State of Origin 2013 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1005210_10200616328785550_342349382_n.jpg

just in from the pub, great game. gutting we couldn't get the result.

the only positive is thank * mitchell pearce will surely never be wearing a blues jersey again... he has got have the worst kicking game for an origin halfback of all time. not even a point in giving specific examples cause pretty much every kick he does is s**t. also drop catch off the first set, bullet pass to dugans head when were in attack. instead of a try scoring opportunity or fifth tackle on the 15 at worst, we end up with fifth tackle on the 40 with everyone running backwards and lost all momentum. barring a calamity of injuries there is just no conceivable way we can pick him again. obviously reynolds is my option, but if something were to happen with him i'd rather go wallace or move carney or mullen into halfback rather than keep going down this path cause it's clearly not worked, and i can't see it working.

our forwards were the better pack tonight, but we just didn't have the polish to finish them off, nor the mentality. afraid to win.

our kicking was, and has been for years now, disgraceful. how often can you keep sticking it directly down the opposition throat and expect to nail them down in their half. the interesting think to note was towards the end of the match we managed to take a couple of clearance kicks on the full and ended up with great field position each time (think it was 3 in total)... well that's been ******* queensland's back three for several years now. kicking straight to them and constantly starting their set of six on the 30-40m line or even better.

our ball handling was poor too. dugan when he was coming through from the fifita off load (not an easy offload to take but should have been), jennings twice including stupidly going for it one handed... mcmanus and watmough both made crucial drops, although both were a bit cruel given i thought they were our two best players - watmough easily our best. probably the best game i've seen him play.

another year same result. * it.

How bout that, Ryan Giggs is a full on, fair dinkum league fan? The last time I liked him this much was when he missed a wide open goal in a FA cup semi against Arsenal 10 years ago or whenever it was.

a lot of the man utd boys are big league fans. wayne rooney is a known league head too. it's a fairly big sport in that part of the world.

Thought Fifita , Bird and Dugan were brilliant tonight.
Not sure if it was s**t-for-brains Pearce who tried to chip out wide with a 2 man overlap and a minute to play but that and when he changed his mind halfway thru running , decided to kick and had an air-swing at the pill on the 2nd tackle on our 10 just ruined us.
Thought Jennings was s**t in games 2 and 3.
Pretty *en dark on Blake Ferguson right now too.

Thought Fifita , Bird and Dugan were brilliant tonight.
fifita was solid. a real grinding performance where took loads of hits up but he never broke the line and i can only remember him giving of the one off-load (which was dropped) though. we really need more second phase ball from him. got stopped dead in his tracks a few times too.

dugan was good, but dropped that offload from fifita. was such a crucial drop. in attack there was a few times where he could've given off a pass but went himself and it didn't work out.

some stream of consciousness thoughts:

1) need moar McManus next year, also fifita. Someone who can kick too, maybe Carney, except he tends to have 1 or 2 off games every series.

2) not sure if an uninjured gallen on the field would have changed much tonight.

3) Jennings was disappointing, but then I believe he was a large part of us winning game 1, needs more consistency. Noone is as bad as uate was in defence last year.

4) next year just appeal the case that since inglis is both from NSW and played his first (junior? Rep? Whatever the one is) game in NSW, he is ineligible for QLD. I don't want him on the blues, I just feel bitter and spiteful right now.

Worst part is when we do win one I just know all the QLDers will respond with "win x more and then you can talk, queenslander woo!" *bottles you.

Could be worse I suppose, I could be from queensland...

Problem being that Queensland ran in a try during the interrupted play on tackle 5. So one can suggest that New South Wales could get the ball back for a goal line dropout and thus Queensland get the repeat set anyway.

The rule is logical for the rare times its used.

Yea, good call.

Funniest thing was watching Greg Bird fall over the security guy trying to claim interference.

Was it just me or did no Paul Gallen mean a clean SoO?

some stream of consciousness thoughts:

1) need moar McManus next year, also fifita. Someone who can kick too, maybe Carney, except he tends to have 1 or 2 off games every series.

2) not sure if an uninjured gallen on the field would have changed much tonight.

3) Jennings was disappointing, but then I believe he was a large part of us winning game 1, needs more consistency. Noone is as bad as uate was in defence last year.

4) next year just appeal the case that since inglis is both from NSW and played his first (junior? Rep? Whatever the one is) game in NSW, he is ineligible for QLD. I don't want him on the blues, I just feel bitter and spiteful right now.

Worst part is when we do win one I just know all the QLDers will respond with "win x more and then you can talk, queenslander woo!" *bottles you.

Could be worse I suppose, I could be from queensland...

Your Probably right. But Woods...22 meters. compared to Matt Scott 143 or something meters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For non-regular league watchers, why was contact allowed to the person trying to take the ball when they were in the air. Wasn't that a penalty before?

Not sure if anyone else replied to this. I had a quick look.

So the rule with tackling players in the air is you are not allowed to tackle defending players in the air. This is what Slater was when he was hit mid air. You are allowed to tackle attacking players because you have to stop them scoring tries. A defender is never going to score when he lands from a bomb.

It makes sense when you know the rule, but I can understand how that would be confusing if you didn't know last night.

Serious question for QLD supporters, do these wins mean anything anymore??

I can confirm these still mean so much to me. You have to remember that between 1992 and 2005 Queensland only won 3 series. They also drew 2 which gave them the shield again. So we kinda won 5. So any time we smash the Blues after those years is bloody awesome.

Yeah I don't get it Billy Slater got a penalty but the NSW bloke got nothing only thing I can think of is because NSW kicked it but that just defeats the purpose of having the rule because I believe it would only be to protect the players. Stupid Game!

So the rule with tackling players in the air is you are not allowed to tackle defending players in the air. This is what Slater was when he was hit mid air. You are allowed to tackle attacking players because you have to stop them scoring tries. A defender is never going to score when he lands from a bomb.

It makes sense when you know the rule, but I can understand how that would be confusing if you didn't know last night.

Your Probably right. But Woods...22 meters. compared to Matt Scott 143 or something meters.

woods has struggled in his first two games. i hope they persevere for a few more origins though because he is an excellent footballer, and is still young. at some point though he will have to deliver otherwise he'll be confined to the long list of good first grade footballers who haven't been able to step up.

hopefully tim grant can get fit and firing next year because at his size he is made for origin. tamou, fifita, grant and woods is a front row foursome that has the potential to dominate. there is also david klemmer coming through the ranks but has only played half a dozen first grade games yet so he's still got to prove himself at that level but he'll probably get first tracked as early as 2015 if he shows he is up to it.

Why did QLD start from tackle 1 again on that restart-scrum? They were on like tackle 3-4 originally. What BS.

The rule has always been that if there is an outside interference the set starts again with a scrum. Because it is such an old rule when they made it either side could win the scrum so it wasn't so bad then. The streaker did cost Queensland a try though so it wasn't so bad.

Considering you shouldn't be hitting players when they are in the air it is fine. When he is on the ground he isn't kicking people.

Except he has form for sliding feet first into players on the ground too - we've seen it several times at Origin level alone. And it isn't fine. Leading with the feet blocks anyone else from legally contesting the ball.

Except he has form for sliding feet first into players on the ground too - we've seen it several times at Origin level alone. And it isn't fine. Leading with the feet blocks anyone else from legally contesting the ball.

Leading with the feet/knees is a different problem altogether. I agree that this should be totally removed from the game.

The rule has always been that if there is an outside interference the set starts again with a scrum. Because it is such an old rule when they made it either side could win the scrum so it wasn't so bad then. The streaker did cost Queensland a try though so it wasn't so bad.
Ok it's the rule, fair enough. But that rule changed the outcome of the game. A much more prudent rule would just be a tap on tackle w/e it is....restarting the whole set just changed the whole match and its momentum. It allowed QLD to have 6 more tackles to score a try and chew up the clock, which they did, hence costing NSW any chance of winning. Yes, I know they scored a try during the interference when half the NSW team had paused, that was never going to be awarded a try.

What's even stupider is the security management that made this happen. You're payed to do your job and stop pitch invaders. I don't know how one man of that size and weight could find his way through countless security guards on the field. The security guards should have been lined up and around the entire perimeter of the stadium to stop farces like this happening. I think it's a learning lesson for them and they should take full responsibility for allowing it to happen so easily.

Anyway, congrats to QLD. A disciplined side who deserved the win.

Ok it's the rule, fair enough. But that rule changed the outcome of the game. A much more prudent rule would just be a tap on tackle w/e it is....restarting the whole set just changed the whole match and its momentum. It allowed QLD to have 6 more tackles to score a try and chew up the clock, which they did, hence costing NSW any chance of winning. Yes, I know they scored a try during the interference when half the NSW team had paused, that was never going to be awarded a try.

As I said in my other comment I think the rule does make more sense from when it was made. If either team had a chance at winning the ball similar to rugby union I don't think it would be anywhere near as bad. In league though as you said it is just a brand new set. I think they could do something about this for sure. I think though it is probably hard to have a hard and fast rule. Queensland had a 4 on 2 over lap so even with no streaker they would have most likely scored.

As I saw mentioned somewhere else also is that you spend the whole set working the opposition into position for one attack at the try line. So to just reset the defense for one tackle could be a bit harsh. Wouldn't be the worst decision though. Yeah that rule would probably work ok.

What's even stupider is the security management that made this happen. You're payed to do your job and stop pitch invaders. I don't know how one man of that size and weight could find his way through countless security guards on the field. The security guards should have been lined up and around the entire perimeter of the stadium to stop farces like this happening. I think it's a learning lesson for them and they should take full responsibility for allowing it to happen so easily.

This was ridiculous. There is now way he should have been able to make it that far.

A much more prudent rule would just be a tap on tackle w/e it is

Seeing as Queensland played the tackle out for a try (which was rightly disallowed) its not as simple as your making it out to be. Your suggesting that Queensland should be disadvantaged more than New South Wales territory wise and also suggesting ignoring the rules of Rugby League in the process. I'm all for a change to the rules, but as the game wasn't brought to a stop by the refs, your suggestion isn't practical.

But as pointed out Queensland STILL had the overlap and even then a range of options could of played out that saw Queensland get a repeat set anyway.

What's even stupider is the security management that made this happen. You're payed to do your job and stop pitch invaders.

Amazing that New South Wales ground management couldn't stop this from happening for the second Origin in a row and that the second time hurt their team in the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back