Analysis St Kilda v Geelong Rd 21 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

So if people here are complaining about Dunstan not being able to hit a player with a pass, then do we speak about Stevens in the same way? A couple of pretty ordinary attempts by him last night as well & he is more experienced. :(
That's a pretty fair call

I've noticed Dunstan doing quite a few things lately, actually. Last few weeks, there have been a few strong marks and clever goals. May be down on confidence but I feel like I've seen improvement across the board. Needs a nice break and a good pre-season for sure, can't wait to see what he can do next year.

Really love what Savage brings to the team. If we could get another player in a similar mould we would benefit a lot, I feel. If Webster could be used more offensively he could fit the bill!
Murdoch being panned a bit on the forums - but he had no pre season and only just got back into it for Sandy - if he can stay fit and get a full pre season he could be the man - with about a minute to go he launched a drop punt about 70 metres to the the goal square - not too many blokes could do that

Murdoch being panned a bit on the forums - but he had no pre season and only just got back into it for Sandy - if he can stay fit and get a full pre season he could be the man - with about a minute to go he launched a drop punt about 70 metres to the the goal square - not too many blokes could do that
It was a very good penetrating kick wasn't it

I've never heard a crowd cheer that loud for a victory in a ruck contest. Funny stuff. Highlight of the evening. Had a bit of the old Moorabbin about it.

I went to the game just becuase Jason Holmes was playing his first game. I wanted to see. and i cheered for his first ruck contest, and his first kick and his passess and his tackle.

Yes this - should have been 50 mtrs and the radio commentators couldn't believe it.....terrible decision. The umpires missed some easy ones tonight...
What about James Bartel standing outside the square at the kick in following savages' behind. Some umpires look some don't give a crap

- Armitage was out which meant we absolutely were lacking contested possession and clearance presence going into the game. This was a definite worry.

- Richardson again showed his good thinking and made the surprising move of using Gilbert around the stoppages and in the centre bounces as much as possible. Worked very well. Gilbert had 9 tackles, 16 CP and 4 clearances.

- Also lost our two best defenders at reading the play and taking intercept marks - Roberton and Dempster. We bought in Ray and Shenton who were to replace them. Shenton was embarrassed by SJ and it was really noticeable how much we missed Dyl and Sean by the amount of uncontested marks and 1 on 1 contests Geelong forwards got.

- Holmes moves well. Naitanui like leap and seems to tap the ball well. His around the ground work was poor but not terrible. Decent prospect. 34 hit outs.

- Again our clearance work was strong +10. However I think we need to work on making our clearances effective. At times we are kicking blind. Geelong often fed a handball and ran it from the clearance, Sydney another good example of this.

- like early in the season we were getting done out the back time and time again. Our frontal pressure not as good as usual and this allowed uncontested marks through short 45 degree kicks by Geelong and then their backs would sprint out the fat side creating 3 on 2 and 4 on 3 and the loose one would slip out the back.

- Hickey is playing the role that Hale plays. He has had 2 very good games. For a 2 metre bloke he's surprisingly strong below his knees but struggles in marking at times. That being said after last weeks very strong performance he backed it up. Blicavs had 14 touches, 12 HO and 5 marks. Hickey had 14 touches, 13 HO, 7 marks (3 contested), 2 goals and 2 goal assists.

- Riewoldt on the wing. For the whole game. This is only possible because of how well Bruce and Hickey were moving last night and it worked to great effect. Riewoldt often used as the get out kick and is dangerous on the break.

- I thought it was noticeable that we were allowing them 1 kick out wide and then try and force them to kick to a fifty-fifty however unfortunately we weren't great at this. They were able to use short kicks and break through a lot of the time.

- Saunders, Murdoch were literally invisible. Couldn't tell you where they were playing.

- Richo let Motlop run free and Geelong let Steven run free. Steven butchered it a bit and Motlop was clear BOG for me. You have to role the dice at times but with the game on the line at clearance situations Guthrie went to Steven and Motlop was by himself. I know Weller as a forward has been strong but could've used him on Motlop in the last IMO.

- minchington goes missing for long long periods. 2 goals and 7 in the first. Ended with 10 and 3 (5 tackles) which is a good return but the fact he was a non factor for around 3 quarters is why Lonie, Billings, Sinclair, Schneider are still ahead of him. Richo made reference to this in his presser.

- Hugh for a 19 year old made some massive plays and is obviously very self aware of how to use his body and reads the game fairly well.

- JWebster nailed on best 22 and need to get him the ball as often as possible.

- Ross went to Selwood and dominated him early before Selwood worked into the game. Sebs outside game has noticeably improved. Went at 81% last night.

- Probably going early but Dunstan starting to worry me. Half a yard short of pace and not a good kick. Maybe second year blues.

- Savage very good, Geelong let him run free and he hurt them.

- last night further reinforced the fact we are really going to miss Dempster and Fisher and a position we definitely lack depth in is that versatile mid size defender role.

- it was the best we've played for a number of weeks. At times it looked Geelong would break away as they were scoring quickly and easily but we kept hitting back.

- Longer/Hickey/Holmes situation will be interesting.

- 12 players under 22 games last night. Impressive
great article

I went to the game just becuase Jason Holmes was playing his first game. I wanted to see. and i cheered for his first ruck contest, and his first kick and his passess and his tackle.
You cheered his "tackle" :rolleyes:

Sounds like something CALL ME SNAKE would do.

You cheered his "tackle" :rolleyes:

Sounds like something CALL ME SNAKE would do.

I couldn't help it. i don't think i i haave ever cheered a a players firsat game like i did with \homes. \it was just a feel good story. and his hitouts were great.

I couldn't help it. i don't think i i haave ever cheered a a players firsat game like i did with \homes. \it was just a feel good story. and his hitouts were great.
Loved the huge cheer for his mark etc.
Moorabbin memories for sure.:thumbsu:

I want the ball in Jimmy Webster's hands more than I reckon I've wanted it in anyone's hands in my 25 years following the club. Just seems to sum up the situation perfectly every time, has great vision, is willing to pull the trigger and take on risky kicks and very, very rarely misses his mark. Most of the time they don't have to break stride.

As far as that side of things goes, I'm as confident with the ball in his hands as I was with the likes of Dal Santo, Goddard and Cuz. Savage damn good as far as all this goes as well.

We need to find someone else who can play his shut-down role as well as he does so that we can free Jimmy up to get more of the pill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murdoch reminds me a bit of Luke Miles, no doubt at state level he can get the ball, no doubt about his disposal as he can roost it, and generally speaking the disposal is also very good.

But their pace isn't elite.
They don't really get 20+ disposals on average.
You can't help but think that they can make it, but they will need to work whereas with others it's all natural and you just know.

I liked Miles, we gave him what? 3 games and then delisted him? I like Murdoch, but I fear he's going to get 20 odd games and get cut as a limited player as we get in the Billings, Lonies, Sinclairs and the "elite" talent we're all chasing and hoping we land.

they play Shenton out of positon, he is a natural forward not a defender

/Tom Lynch thread.

Only individual he could have replaced was Minch in the F50 as the small or Membrey as the medium, neither of these two are backmen or HBF, both have designs to be sometimes midfielders, Shenton was brought in to to be a HBF, a medium defender and rebound form defense, his rebounding was a positive, his defense was poor, he was then swung forward late and his pressure forward was poor after the lead was good, despite not getting clear separation from his defender. He actually makes good decisions generally, he reads the play a little slow, but his risks are calculated.

Shenton is adequate depth, he is by all means not a bad footballer, but AFL players who want to sustain a career in the AFL, need to work both offensively and defensively, Shentons defense is lacking, it is clear it is lacking and this will be his downfall in any position on the ground if he does not rectify it as quickly as he is able to.

- Armitage was out which meant we absolutely were lacking contested possession and clearance presence going into the game. This was a definite worry.

- Richardson again showed his good thinking and made the surprising move of using Gilbert around the stoppages and in the centre bounces as much as possible. Worked very well. Gilbert had 9 tackles, 16 CP and 4 clearances.

- Also lost our two best defenders at reading the play and taking intercept marks - Roberton and Dempster. We bought in Ray and Shenton who were to replace them. Shenton was embarrassed by SJ and it was really noticeable how much we missed Dyl and Sean by the amount of uncontested marks and 1 on 1 contests Geelong forwards got.

- Holmes moves well. Naitanui like leap and seems to tap the ball well. His around the ground work was poor but not terrible. Decent prospect. 34 hit outs.

- Again our clearance work was strong +10. However I think we need to work on making our clearances effective. At times we are kicking blind. Geelong often fed a handball and ran it from the clearance, Sydney another good example of this.

- like early in the season we were getting done out the back time and time again. Our frontal pressure not as good as usual and this allowed uncontested marks through short 45 degree kicks by Geelong and then their backs would sprint out the fat side creating 3 on 2 and 4 on 3 and the loose one would slip out the back.

- Hickey is playing the role that Hale plays. He has had 2 very good games. For a 2 metre bloke he's surprisingly strong below his knees but struggles in marking at times. That being said after last weeks very strong performance he backed it up. Blicavs had 14 touches, 12 HO and 5 marks. Hickey had 14 touches, 13 HO, 7 marks (3 contested), 2 goals and 2 goal assists.

- Riewoldt on the wing. For the whole game. This is only possible because of how well Bruce and Hickey were moving last night and it worked to great effect. Riewoldt often used as the get out kick and is dangerous on the break.

- I thought it was noticeable that we were allowing them 1 kick out wide and then try and force them to kick to a fifty-fifty however unfortunately we weren't great at this. They were able to use short kicks and break through a lot of the time.

- Saunders, Murdoch were literally invisible. Couldn't tell you where they were playing.

- Richo let Motlop run free and Geelong let Steven run free. Steven butchered it a bit and Motlop was clear BOG for me. You have to role the dice at times but with the game on the line at clearance situations Guthrie went to Steven and Motlop was by himself. I know Weller as a forward has been strong but could've used him on Motlop in the last IMO.

- minchington goes missing for long long periods. 2 goals and 7 in the first. Ended with 10 and 3 (5 tackles) which is a good return but the fact he was a non factor for around 3 quarters is why Lonie, Billings, Sinclair, Schneider are still ahead of him. Richo made reference to this in his presser.

- Hugh for a 19 year old made some massive plays and is obviously very self aware of how to use his body and reads the game fairly well.

- JWebster nailed on best 22 and need to get him the ball as often as possible.

- Ross went to Selwood and dominated him early before Selwood worked into the game. Sebs outside game has noticeably improved. Went at 81% last night.

- Probably going early but Dunstan starting to worry me. Half a yard short of pace and not a good kick. Maybe second year blues.

- Savage very good, Geelong let him run free and he hurt them.

- last night further reinforced the fact we are really going to miss Dempster and Fisher and a position we definitely lack depth in is that versatile mid size defender role.

- it was the best we've played for a number of weeks. At times it looked Geelong would break away as they were scoring quickly and easily but we kept hitting back.

- Longer/Hickey/Holmes situation will be interesting.

- 12 players under 22 games last night. Impressive
Is there a guy Gilbert's size who is stronger with his head above the ball?

I looked at this a fair bit on rewind. Could not be certain he did. Do we know for sure?
Well he was mighty close, he may not have been outside the square but I feel he was on the line, Eddie Magurie made the same point straight after the telecast. The umpires do not even look at the kick ins anymore, as usual not doing their job properly

The best thing about this game was that 91 of our 97 points came off of boots that didn't have the initials 'N.R.' attached to them.
Very pleasing indeed. But I felt that because he wasn't forward, he tried too hard to put his influence on the contest & the game for that matter. The number of times he went 3rd man up at stoppages & spiked the ball clear but straight to an area where Geelong had the numbers was sooooo frustrating. Plenty of pleading for free kicks around the ground as he's not accustomed the physicality of being in the midst of the stoppages was infuriating. Some of his dinky field kicks down in defence were heart in mouth stuff too.

I love the idea of him playing up the ground, but he needs to play as a winger, not as a CHF that is playing on the wing.... if that makes sense

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back