Fixture Solution to MCG GF Hosting Rights Tix fiasco, top ranked club allocated 60-65 % of club membership tickets available

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty vague huh? At best its only 32k MCC/AFL/Medallion Club members (still a third of the Allocation) at worst 49k.

Let's assume somewhere in the middle. Still well over 40% of the allocation.
AFL Members have been getting about 14k for years (the AFL Reserve is bigger than that but they seat a whole bunch of other people in there too)
MCC website says this year it is 22.5k for them.

That is about 36% of the stadium.

A seat at the grand final should not be a goody to be handed out as a reward for knowing the right person, working for the right company, being the prime minister who doesn't even follow football and so on. The seat should be there for a loyal supporter who's been waiting for years to see their team play on grand final day. A seat at the grand final is more than a commodity - it's sacred to supporters.

I'm not in favour of allocating more seats to the higher-ranked team because I don't think any advantage would be real or even warranted - the granny is meant to be neutral.

We all know that we will never achieve true quality or partiality given the current finals system.

But I reckon we should given the top ranked Grand Finalist (esp non Victorian club) a significantly more allocation of Grand Final than their lesser ranked opponents
I've gone on record on this forum in the past about how I wanted non Victorian Club supporters/members deserve more on the Grand Final.
The issue is that the public reserve has 55k seats and club members only get 34k of them. Where are the other 20k tickets going? AFL needs to stop selling $2k breakfasts and give these tickets back to the fans.

The issue is that the public reserve has 55k seats and club members only get 34k of them. Where are the other 20k tickets going? AFL needs to stop selling $2k breakfasts and give these tickets back to the fans.

To be fair, I believe a lot of those funds from those Grand Final tickets goes into the Equalisation funds/keeps clubs afloat.

To be fair, I believe a lot of those funds from those Grand Final tickets goes into the Equalisation funds/keeps clubs afloat.
We have a big $4.5B tv rights deal, which dwarfs the money made from the grand final (which brings in about $50m each year). The AFL could afford to take in $25m from the GF (a 3% hit on annual revenue) in return for good will from the fans and afl community.

corporates to GAGF

clubs that dont make the grand final to GAGF

random singers, celebrities and personalities to GAGF

50,000 tickets to each of the competing clubs - solved
A seat at the grand final should not be a goody to be handed out as a reward for knowing the right person, working for the right company, being the prime minister who doesn't even follow football and so on. The seat should be there for a loyal supporter who's been waiting for years to see their team play on grand final day. A seat at the grand final is more than a commodity - it's sacred to supporters.

I'm not in favour of allocating more seats to the higher-ranked team because I don't think any advantage would be real or even warranted - the granny is meant to be neutral.
Mate of mine who has no interest in Footy whatsoever is going to the GF as he just happens to work for one of the AFL's major sponsors (a well known Car manufacturer). He'll be in a nice plush box behind glass...........yet probably wont even watch the game.

Ideally, perhaps not.

But I dare say it's more a matter of being part of the return from the massive amount of corporate sponsorship these companies pay, so unless you can convince the AFL/clubs to take a large cut in revenue, they're here to stay.

Question for non Vic fans generally, and WA fans particularly.

Whenever a non Vic team plays in the GF there are numerous reports of the difficulties in finding transport to the game, etc.

How much worse would it be if there were, say, 50% more tickets available?

Whenever a non Vic team plays in the GF there are numerous reports of the difficulties in finding transport to the game, etc.

Without a doubt it would be worse. We South Australians at least have the option of a nine-hour drive (which isn't that long in context) from Adelaide to Melbourne to avoid raised air fares (some of that is probably profiteering, but some would be pure demand - there are only so many jetliners and pilots in Australia). I feel lucky compared to West Australians who need to fly or drive for several days across the desert.

Without a doubt it would be worse. We South Australians at least have the option of a nine-hour drive (which isn't that long in context) from Adelaide to Melbourne to avoid raised air fares (some of that is probably profiteering, but some would be pure demand - there are only so many jetliners and pilots in Australia). I feel lucky compared to West Australians who need to fly or drive for several days across the desert.
It's an issue that the general public don't seem to understand. Airlines only have so much slack they can throw at the weekend (especially given the destination won't be know until a week before, making rostering difficult). Airline prices are dynamic, as soon as people start searching (not even buying) the backend computer will start jacking up prices because it can see that demand has increased. Then the cheapest seats (if any are left a week out) get sold so quickly that the only ones left are the fully refundable ones that always cost an arm and a leg, before the computer decides that the demand is high enough to justify increasing prices further.

We have a big $4.5B tv rights deal, which dwarfs the money made from the grand final (which brings in about $50m each year). The AFL could afford to take in $25m from the GF (a 3% hit on annual revenue) in return for good will from the fans and afl community.

Those that are paying the $4.5B and other sponsorships want their share of tickets, and they'll continue to get them. The AFL could give two hoots about fans and the AFL community, they want their $'s.

Ticket availability has nothing to do with the rank of the teams, its all to do with corporate giveaways and sponsors.

Not just corporates more like AFL and MCC members.

If anything...the big corporates who pay the huge sponsorship money each year to the AFL probably deserve the tickets they get allocated. Their money makes the comp strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just corporates more like AFL and MCC members.

If anything...the big corporates who pay the huge sponsorship money each year to the AFL probably deserve the tickets they get allocated. Their money makes the comp strong.
Agreed, corporate allocation should be at least doubled.

Agreed, corporate allocation should be at least doubled.

Right oh... I don´t even know how many tickets they get.

My point is I think it´s more AFL members and MCC that take the majority of neutral tickets rather than corporates. Yet everyone screams corporates. Furthermore when they are the financial backbone of the comp what can you say...

And I´m an AFL member.

It’s bad anyway. You just need to plan ahead, more tickets is better as you could always drive if you had to. I heard they estimated 36k got to Melbourne for the 2013 GF. People were flying via other Capitals and international destinations.

It would be really tough if you were hard up for cash to try and do it on a budget from WA. GF for 1 person is going to cost 2K on the cheap planned ahead with refunds if you don’t make it, probably 5K if you are last minute.

Mate of mine who has no interest in Footy whatsoever is going to the GF as he just happens to work for one of the AFL's major sponsors (a well known Car manufacturer). He'll be in a nice plush box behind glass...........yet probably wont even watch the game.
I don’t mind corporates being in the boxes, I mean they have to be filled by corporates anyway. It’s when they start taking seats in the stands that are the issue.

Easy... make it best of 5 and one game in WA, SA, VIC, NSW and QLD

Team who is highest on the ladder picks first venue

You could even call if AFL WORLD SERIES or AFL WORLD CHAMPIONS

Don't forget Tas.

When they get a team, they'll want to play the game (at their 23K stadium) too.

Those that are paying the $4.5B and other sponsorships want their share of tickets, and they'll continue to get them. The AFL could give two hoots about fans and the AFL community, they want their $'s.
Ch7 and Foxtel are for sure entitled to some GF tickets as part of that $4.5B, but you can't tell me that outside of Toyota, anyone is paying enough money to combined need more than 10k seats. The issue is mainly the AFL and its clubs selling 20k seats in the public reserve as $2k breakfast packages.

Ch7 and Foxtel are for sure entitled to some GF tickets as part of that $4.5B, but you can't tell me that outside of Toyota, anyone is paying enough money to combined need more than 10k seats. The issue is mainly the AFL and its clubs selling 20k seats in the public reserve as $2k breakfast packages.

I'd bet the sponsors all get some seats, and there are a lot of AFL 'partners'.

I remember I worked for NAB a few years back and they has some scheme to let a couple of hundred staff members go, and you can bet that if they has 200 for the 'ordinary' staff, you can bet they had at least that many for the bosses, so at a guess they would have had ~500 seats all up.

I'd bet the sponsors all get some seats, and there are a lot of AFL 'partners'.

I remember I worked for NAB a few years back and they has some scheme to let a couple of hundred staff members go, and you can bet that if they has 200 for the 'ordinary' staff, you can bet they had at least that many for the bosses, so at a guess they would have had ~500 seats all up.

Don't forget the Vic State Government. As owners of the league, they'd get a heap.

Don't forget the Vic State Government. As owners of the league, they'd get a heap.

Owners of the league.

LOL.

Is your tinfoil hat getting a bit tight today?

I'm sure there would be a number of seats for government, of all states, and federal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back