Cars & Transportation Speed Cameras Kill Lives

Remove this Banner Ad

.jpg
xSpeed_Cameras_Victoria_Opinion_3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BoLxOGSspvcC2N7HZWZJ.jpg

How dare you post a picture of that murderer here!

They don't kill people, but they don't save lives either. They are just their to raise revenue.
Pretty much.

I'd probably go a step further and say that speed cameras are effective, their effect is to ensure compliance with the speed limit over the short distance they take the photo of.

The problem IMO is that 100% compliance with the speed limit will not correlate with zero crashes, which you can come at from either direction, i.e:

1) Many (if not all crashes) are caused by factors other than driving above the posted limit; or, if you prefer;

2) Many people caught speeding by cameras do not crash, receiving a fine is the only normal outcome.

I prattled on about this for a while in another thread though so I'm going to stop myself short here :D

So if you don't agree with a financial deterrent for speeding, what should the punishment be?

On the topic of financial deterrents, I really believe that our current classification of fines is utter crap, I feel like the penalty for 1km/h over shouldn't be the same as 9km/h over. I feel like the 1-10km/h bracket should be split with 1-5km/h over being around a $90 fine and no demerit points, I'd rather people stressed less about going just over the speed limit and focused more on the road than looking down at their speedo every few seconds.

Hell even then, 10km/h is the same fine as 24km/h, that's one incredibly broad range of speeds, also incredibly harsh when right now they're phasing 70 and 90 zones down to 60 and 80 respectively around my area..

Reality is the punishments really don't seem to do much, if speed cameras actually did their intended job, they wouldn't be bringing in over $40 mil in revenue per quarter....

What a stupid thread. Camera are there for revenue raising but also as a deterrent for those to speed. Not sure how they "kill people". I would say the man on ice would have to shoulder most of the blame

I don't follow this at all.

He was on ice.

Yes, cameras are revenue raisers, but to claim they kill people is another thing altogether.
Let's say the cameras were replaced with a booze/drug bus road block at the first intersection he went through. Do you think he would have been stopped?

Finally someone has come out and said speed cameras actually kill lives not save lives as we are told.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/332771/...ing-us-the-stats-say-yes/#7eYUVL9ltmPTzpMx.99

The government should invest in more driver training than speed cameras to help combat poor driving and thus lower the death toll on our roads.

How about if you're speeding the red light cameras shoot out lasers and blow up speeding cars on the spot ?
Problem solved.No innocent people die,just knuckleheads speeding.

They are revenue raisers. Yes

But I'd say people are more consicous of their speed when they know speed cameras are around then if they weren't there

Of course they do, but thats so it doesn't cost them money, not that they might hurt or kill someone.
Hell I know quite a few people who didn't even give a s**t about the money aspect until they only had 2-3 points left... They're a deterrent for the wrong reasons, backed up by rather bad statistics and correlations at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speed cameras don't save lives, therefore they kill people.

What kind of shithouse logic is that?
The same logic where driver's getting stung for being 5 ks over = "revenue raising! Go catch some proper crooks!"

But when a fare evader/jay-walker/drunk in public fare is handed out = "oh well they deserved it, who do they think they are?"

Nothing shits me more than people bitching about speed cameras. It is also the dullest conversation ever.

Happens a lot in forested areas of Melbourne (Healesville, Marysville, Kinglake etc..).

Particularly the Black Spur.
People who make that their driving road of choice deserve to get caught. ******* morons.

There is a plethora of extremely high quality much lower traffic and zero cop/speed camera roads all around that area. Surely it's not that hard to look at a map.

People who make that their driving road of choice deserve to get caught. ******* morons.

There is a plethora of extremely high quality much lower traffic and zero cop/speed camera roads all around that area. Surely it's not that hard to look at a map.
Been on it a few times and while it is good, there is just always too much traffic on it to enjoy it. Lake Mountain Rd is much better imo.

It's interesting that the whole article focus on speed cameras and no mention of red light cameras being a problem. The intersection in question had both, so to say that the death is solely the cause of one and not the other shows the author is just wanting to complain because he's a lead foot and has been pinged a few times.

Speed cameras do have a place in society for road safety, particularly on suburban roads. I am much less of a fan of speed cameras on freeways where they are solely there for revenue. Look at some of the freeways where there are cameras, 3 even 4 lane roads which could easily handle traffic safely travelling at 130km/h, but we are restricted to 100km/h. the absurdity of this is highlighted when you get onto country roads which also have the same speed limit and are easily 50 times more dangerous, yet we define in the same way.

Speed cameras at intersections - Yes, stops drivers trying to run yellow/red lights.
Speed cameras on suburban roads - Yes, risk of accident due to speed is much higher as the variables are huge with cars entering from side roads, driveways, etc, cyclists and public transport.
Speed cameras on freeways - NO, pure revenue raising. Have highway patrol cruising around, doing random checks in random places. Any person with half a brain knows where the speed cameras are and will just slow down when they approach them and speed up once they are past them. Do it all the time myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back