Media State of the List

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello.

Welcome to the thread of rhetorical questions. What does this mean?

State of the List – Coney Island Warriors

In an episode sure to kick off the Son of God and Frankston Rover bitch-fest all over again, today State of the List analyses an expansion club, the Coney Island Warriors. The Coney Island boys certainly had on field success, finishing a game inside the top 8 despite dropping 4 of their last 5 games. They also certainly made a big impact on the league off-field in their debut season, often criticised for their unrefined, Bay 13 style, match thread posting. However, activity is the name of the game (or a large part of the name at least), so will this impact their rankings? Did they mature to the point of their start to the season being forgiven? Was the Warriors making the finals in their debut season just a flash in the pan performance? Can the rigour of youth be maintained?

My first criticism? * me you guys spammed the s**t out of your team thread.

A+ Grade

Frankston Rover

I’ll address some issues right now, because I know people aren’t going to agree with me on this one. No, I do not think FR is a top 10 poster in the league. No, I do not think FR had a top 20 year in terms of on field performance. So why is he A+? Leadership. Frankston Rover absolutely set the tone for the Warriors this year, he shaped the club into what he believed would be the best image. He took a group of relatively inexperienced players and got them interested and involved. I don’t agree with his opinions a lot of the time, and certainly think he can be too brash and aggressive in style, but he never backs down from what he thinks is right, and he backs his clubs and team mates to the hilt. He also created quality statistics, which made my life easy once I could find the ******* things.

Hopefully his enthusiasm and leadership becomes ingrained in Warrior culture, and long-term the club maintains the standard he has set. Congratulations on an excellent debut year as skipper of the Warriors.

A Grade

BigJoeD
zackah
El Dubya

There is so much to be excited for the future about at the Warriors, in fact I’m making a big call and saying that this is the best group of first year posters at one club that we may ever see. All 3 of BigJoeD, Zackah and El Dubya took to the league like ducks to water, and have become a presence in non-match threads, which, in my opinion, is the biggest step to take as a rookie (did I utilise enough commas, beez?). In thread, they were witty and enthusiastic, and once they found their place they became much more relevant and refined. The key? Don’t be a one season wonder. All 3 have future leaders written all over them, particularly in a side that only had a leadership group of 2 last season. At some point, they are going to need to take the next step, and it will be a real detriment to the club if they aren’t there to make it. The problem? Inexperience. To be fair there is only around 5 posters at the club I would refer to as experienced, however there is a pretty large leadership and experience hole at the top of the tree here. FR needs to get his experienced heads posting more, or at a higher level, to provide more support and to nurture these 3 into the posters that they could become.

B Grade

Mr_Smooth
Sydney Bloods
invinciBlues
candiehappy
Lord_Flashheart
Reginald Perrin

And a pretty good group of B Graders acting as a support cast. All 6 demonstrated excellent relevancy and had the key B Grade ability, moving the match thread along. None had more than a couple of matches where they were overly active, and none showed a presence outside of match threads which is what held them back. However, this isn’t a negative thing. Clubs need B Graders, and the Warriors have some good ones. Only 1 of these posters had a considerable amount of experience, which again speaks wonders of the Warriors potential in the league.

The only issue I can think of with this group is that they need to be exploring the board a bit more, and showing their face outside of match threads. Quite a few I hadn’t really heard of and it took a bit of reading to form a reasonable opinion. This may not improve them from a B Grade to an A Grade, but it will certainly lift the Warriors overall image.

C Grade

Stronzo
eaglesfan99 / bffl
thetradesman
Aussie Rocker
Haduken

Unfortunately for the Warriors, it falls right off the cliff. This isn’t mean as an offence to those in this bracket, hopefully this is explained with the following. I think the biggest problem the Warriors face is that they have a core group of players that is very clique. Not in a high school, “OMG the Warriors are sooo cool I wish I could hang out with them #swag” kind of way, but in a Bay 13 kind of way. They all created their knowledge of each other and relationship with one another in Bay 13. This inexperienced group all knew each other. This would be a very hard thing to break into, and can be quite intimidating when, based upon my reading of the team thread, they have a very particular manner of posting. There isn’t much variety. There is also a lot of inside jokes, or outside jokes in reference to non-SFA content. It would be intimidating, and hard to understand, hard to break into. Has this created the sharp fall off we see here? Possibly. Who knows. I think it certainly may be a factor, though.

Onto the individuals. I feel that a couple of these posters created the early season poor press for the Warriors. They spammed. They were far too aggressive and unrefined. They seriously lacked depth and content. And they managed to dominate threads like this, and not dominate in a good way. They certainly posted enough to be considered B Grade or higher, however they were far too incendiary early and, I believe, stunted the early development of other posters. The others just didn’t get involved enough, but were solid enough bit-part contributors who showed their face time in time out. With 1 of this bracket retiring, the key is to increase the amount of posters in the C Bracket. Get more people contributing more often, or the cliqueness that I referred to earlier will just grow and exacerbate further.

F Grade

amos
Brucie Buffer
deathevocation
@DeeWong666
BoshtrichBurger (not enough time in the season to properly rate)
Mofra
oogac
Plugger35
@NetworkNed
Skippos
Norm Landrover

A lot of Bay 13 wastage in this group. I think with a new club, you can’t afford to carry much deadweight. You don’t have the appeal of being an old club to generate drafting, and you don’t have the alliance to an AFL club that a lot of the older SFA sides do. I think you need high turnover. A lot of these posters would absolutely kill it in the SFA if they were interested. But they aren’t. They just aren’t. Time to give up on dreams and potential, and get a new crop of rookies in. Particularly ones that don’t originate from Bay 13

Or, get them posting. Bosh showed he was back in the tailend of the season and I certainly wouldn’t expect to see him down here again. Others, I am not at all sure of.

Overall Grade

B-

So much potential. For a debut season I think the Warriors acquitted themselves very well, especially after only just making it into the league, and facing a lot of bad press early in the season. But I am concerned. They’re too Bay 13 central. I think the key to a strong qooty posting side is variety, different styles, different ways of engaging the opposition. The Warriors haven’t quite addressed this yet, and I would love to see them make a concerted recruiting drive outside of Bay 13.

That said, a very impressive debut season and I hope that this young list continues on the trajectory they are currently heading.

Until next time.

Not unhappy with that review.

Yes we have a lot of Bay 13 posters but my aim coming into the season was to try and bring new players into the competition and I think we did that really well. Losing candiehappy and invinciBlues was disappointing as I think they have awesome potential in this competition. I really hope they can come back.

All in all though, rapt to get a B- which wouldn't have been thought of at the start of the season.

Well argued on both accounts :thumbsu:
Well since invinblues and candle happy barely posted and got a b I think i should have got a b as well and el dubya is not in the same league as bigjoed and zackah who are towards the bottom end of a grade I believe.

Well since invinblues and candle happy barely posted and got a b I think i should have got a b as well and el dubya is not in the same league as bigjoed and zackah who are towards the bottom end of a grade I believe.
They both averaged more posts than you, hardly barely posting. Particularly invinciBLUES who only missed posting in 2 games? And, no offence, in my opinion they posted to a higher level than you did.

My logic and ranking is different for rookies, which I've said several times. In my opinion a rookies season shouldn't just be judged on their posting ability. It needs to be the impact they've had on the league, whether they've ventured out of team and match threads, created their own media etc. etc. El Dubs passed the test for a rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They both averaged more posts than you, hardly barely posting. Particularly invinciBLUES who only missed posting in 2 games?

My logic and ranking is different for rookies, which I've said several times. In my opinion a rookies season shouldn't just be judged on their posting ability. It needs to be the impact they've had on the league, whether they've ventured out of team and match threads, created their own media etc. etc. El Dubs passed the test for a rookie.
I don't think you should judge rookies differently, it's not like the afl where they need to get developed and age matters. Also putting me in the same category as the tradesman is just offensive.

I don't think you should judge rookies differently, it's not like the afl where they need to get developed and age matters. Also putting me in the same category as the tradesman is just offensive.
Of course they need to get developed. Using myself as an example, it took me a good two seasons to find my niche as a poster. I still remember being ridiculed for my banter by Rhodesy_Blues in my first game. And you know what? He was right, I was awful. I read some of my early stuff, it was horrid. Relevancy, humour, depth... they all take time.

If you're here in two season I bet you'll look back on your first seasons worth of banter and think "what the * was that?"

I find it hard to tell you two apart.

I find it hard to tell you two apart.

It's quite easy actually if you know the sings to look for. For starters, I've never seen eaglesfan actually whinge about being picked on or double standards, nor has ever PMd our leadership group after game to complain about the banter.

Seriously, the tradesman is just the worst.

You need to give him time to think about what he has said guys, give him some air.
You see the post after, that means I wasn't comparing you to an ugly chick I was comparing the tradesman to one actually I was comparing you to me so take it as a compliment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back