Sports betting advertising

What is your opinion about sports betting advertising?

• Don't care

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • I want less of it - its not a good thing

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
Personally I think the amount of sports betting advertising out there is atrocious. I'd like to see it completely banned cos betting does no good for society, and promoting in various forums which are exposed to the young and vulnerable is a disgrace. Probably an unpopular opinion but meh. I hate it.

I cant believe in this day and age its so rife.

Oh, plus the ads are s**t.

Whats your opinion?

163500_494501403931158_409493255_n.jpg

Although mind you, why anyone would want that weed's autograph is beyond me.

Don't care.

People are always happy to take shots at marijuana, betting, domestic violence etc yet society always ignores the biggest issue in society, the cause of many issues, alcohol.

Alcohol advertising should be banned before betting advertising is. Alcohol is far more damaging in this country. Yet the alcohol industry seems to get a free pass. Talk about double standards.

Unfair also to those who want to have a punt and find out about the latest odds. I've just started betting myself and I can tell you the ads had no influence on me betting. I have always ignored them. My mates were a bigger influence.

More focus overall in this world should be on educating young people on how to avoid getting sucked in by advertising.

Why stop at sports betting? TattsLotto is far more devious. Alcohol ads are rampant too (as mentioned above), time to get rid of them. Soft drink and junk food commercials have gotta go, they're turning our kids into fatties. Same goes for all the electronic gadgets out there, only good for breeding a new generation of couch potatoes. And a lot of people get killed on the roads these days, better ban car manufacturers from advertising too. Now the only thing left are those Rivers ads and infomercials for something called a shamWOW. Pretty soon TV stations go bust due to lack of revenue, businesses start tanking because they can't get the word out about their product, and before you know it the whole system is breaking down!

Nah but, if any young and/or vulnerable person ever fell victim to the conniving marketing schemes employed by bookmakers and the like, my guess is it came about from spending too much time sitting in front of a screen. Do we need the government to step in and legislate everything? I think sometimes it's better to simply get outside or read a book.

Have to disagree with your "does no good for society" comment

Lots of people enjoy sports betting

The advertising is way too heavy, but it annoys me that it's the product that cops the whack instead of the marketers and media outlets flogging it. Sports betting has and will be around for a long time, people enjoy it. It should be the advertising standards whatever and the TV/Radio channels copping the heat but usually the actual betting gets the bad word

Soft drink and junk food commercials have gotta go, they're turning our kids into fatties.
Are they? The ads are going out and buying the soft drink/junk food for the kids? Not the parents?

Don't care.

People are always happy to take shots at marijuana, betting, domestic violence etc yet society always ignores the biggest issue in society, the cause of many issues, alcohol.

Alcohol advertising should be banned before betting advertising is. Alcohol is far more damaging in this country. Yet the alcohol industry seems to get a free pass. Talk about double standards.

Unfair also to those who want to have a punt and find out about the latest odds. I've just started betting myself and I can tell you the ads had no influence on me betting. I have always ignored them. My mates were a bigger influence.

More focus overall in this world should be on educating young people on how to avoid getting sucked in by advertising.

Okay from my knowledge I believe you're about 18-19 years of age. How often do you bet, is it a weekly thing? What made you "start betting"? I might put on one bet every six months but never make a habit of it (probably because I've never won). Did turning 18 make betting feel like a rite of passage for you? Genuinely interested.

Why stop at sports betting? TattsLotto is far more devious.

Tattslotto gets it's own slot on the news each night as well, and special news 'stories' when there is a big jackpot. Gets an incredibly good run.

I can understand people being concerend about the gambling being too intrinsically linked to footy for example, we do not want to establish a culture where you can't jut enjoy the game for the game itself.

I would be happy with a ban on the bullshit 'interviews' they have as part of the coverage. That annoys me - the ads should clearly be ads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you elaborate on what good gambling does for society?
Entertainment, employment, tax revenue.

I guess the question needs to be asked though is does this balance out with the harm it does. When it was just the TAB and on course bookies, you could argue that your losing bets at least build a hospital or help employ peole in the racing industry. Some of these new corporates (just about all of them foreign owned, BTW) don't give a lot back to society, so there is some concern there.

Gambling's a leaches game. I think my betting is limited to Melbourne Cup day in the hope of bankrolling the night's beers. Of course it never happens.

My dad used to buy a multi for me on Melbourne Cup day because it was a thing you did. The teachers at school used to reel in the tele and only the biggest prick wouldn't stop class for four minutes to watch it. As a result I've always done that but outside of that have probably put about three bets in total on. So I do believe it's all about your family and friends and the way they live and treat gambling. One of my mates isn't addicted but his friend's are; stupid $100 drops every Saturday on EPL, second divvy, Spanish League multis that rarely break even. It was weird seeing 19 year olds spending a weekend sitting inside, keeping up with the odds, and eating HJs rather than actually having fun.

The issue is, though, it is an illness. It's pretty hard to engage in non-betting realms, like sitting down and watching the footy, and not have a bet. The people who are affected most by betting are the ones who don't need the ads. But of course, that's the industry. That's how that little pencil net rat Waterhouse makes his money – by manipulating and taking money away from the people who can't afford it, for whatever reason. Trading off illness is heinous. If you saw someone knowingly offer a recovering alcoholic a drink, you'd rightfully see that as pretty s**t act. How are these pricks any different?

Sports betting advertising has actually put me off sports betting, which I used to do every once in a while. The ads themselves are nauseating but it's the paid promotion/product placement that gives me the shits. Teams are announced for a match - odds are put up and discussed, pre-game or mid-game discussion - odds are put up and discussed. *, give us a break. Between discussing DT/SC scores and Sportsbet odds the commentators spend about 2 minutes a game actually calling observations.

Are they? The ads are going out and buying the soft drink/junk food for the kids? Not the parents?
I think that's my point. I'm sure you're familiar with the argument against fast food companies advertising during children's television programs. For me, that same flawed logic applies to a desired ban on sports betting ads.

I think the problem with gambling now is that it has become too easy to do. It wasn't long ago that to place a bet you had to go to the TAB, find the counter through the cigarette smoke haze and physically lay down your money, now it can be done without leaving the sofa. My other problem is that it seems to be normalised now, do your tipping on the AFL page and they show you how much you'd win if you turned your tips into a $5 multi, I'm far from a wowser, but that just doesn't sit quite right with me.
And if Tom Waterhouse knows what Australia wants he'd throw himself in front of a train.

Could you elaborate on what good gambling does for society?
Puts money into the economy, keeps people, not just the fat cats in jobs. Governments get some tax revenue from it. Has direct and indirect positive flowing effects on other sectors of the economy.

It also does bad things for an individual when the service is not used in moderation by the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the problem with gambling now is that it has become too easy to do. It wasn't long ago that to place a bet you had to go to the TAB, find the counter through the cigarette smoke haze and physically lay down your money, now it can be done without leaving the sofa. My other problem is that it seems to be normalised now, do your tipping on the AFL page and they show you how much you'd win if you turned your tips into a $5 multi, I'm far from a wowser, but that just doesn't sit quite right with me.
And if Tom Waterhouse knows what Australia wants he'd throw himself in front of a train.

Easier to do in "the lucky country" than any other on earth. May go some way to explain the fact that we have the highest per capita gambling losses in the known universe

The whole sports betting culture - all the ads market it as an Aussie bloke's thing to do.

To me I find it sad and pathetic. The reason why so many betting agencies exist is because the punter never comes out on top in the long run. Its pretty damn obvious.

Blokes addicted to it I feel sorry and embarrassed for.

The whole sports betting culture - all the ads market it as an Aussie bloke's thing to do.

To me I find it sad and pathetic. The reason why so many betting agencies exist is because the punter never comes out on top in the long run. Its pretty damn obvious.

Blokes addicted to it I feel sorry and embarrassed for.
Exactly. It's a loser's game. It has to be...

Back