Analysis St Kilda - List Analysis 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

So what was the real reason Gresh Billo Coff wanted out?
Couldn’t handle the step up in training and match expectations that Rtb brought?
Not quite as good as they thought they were and couldn’t accept a reality check?
Causing a bit of internal strife?
None of these thing?
Would be fascinating to find out.

Couldn’t handle the step up in training and match expectations that Rtb brought?
Not quite as good as they thought they were and couldn’t accept a reality check?
None of these thing?
Gresh got offered a lot of money, Billings isn't part of Ross's plans and Coffield wanted a fresh start after two years of injuries

None of these thing?
There doesn't need to be any outlandish reasons.
Two facing a real pay cut.
Billo probably given the o'l "you're not in our plans moving forward"
Gresh feeling the heat
Coff slipped in the pecking order.

Turnover is a healthy thing. We had a stagnant list for a very long time and the fact we're beginning to receive something for our outgoing players is a good sign.

None of these thing?
In the Squad photo's when Lyon arrived, the Gresh looked none too happy. And during the season was below his best & almost looking disinterested at times.
Albeit, he does have a kind of deadpan look most of the time.

I had no idea Wood was still a rookie. He's been on our list for 3 years!

Are Cooper Sharman and Max Heath still rookies? Are Stocker and Caminiti rookies?

Sorry doesnt Clark pick #7 (same age as Dow), McKenzie pick #22, Jones pick #15 discredit that rationale?

I don't think so. Clark played a very disappointing full season. Dow played well enough when he got in that he made people think that he had a lot more in the tank. The second half of the season saw Liam Henry go from a delisted free agent type pick up to them wanting a FRDP for him. He had 3 games over 30 possessions playing on a wing and his numbers generally went way up on previous years. I'd say HC has lost considerable value after playing a very ordinary year.

Sorry to all the short people out there, but Gresham equating to De Goey, very funny :rainbow:

He was one of only a few players in the comp that was averaging 25 touches and goal a game before injury last year. DeGoey was one of the others. He's just had his worst year under Lyon, before this year he was looking on his way to being a very good player.

Possible interest in James Stewart, Essendon DFA.
!99cm-99kg, as a lock down defender where he played for most of the year in 2021, before injury & personal reason, got in the way of him playing since.
30 y.o in March, who might be added as a train on player this pre-season.

From what I understand, the list is now complete minus one open spot for a rookie, which will be Dmac if he manages to get through the pre season without his calf popping again. Run and agility has clearly been a priority in our recruiting. Here's an early stab at how I think our list lines up if fully fit

Seniors

B: Wilkie, Howard, Stocker
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NWM
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Owens
F: Butler, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Windhager
Int: Dow, Henry, Phillipou, Webster
Sub: Clark

Reserves

B: Paton, Van Es, Allison
HB: Hastie, Cordy, Shoenmaker
C: Byrnes, Ross, McLennan
HF: Wilson, Hayes, Garcia
F: Collard, Caminiti, Keeler

Foll: Campbell, Jones, Hotton
Int: Heath, O'Connell

The list composition looks pretty good. It seems we're backing in the likes of Van Es and Heath to potentially be called upon in the seniors if we are hit by injuries since we don't have any mature key defensive or ruck depth beyond Cordy and Campbell. We've got a plethora of young half forward/mids (Owens, Pou, Windy, Wilson, Hotton, Garcia) and hopefully some of them can make the switch to becoming genuine A grade midfielders.

From what I understand, the list is now complete minus one open spot for a rookie, which will be Dmac if he manages to get through the pre season without his calf popping again. Run and agility has clearly been a priority in our recruiting. Here's an early stab at how I think our list lines up if fully fit

Seniors

B: Wilkie, Howard, Stocker
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NWM
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Owens
F: Butler, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Windhager
Int: Dow, Henry, Phillipou, Webster
Sub: Clark

Reserves

B: Paton, Van Es, Allison
HB: Hastie, Cordy, Shoenmaker
C: Byrnes, Ross, McLennan
HF: Wilson, Hayes, Garcia
F: Collard, Caminiti, Keeler

Foll: Campbell, Jones, Hotton
Int: Heath, O'Connell

The list composition looks pretty good. It seems we're backing in the likes of Van Es and Heath to potentially be called upon in the seniors if we are hit by injuries since we don't have any mature key defensive or ruck depth beyond Cordy and Campbell. We've got a plethora of young half forward/mids (Owens, Pou, Windy, Wilson, Hotton, Garcia) and hopefully some of them can make the switch to becoming genuine A grade midfielders.
It’s 2 spots free isn’t it?

O’Connell sits outside the list as he is a cat B rookie.

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s 2 spots free isn’t it?

O’Connell sits outside the list as he is a cat B rookie.

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.
I trust you know more than me! I was going off another poster's take in the draft thread. That's handy if we have two more spots. We've gotten pretty great value from the rookie draft and players invited to train in the pre season.

I trust you know more than me! I was going off another poster's take in the draft thread. That's handy if we have two more spots. We've gotten pretty great value from the rookie draft and players invited to train in the pre season.
No mate. I could be wrong!

I thought Irish cat b rookie sat outside the list as we only have 1.

It does. So we think no rookie pick today to leave one for Dmac and one for an injury back up / tall defender backstop?
Or we pick 1 today and leave a spot available for Dmac or another player.

We can easily get a long term injury that creates a mid season spot.

I like the fact, we are going hard on youth now unlike say, Carlton.

In a few years with Tasmania up and about compromising the draft, we don't want to be in need of too many young blokes and fighting for scraps.
Plus we’ve been pretty smart I think bringing in possible trade bait from Tassie and WA.
Even though we’ll be putting a lot of early development into them it’s a good potential future investment.

this is the part that worries me:
1700627593236.png

of that list... the ones we are in red time on are:
  • ross
  • webster
  • hill
  • wood
  • crouch
  • sinclair

all of them were part of our best 22 this year. significantly 5 of them are a big part of our midfield or atleast run through there.

the hope would be that because wood and hill are outside players they could stick around into their 30s. sinclair same deal off HBF.

but we really need to be finding replacements.

So am I right with my count, we now have 42 listed players plus 2 cat B players which are outside the main list? Teams can have 44 players so with DMac being ousted we have 2 list spots available. I wonder if they will be filled by train on players before the season start eg James Stewart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back