Media State of the List

Remove this Banner Ad

Super-Elite? I feel ya :thumbsu: I'll have a think and make changes tomorrow.

I'd be honored to be the first super elite player you nominate; I think it's fair considering i'm your Nigerian uncle/prince you've never heard about and i'm allowing you! yes you! to inherit my fortune.

Super-Elite? I feel ya :thumbsu: I'll have a think and make changes tomorrow.

I know it's your list, and it's all up to you, but i would have had pants and Juggs in the Elite category (because when either of them get up and running at full steam, no one in their team comes close kind of category), THB and brahj in A and Matera (i just didn't see enough of Matera, lots of potential, but not in the same bracket as brahj) in like a potential A grade category.
but it is a hard thing youre doing. just my two cents. good luck.

I'm going to regret saying this ... but I think DemonJim is an A-grade poster. *ducks*

ea6dt.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello.

Welcome to the thread of rhetorical questions. What does this mean?

State of the List – West Coast Wonders

In today’s episode of State of the List, we take a look at the West Coast Wonders, the reigning premiers of Season 17, who toiled through what must have been a disappointing season.

The Wonders finished second to bottom of the Season 18 SFA, with just 5 wins for the season (2 of which came in the last 3 rounds, when everything was done and dusted.) Questions surely have to be asked of the Wonders, they lost their captain, PVF, to a temporary retirement (coinciding with the early season form slump). As well as this, they lost DemonJim, Brown Bottle, QS, Sydney Bloods, eaglesfan99, Son of Skeletor and Cotch_9; many of which were key members of the Wonders premiership side. Did the exodus contribute to their on-field woes? Were they unable to cover these departures? Off-field I had to really do some research into, because the slack *s at the Wonders didn’t have anyone collating and publishing posting stats. Here I was thinking that TheFreshBanana didn’t have a life. Anyway, I digress. I admit now that this analysis may be a little off in the C and F Brackets because I’m not dedicated enough to go through every single one of their match threads counting posting stats. Overall their thread numbers seemed to wax and wane, and it will be interesting to see how much their loss of quality in the off-season affected this.

A+ Grade

Courtesy of fitzroybulldog, we will be implementing a new bracket from now on, the super elite “A+ Grade”. Unfortunately for the Wonders, they don’t have any. Now, don’t get me wrong. They have posters that previously would have had A+ seasons, and a couple of their posters had good seasons either posting or playing this season. However no one was truly able to put it together on and off-field to earn that A+ ranking. This I feel, is a big issue for the Wonders, they don’t have that truly elite player able to drag them through the match thread and game, and bring others along with them. The most qualified candidate (and captain), TheFreshBanana, surely has to consider a move into the midfield to have more of an impact for his team. croweater 41 is also a chance, but I’ll get more into that later.

A Grade

TheFreshBanana
croweater 41

And here we have the second big issue for the Wonders, they only have 2 A Grade qootyers in TFB and crowie. Both were thrust into more prominent leadership roles this season, with PVF and ClarkeM fading into the background. Both put in excellent efforts and should be content knowing that I, Noobz0r, consider them worthy of this ranking. Both kept the team and match threads buzzing along, with tagging teammates and quality banter. On field, TFB had a disappointing season, only managing 9 goals in his forward pocket. My belief is that he needs to inject himself into the midfield, as he clearly struggled leading his team so deep in the forward line. Crowie fared a little better on field, coming 5th in the Alfie, however he was a big 16 majors behind the winner, Bengwatkins. Like with TFB, my concern is that crowie can’t influence the game, nor lead properly, being stuck deep forward.

So, what does this mean? Firstly, the Wonders need to find a solution to the issue of lacking quality. They need to either attract A Graders from other clubs, or recruit well and nurture their own. Having 2 players carrying the side will mean burnout, and other sides can easily target what little quality they have. Secondly, I believe that either Crowie or TFB needs to become more of an on-field leader, and stop hiding deep forward.

B Grade

ClarkeM
SSwans2011

And here we have another big issue for the Wonders. Having only a couple of A Graders can be covered if you have solid workhorses behind it supporting them through the match thread. Unfortunately for the Wonders, they again only have 2 members of this bracket. ClarkeM certainly used to be an A+ or A Grader, but, as he admitted, he has burned out. Whilst still active around the league, he just doesn’t have the same joy or substance that he once had. However, he is active enough to create a presence and keep him as a B Grader, a good effort for someone with so many years in the league. Though his attraction to bumping old threads with a one-liner to somehow validate his giant ego is getting tiring. SSwans2011 is someone I’m a big fan of, and is the epitome of a B Grader (and there’s no shame in that). He posts consistently each week and keeps the thread moving with good humoured, relevant banter.

The problem? There isn’t enough B Graders to support their dearth of A Graders. Particularly with ClarkeM stating that he will barely be a presence at all next season. The Wonders need to get more of the C and F Graders posting at a B Grade level, as this will have an effect upon their whole list. They also need more rookies coming in and posting at this level as ClarkeM, PVF and ShaunDuggan are never going reach the same heights again.

C Grade

JP Sauce
Tiff
RookieListed
Jarlcorbz
HaroCant II
Wooljay
Golumless
Shallow
PVF

These posters are exactly the types that need to be pushing themselves up into the B Grade to help the Wonders. The majority of them are quality, when posting. Some of them hold down key positions in the side (ruck, wing, centre, on-ball, CHF) and contribute on-field, however you can’t post inconsistently and without depth and expect to be ranked higher. And herein lies the Wonders challenge, can these posters replace what was lost in the off-season? The good news is that the majority of these C Graders are rookies or still relatively green, meaning that the fact they are posting at all can be seen as a positive. There are many factors as to why a rookie is still sporadic, a lack of understand or confidence for instance (or may not have yet refined their banter), and it is important that the leaders at the Wonders nurture these raw players into the B Graders and A Graders that they so desperately need. The two I am particularly excited about are Golumless and HaroCant II, one needs to spend more time in the league and increase their presence (Golumless), and the other needs to work on their banter, but the enthusiasm is right up there (HC II).

F Grade

Joshen
Yellow Feathers
Marklar_33
Frothies Mcveigh
Speck
jjsmitty8
Big Bad Buddy
SuperSub17
Snake Charmer
southernswannies
Mop
ShaunDuggan

Firstly, apologies to any posters in the above that don’t deserve to be in here because I don’t know who you are and I haven’t looked through enough Wonders match threads.

Far too many quality F Graders. My point however, isn’t that these posters should be posting more, some (Duggs, Merkler, Gibbsy, Speck) have done their time. However, maybe it is time to let go and bring in some fresh, keen, rookies. Or, maybe it’s time to light a fire underneath them and get them back and posting again. On the other end of the scale, there are also a lot of rookies in the bracket (7 by my count), meaning that either the leadership either hasn’t engaged them well enough, or that they are duds. Either way, it is the same scenario as above, either cut the deadweight or get them interested.

What does this mean? The Wonders have deadweight, and a lot of it. And this is what has hurt the most with last seasons departures, they haven’t replaced it with enough engaged rookies, or the old hands haven’t been able to step up. This is where their list needs a lot of work. If you push F Graders into C Graders, competition for spots arises, with competition for spots comes C Graders posting at B Grade level and so on. More posters posting also drags team mates into banter, and creates a more well-rounded match thread.

Overall Grade

C-

I’m far too kind-natured to give a side a D (hehehehehe), however the Wonders went close. A shambles of a premiership defence on-field, and an inability to replace talent off-field has led to a lot of holes in a list, and I think they have gotten away without there being much chat about this during S18 (they have the Bears and Warriors to thank methinks). They really need a strong recruitment drive, and some sort of impetus going into S19, or they are going to struggle again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back