Staging

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL needs to start fining people for this crap. Its a joke.
I reckon this is on the money. You still need to protect against high contact during the game, so I wouldn't really advocate much change to the in game calls.

But I would think if there was a group of people who knew what they were doing watching replays of all the games afterwards, anyone they can determine has taken a dive or otherwise "enhanced" the appearance of contact could then be penalised, or at least noted down for questioning by the MRP or similar.

If the fine was big enough (e.g. 10% of their average 12 month salary, including all related sponsorships etc) I think it would disappear pretty quickly.

Thomas is definitely not the only player doing it, and there's really not much of a mechanism to make doing it an unattractive option at the moment IMHO.

anyone from nth or any other team who reckons that is a free kicks had ******* rocks in hteir heads.
If that was a free kick so were the 5 or so that got let go for essendon where they were told they created the contact. FMD get a grip.

Hit him in the head. He dropped the knees but that's not against the rules. Soft but not against the rules. It's a free kick.

Hit him in the head. He dropped the knees but that's not against the rules. Soft but not against the rules. It's a free kick.
dropped his knees or dived into the tackler.. I see it as the latter meaning he instigated the contact therefore no free kick. otherwise essendon was shafted out of 4 or 5 of the same free kicks

**** that. I just stand facing at 10 o'clock and slice it to where I want it to go.

#cricketerproblems

Better that than too much bottom hand. Can't use the squash ball in the glove playing golf.

He only hit him high because he dived into his arms. When will you morons get that through your thick skulls and stop defending this piece of s**t

Not defending him. He's accentuated the contact by dropping the knees into the tackle. It's a shame that your boys didn't realise that this "piece of s**t" would do that and not hang his arm out in some limp wristed tackling attempt. Give you all know Thomas dives, he should have a) gone lower or b) just let him fall to ground and then tackled him. But he didn't, LT kicked the goal, and he'll get to play this week :)

Not defending him. He's accentuated the contact by dropping the knees into the tackle. It's a shame that your boys didn't realise that this "piece of s**t" would do that and not hang his arm out in some limp wristed tackling attempt. Give you all know Thomas dives, he should have a) gone lower or b) just let him fall to ground and then tackled him. But he didn't, LT kicked the goal, and he'll get to play this week :)
obviously you're all for diving little squibs. Hope Bartel and selwood get an even dozen against you and we will see who is crying foul about the whole instigating the high contact stuff.

about the best post from a Roos supporter i've seen on the issue.
And all too correct. Didn't cost us the game, but it's the only thing that has left me reeling from it. Mainly because you knew it was coming and it would be the one to give you the lead.
Ah well, he's made his bed. Selwood is an elite player in the comp but loses a lot of that respect for his tactics. Lindsay is nowhere in his league and plays it up far worse than Joel.

obviously you're all for diving little squibs. Hope Bartel and selwood get an even dozen against you and we will see who is crying foul about the whole instigating the high contact stuff.

As I said, I don't like it. But I'd hope no North player was stupid enough to tackle Selwood around the shoulders and head this week, knowing that he does drop the knees. Of course I'd be pissed, but if you know it's coming then we need to plan to get him at the hips and there's no excuses if we don't.

Not much you can do about it if he drops to the knees and causes the high contact.

Thomas is a cheat, as is Selwood.

I'm genuinely going for North this week, but I can guarantee Selwood, Christensen, Motlop or one of those other cheats will do what Thomas did, and it'll be no less bullshit.
Selwood for a late free, high tackle, to kick the sealer. would be poetry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah well, he's made his bed. Selwood is an elite player in the comp but loses a lot of that respect for his tactics. Lindsay is nowhere in his league and plays it up far worse than Joel.
This is why I don't get that pissed off about it anymore. At the end of his career Thomas will be known as a mediocre figjam w***er that went from a flog that couldn't kick straight to a flog that had to dive to get a kick.

about the best post from a Roos supporter i've seen on the issue.
And all too correct. Didn't cost us the game, but it's the only thing that has left me reeling from it. Mainly because you knew it was coming and it would be the one to give you the lead.

Some of the things he does is cringeworthy but he is a good footballer. He made the AA squad and was 7th on the goal kicking ladder last year with 53 goals.

Understand the hate - but every supporter backs their divers, stagers and floppers.

It's the umpire's fault LT is a diving piece of s**t?

Yes - because the umpires should never pay these free kicks - Religiously don't pay these frees ( even if you miss a few ) soon makes players change their behaviour - Players have always dived and the like - Umpires have to be smarter.

Selwood has perfect technique within the rules....as much as I hate it. As soon as he feels or senses the tackle coming his first move is to start raising his elbow in a chicken wing action. He is incredible strong in this action, at the same time he lowers his centre of gravity. The tacklers arms slips up and bingo....high tackle every time.

The only other option the tackler has...is to go the waste of the ball carrier, but strong guys stand up in the tackle and handball.

They actually teach this technique in junior football. My son was shown this by a kid in A grade under 14s EFL, and tried it in his semi final and was paid 2 head high tackles in the first 5 minutes of his game much to the dislike of the other team. I do not like it myself, but its a tactic within the rules atm, and smaller midfielders are going to keep doing it until a specific rule is brought in.

Some of the things he does is cringeworthy but he is a good footballer. He made the AA squad and was 7th on the goal kicking ladder last year with 53 goals.

Understand the hate - but every supporter backs their divers, stagers and floppers.
how many did he snag off bullshit free kicks. Probably more then our forwards combined would be my guess

how many did he snag off bullshit free kicks. Probably more then our forwards combined would be my guess
We played you twice this year and he kicked 7 - only one from a free kick. He goes ok even without free kicks.

The free in this thread I am fine with - its the acting dead with little contact that annoys me.

Yes - because the umpires should never pay these free kicks - Religiously don't pay these frees ( even if you miss a few ) soon makes players change their behaviour - Players have always dived and the like - Umpires have to be smarter.
Well, as it's high contact, it's hard to not pay the free kick. It's not the umpires fault, they need to pay the free for high contact. Either change the rules so it's not a free (too hard imo) or as an industry call the players out on it. Make it a negative thing, not like it is now where commentators speak so highly of the technique.

Well, as it's high contact, it's hard to not pay the free kick. It's not the umpires fault, they need to pay the free for high contact. Either change the rules so it's not a free (too hard imo) or as an industry call the players out on it. Make it a negative thing, not like it is now where commentators speak so highly of the technique.
"Oooooohhhh he's so good in the tackle, isn't he Den?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back