Steve Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want to push Michael Vaughan off a cliff, what a knob he is.

he's becoming a bit painful. acting slightly like he was singlehandedly responsible for bringing the ashes back to england. aside from that 166 in manchester he did * all in the 2005 ashes.

he did have a frustratingly good record against australia though for a guy who was just a solid opener. cashed in big time - his first four half centuries against us resulted in a lowest score of 145.

Smith has a lot of potential, was rushed into the team way too early though.

Everyone knows this kid is a gun, and is in some great form right now in the test arena. He seems a permanent fixture for Australia for the next decade and some are saying he is a future captain.

What do we expect from him career wise? Currently has a test average of 37.60 which has risen after his efforts this summer.

Personally I would be happy if he averaged around 42 with the bat for the rest of his career and wouldn't care if he didn't bowl another ball.

I think the days of having your entire top 6 average over or close to 50 for Australia are over, and I hope the public doesn't have too high expectations on him. 40 is a good average in my opinion.

Also who do you think will be the next Aussie batsman to average mid to high 50s in their career ?

Could be anything as they say on the drafts and trading board.

Seeing him plonk Philander back over his head was very Mark Waugh, just has utter distain for quality bowling when he's feeling it

I reckon he'll end up with an average close to or above 50 if he doesn't waste time trying to perfect his bowling.
His temperament and shot selection are very good and he's going to make a lot of 50s and 100s in the next few years, particularly as he's proven his worth on English, Australian and South African pitches, and was one of few who didn't embarrass himself in India.

Think the next batsman to average mid-high 50s will be one we haven't heard of yet.
Every now and then a freak comes along but I don't see it being any of Warner, Smith or Hughes at this point, the three players around the age that they could be around for another 10 years. Shield averages have dropped but then again Shield pitches have provided great assistance for bowlers, particularly in Tasmania.

Any average above 40 with the bat is spot on for Smitteh. Should be our #6 for the next 5+ years.

Should still be bowling more. Couple of overs per innings. Serious legspin talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good to have him pencilled into the side on his current form though, isn't it. A few months ago Clarke was the only given in our top 6.
Now we've got Warner and Smith there too. It makes it easier. Don't know where our next number 3 comes from though, it's been difficult for Doolan to come in and start there against the best pace attack in the world on their home decks.

I'd rather not move Smith up from the middle order though, there's little point in moving a batsman from where he's comfortable.

Also who do you think will be the next Aussie batsman to average mid to high 50s in their career ?

Potentially Dave Warner could be the next batsman to average 50 or above:

Currently averaging 43

He has had 8 scores of 50 or more in his last 8 tests, which is including the current test series against South Africa.

With 4 100's and 4 50's.

Amassing 523 runs at 58 in the Ashes in Australia and so far 398 runs at 79 in South Africa

Which is an amazing 921 runs at 68 in just two test series

I think the days of having your entire top 6 average over or close to 50 for Australia are over, and I hope the public doesn't have too high expectations on him. 40 is a good average in my opinion.
I agree the expected average of a top middle order batsman has dropped, but I still reckon they should all be looking to pass 45. And I think Smith is capable of getting there. If you're capable of getting scores in both India and South Africa, I think you have the kind of game to consistently score runs no matter where you are. Whether he can get the big scores to really push the average up I'm not sure.

I'd take an average of 40 any day of the week, but he has it in him to sit on that 45-48 mark over the next 7-8 years in my opinion. His technique has improved drastically in the last 12 months, and I can see it getting even better with age.
He'll be the next captain for sure.

Well yeah, it's basically impossible to tell, but I reckon Jordan Silk will be our next batting great. Proper top order technique.

Really improved and has worked hard on his game. I believe he can bat as high as 4 and have success. If he improves at this rate he could easily average 45+ at his peak.

Would like to see him in the ODI side and potentially stand as captain and see how he goes. Working with Clarke would do wonders for him as a potential skipper.

Amazing what happens when you pick a talented youngster and give him time to establish himself.
If only some others were afforded the same respect - Hughes, Khawaja... Although with Clarke's back worsening they had to establish a future captain in the side and they obviously see one in Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back