Universal Love Steve Hocking has retired as AFL operations manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary lying getting stuck into Pendlebury about the umpire dissent bs.

The media pay the players wages?
Surely the players wages would come from the club which makes its money from members/sponsors/game day etc, or am I missing something?

A3E32754-38A8-4784-9095-3E1D4619D519.jpeg

Gary lying getting stuck into Pendlebury about the umpire dissent bs.

The media pay the players wages?
Surely the players wages would come from the club which makes its money from members/sponsors/game day etc, or am I missing something?

View attachment 1379780

What an absolute ******* of a comment.

If this is what we have descended to, the media thinking they can control things because they pay so much for the rights, then the whole order of things needs to be thought through again.

As much as the players ..AFL house and the AFL media might not like it to be so the truth is the fans are the game ...none of them are anything without us ....they could do with our memberships each year a survey and ask us about proposed changes ...they never do a media release to inform us the fans of changes ..to be fair they take us for heckin granted and sadly I'm finding myself year after year more and more disengaged many people I talk to sadly feel the same way ..and for Christ's sake can we please get rid of those absolute blights on the game the Scott brothers they are a disgrace

As much as the players ..AFL house and the AFL media might not like it to be so the truth is the fans are the game ...none of them are anything without us ....they could do with our memberships each year a survey and ask us about proposed changes ...they never do a media release to inform us the fans of changes ..to be fair they take us for fu**in granted and sadly I'm finding myself year after year more and more disengaged many people I talk to sadly feel the same way ..and for Christ's sake can we please get rid of those absolute blights on the game the Scott brothers they are a disgrace
You are right, all the money the AFL gets is due to the fans, media pay for broadcast rights because fans watch, sponsors because fans watch, fans pay for memberships, tickets and spend money at games. Problem is there is no AFL fans association (AFLFA) to have a seat at the table but if there was and it was organised, the fight would be over before it started. Zero eyeballs and attendance for one round would make the point loud and clear.

Just like almost all corporations, the primary concern of the AFL is money. The primary source of their money is broadcast rights and sponsorships - not fans.

As much as I'd love it to be different - and for them to actually give a heck about fans/memberships/clubs - the reality is they do not. We as fans and even paid members have very little value or power in the relationship.

Even if they did run fan surveys or even if fans set up a change.org petition or even if fans stopped rocking up to the footy, it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the AFL. Perversely, not turning up might increase viewing numbers, which further strengthens the AFL.

Decisions they make have already been steered by TV rights partners, who want the game to look and play a certain way. They constantly make compromises by getting into partnerships with betting agencies and now - hilariously - NFTs and crypto. It's why they have blown wads of cash on s**t like AFLX. They're slaves to the broadcast rights dollar.

It's the key reason that I feel increasingly disengaged with AFL-level football. It's unlikely to ever get better, honestly.

I guess one thing people could do would be to stop watching and starve the broadcaster, although I figure that would just lead to the AFL being even more extreme in trying to lick their boots for more money on the next deal and introducing 12 field umpires or something stupid like that.

I am very proud of the club at the moment. When you hear them talk it’s obvious they know they’ve been undermined by rule changes and targeted by the afl in a number of other underhanded ways (eg. through afl media narratives, free kick non-calls…). But it’s not something they can control. They are sitting back in my opinion and not going to have a nervous breakdown by fighting a losing battle. They are waiting to see where the dust settles before going again. Might as well pocket some decent draft picks and bide our time. The club’s anger is palpable and justified. I think they are controlling what they can control while being honest at the same time. I think we stand for better values than the AFL and they don’t want their bottom line dinted by good values, which is why Gale won’t even get a look in.

While I’m at it, I am actually sickened by these periodic rule “adjustments”. The no arm raising is diabolical. It is too restrictive. The players are not robots and it is too extreme. Cultural change always takes time and the AFL are rushing this through and getting a power trip at the same time. The crackdown should be on aggression directed at the umpires and not disappointment, complaining or querying. Respect for umpires could have been achieved with more respect for the fans and I’m not sure people are going to respect this authoritarian, repressive approach in a country like Australia anyway. It is making me angry at the umpires and I’m generally neutral about umpiring unless it’s a howler.

Just like almost all corporations, the primary concern of the AFL is money. The primary source of their money is broadcast rights and sponsorships - not fans.

As much as I'd love it to be different - and for them to actually give a fu** about fans/memberships/clubs - the reality is they do not. We as fans and even paid members have very little value or power in the relationship.

Even if they did run fan surveys or even if fans set up a change.org petition or even if fans stopped rocking up to the footy, it wouldn't make a lick of difference to the AFL. Perversely, not turning up might increase viewing numbers, which further strengthens the AFL.

Decisions they make have already been steered by TV rights partners, who want the game to look and play a certain way. They constantly make compromises by getting into partnerships with betting agencies and now - hilariously - NFTs and crypto. It's why they have blown wads of cash on s**t like AFLX. They're slaves to the broadcast rights dollar.

It's the key reason that I feel increasingly disengaged with AFL-level football. It's unlikely to ever get better, honestly.

I guess one thing people could do would be to stop watching and starve the broadcaster, although I figure that would just lead to the AFL being even more extreme in trying to lick their boots for more money on the next deal and introducing 12 field umpires or something stupid like that.

I am canning my foxtel next year after it runs out, I still have kayo

why should we respect the umpires when they use no lube on us every week

fu** em

you give rfc fair umpiring and you'll get my respect you pea hearts
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back