St Kilda turn to Messi for Barca secrets

Remove this Banner Ad

May 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

This article can be linked to the Saints player academy that the club unveiled recently to some degree. If we can produce a player who is as good at Aussie Rules as Messi is at Association Football, it's damn worth it.

Messi is a one-in-a-lifetime player, and I would not attribute it to Barça's youth system/academy (called La Masia), although he was there since he was 14. If anything, the academy let him grow as a person to the kind of man he is now, but his skills would have been developed anywhere.

I would attribute to Barça's academy and system other kind of players like Guardiola, Xavi, Iniesta, Valdés, Puyol, Piqué... etc. These are the real products: players who would have been good anywhere but at FC Barcelona became great. That's the strength of La Masia.

If StKilda can produce similar footy players with its academy, we're in for some great years in the future and it is well worthy.

I understand that it's attractive for newspapers and article writers to try to link this to "it may be able to produce players like Messi", but I would be happy if it can produce the other players even more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back