Spotless Stadium (Showgrounds at Homebush)

Remove this Banner Ad

Its actually 60 mil and if you dont know a rather large event called the easter show is held there every year. Plus they wanted other uses (thunder are slowly moving there). Hardly for 1 club.

Other states get what they do due to where they play and amount of professional teams in the region. The afl centralised all melbourne clubs so maybe if that hadnt happened upgrades would of happened there. The nsw gov has already stated they are centralizing all stadiums to east (scg/sfs) central (anz/spotless) and either upgrading an old ground or building a new multupurpose sradium for the outta west.

Maybe get a clue before calling people names
then whats your point
the Giants got a stadium, it wasn't a brand new one, the NSW government took the cheaper option and upgraded the show grounds which also hosts the Royal show & several concerts through out the year & didn't build a new one. who cares they got a decent venue to play out of!

i dont care what the NSW & NRL are trying to to with centralising its stadiums, go and troll some other forum!

Why bother justifying a NSW government decision anyway? If Vic clubs don't like their own government not providing funds to build a new stadium in Melbourne, then move to NSW. Or bitch to the Vic government. It's of no business or consequence to Sydney people. Or clubs.
just pointing out the helping ride the NRL has had for decades from the NSW & QLD governments

just pointing out the helping ride the NRL has had for decades from the NSW & QLD governments

And is continuing in Townsville if the LNP gets up again as expected in Queensland. Fact probably is that Government's can get better value by hosting a trio of international sports in a rectangular stadium (League, Union, World Game) then they would on an oval (AFL, Cricket) plus rectangular venues are better for musical acts.

As for me, I'm hopeful of actually seeing inside of the ground on August 9 (Giants vs Essendon) given I'm in Sydney for City2Surf that morning.

I believe the Showgrounds were the 3rd choice for Canterbury to play at. Originally when they moved from Belmore the plan was to move to a project at Liverpool (which was also going to incorporate the West Sydney Razorbacks NBL team) which never got off the ground. Then they moved to the Olympic Stadium which got a little pricy for them, particularly when the crowds were average even compared to today for NRL games.
That Oasis project at Liverpool was the beginning of their salary cap dramas. Some bricklayer wasn't getting paid and he leaked details of their cheating. Salary Cap breaches are nearly discovered by fluke every time in the NRL.

Do Giants get any benefit out of the Thunder playing at Spotless?

Hopefully all Thunder games are there next year, an empty ANZ is not fun to watch

Do Giants get any benefit out of the Thunder playing at Spotless?

Hopefully all Thunder games are there next year, an empty ANZ is not fun to watch
That would depend on if Giants are owners or tenants, and/or if the Thunder rent the ground off the Giants or off the Show organisers or the AFL or anyone else.
I don't have answers on that one though.

That would depend on if Giants are owners or tenants, and/or if the Thunder rent the ground off the Giants or off the Show organisers or the AFL or anyone else.

I'm 99.9% sure we are tenants. We have a great deal to play there but get no benefit besides cross promotion, which happens often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tenants. The Royal Agricultural Society (or whatever they're called) own the stadium, that's why the show gets preference and we can't play there for 2 months around Easter. It's also why the NSW govt spent millions on it. Not just for us.

Thunder members were asked on a show of voices whether they wanted games at ANZ? Mild cheers, or Spotless? Whoops and hollers and a great deal more enthusiasm. So you might see them there more over the coming years if they can just learn to bat there. But we don't get anything extra out of them playing there beyond more people being exposed to the venue and happy to come back.

Depends on how fast the Thunder and T20 grow. If they start getting the sort of following that applies in other states then they are going to a bigger stadium. 25,000 or thereabouts at Spotless is just not going to be enough. it might be more attractive in the short term, but it might stunt their capacity for growth too.

Depends on how fast the Thunder and T20 grow. If they start getting the sort of following that applies in other states then they are going to a bigger stadium. 25,000 or thereabouts at Spotless is just not going to be enough. it might be more attractive in the short term, but it might stunt their capacity for growth too.

I don't see there being too much growth in t20, it's a bit of a novelty and I think people will tire of it just as quickly as new fans come on board

I don't see there being too much growth in t20, it's a bit of a novelty and I think people will tire of it just as quickly as new fans come on board

Disagree strongly. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. Only been 4 years now, and this season they've set new domestic records for cricket crowds all over the place. Summer sports like soccer and basketball have been around for a decade and more, but domestic T20 cricket has overtaken them all in just 4 years.

Disagree strongly. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. Only been 4 years now, and this season they've set new domestic records for cricket crowds all over the place. Summer sports like soccer and basketball have been around for a decade and more, but domestic T20 cricket has overtaken them all in just 4 years.

I'm not saying it hasn't been a big boom, but I'm not expecting the boom to last and it could possible end in a fizzle in a decade or so

The interest in the IPL has been dropping every year for years now

I'm not saying it hasn't been a big boom, but I'm not expecting the boom to last and it could possible end in a fizzle in a decade or so

The interest in the IPL has been dropping every year for years now

Have you been following it at all?

I reckon it's taken them 3-4 years to get right format, and the TV pictures on Free-to-Air. Now that they've got it sorted out I seriously can't see it getting smaller. The way the game is now in other cities is pretty phenomenal, it just needs Western Sydney to catch up to the rest of Australia and suddenly they'll be finding Spotless too small.

Have you been following it at all?

I reckon it's taken them 3-4 years to get right format, and the TV pictures on Free-to-Air. Now that they've got it sorted out I seriously can't see it getting smaller. The way the game is now in other cities is pretty phenomenal, it just needs Western Sydney to catch up to the rest of Australia and suddenly they'll be finding Spotless too small.

You don't seem to be understanding my posts

You don't seem to be understanding my posts

I do understand, I just happen to disagree. I can't see T20 cricket falling away in popularity as you predict. Even if the boom growth period is over, I can only see it plateauing; at worst, not shrinking. The Thunder this year got a crowd of 32,000 for the Derby against the 6ixers, so for that match-up Spotless is already too small at 25,000.

Bearing in mind that the Thunder have been wooden spooners for most of their existence, I think it only takes one good competitive year for them and Spotless is already too small.

I do understand, I just happen to disagree. I can't see T20 cricket falling away in popularity as you predict. Even if the boom growth period is over, I can only see it plateauing; at worst, not shrinking. The Thunder this year got a crowd of 32,000 for the Derby against the 6ixers, so for that match-up Spotless is already too small at 25,000.

Bearing in mind that the Thunder have been wooden spooners for most of their existence, I think it only takes one good competitive year for them and Spotless is already too small.
so aside from that crowd of 32k the thunder got 15 & 12k for their two games at spotless.
hardly worth getting excited about. the Scorchers pretty much sold out every game & we don't see begging for their stadium capacity to be expanded

Last edited:
so aside from that crowd of 32k the thunder got 15 & 12k for their two games at spotless.
hardly worth getting excited about. the Scorchers pretty much sold out every game & we don't see begging for their stadium capacity to be expanded
Well, they ARE building a, what, 60K stadium nearby with big talk of moving BBL games there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back