal. Some cuisines and genre of food that are health friendly.

*Mexican
*Indian
*Roasts
*BBQ's
*Soups - if your staring out cooking start with soups and work your way up.
Enjoy cooking, enjoy food. There are so many good spices to use, and sugar is just s**t.

Avoid creamy pastas, Asian food that uses a lot of soy and there other sauces, coconut milk, and avoid cheese, this is a hard one I know. Some cheese is ok though.

As for dietry supplements.
Definitely buy these.
*Liver tablets. - 1 tablet at night
*Flaxseed oil. - 1 tablespoon a day
*Zinc - one tablet in the morning
*Dandelion Tea - drink about two a day
*Lemon and ginger tea - drink maybe one or two a day.

Buy all of this from a health food store. To keep motivated for the first week write all the food you eat down. And give feedback of your mood and the stool of your s**t. Funnily enough this is important If your body is working well, your number 2 should be once a day and solid, check google to learn more about this. If you have the above diet you will be feeling on top of the world.

Also, buy lemons, cut in half and make a lemon juice with half the lemon squeezed with water, drink in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast.

Set yourself a goal. You'll be buying cheap groceries from the market or grocery store, and you'll learn about the fruit and veg that's in season as it's the cheapest. You'll save a shitload from all the chocolate bars and soft drinks and take outs you've avoided. Have a plan to travel, and kick back on a beach maybe the Gold Coast, Bali, Thailand, Fiji, wherever, but that should be a healthy reward for the your hard work and savings.

If you want to get boozy every now and then, best bet is pure blonde, low carb beer, but much better is Vodka and soda water.

A healthy diet like this with plenty of exersize and it'll fall off. All the best for others in reaching their goals. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back