Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The idea is to post problems and concerns with the Streaming Platform’s interfaces.

Here’s mine atm

Binge seems to control the subtitles for Prime Amazon, Paramount and Disney

I can’t access Disney’s subtitles at all, the others are okay

The only way to turn on/off Disney subtitles

There are other interface issues, but this is the main one atm

I am running all of these through the last model Telstra Box

Any thoughts?

we use stan and netflix only at this stage.

part of the problem if you will, is the mythical algorithm tailoring your potential things to watch. is there not (why not?) an option to filter in or out things you select? it could be an actor, genre, year, director, soundtrack composer, anything at all pertaining to a movie or show. they would rather have us drown in choices we have no control over than whittle down the options - greater chance of cancelling our subscriptions. all we have is the search function.

imagine how streamlined our choosing would be if a show was only ever listed once in all of your options. it could be heaven.

consider something like steam, yet again. the options it presents can be to your specifications somewhat. you can add things to an ignore list. you could set some options when you first plop into the platform, bingo. instead, you wade through the swamp of all the stuff it has. resentment builds.

i call bullshit on netflix's top 10 list. i have no proof of course, but it could just as easily be a list of things that netflix wants to push to the public. there doesn't seem to be any other explanation for anything older than about 2 years appearing in that list, unless it was a one-time big thing only recently added. it sometimes comes across as very arbitrary.

we use stan and netflix only at this stage.

part of the problem if you will, is the mythical algorithm tailoring your potential things to watch. is there not (why not?) an option to filter in or out things you select? it could be an actor, genre, year, director, soundtrack composer, anything at all pertaining to a movie or show. they would rather have us drown in choices we have no control over than whittle down the options - greater chance of cancelling our subscriptions. all we have is the search function.

imagine how streamlined our choosing would be if a show was only ever listed once in all of your options. it could be heaven.

consider something like steam, yet again. the options it presents can be to your specifications somewhat. you can add things to an ignore list. you could set some options when you first plop into the platform, bingo. instead, you wade through the swamp of all the stuff it has. resentment builds.

i call bullshit on netflix's top 10 list. i have no proof of course, but it could just as easily be a list of things that netflix wants to push to the public. there doesn't seem to be any other explanation for anything older than about 2 years appearing in that list, unless it was a one-time big thing only recently added. it sometimes comes across as very arbitrary.
Oh great the third different category these three things Netflix wants me to watch have appeared in

Its easier to get blood stains out of carpet with a rag than trying to get a show you dont want to continue watching off the continue watching row of Binge.

And dont get me started on trying to rewatch a show. it keeps starting the next episode from where you left off the first time. so it keeps replaying the credits of every episode. Its an absolute disaster of a site

I can’t stand how Netflix doesn’t give you a free moment. You look at the menu and everything begins playing (a preview, or sometimes even the film/show itself) if you linger for too long. And then there’s of course it rushing you to the next thing the minute credits begin.

A platform that just totally denies you a second to breathe. Genuinely frustrating.

When you pause a show/movie on Binge and come back to it 15 minutes later it doesn't start without exiting it and reopening it. Anyone else had that issue?

Its interface is also shocking.

I always find Disney+ very glitchy as an app. Sometimes it can take 3 times to start a show. Or adjusting the volume on the TV makes the app s**t itself.

I have the same problem as you re: taking 2-3 times to begin a show/episode on Disney+. I just presumed it was my television. Maybe not.

I do not have the volume problem though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t stand how Netflix doesn’t give you a free moment. You look at the menu and everything begins playing (a preview, or sometimes even the film/show itself) if you linger for too long. And then there’s of course it rushing you to the next thing the minute credits begin.

A platform that just totally denies you a second to breathe. Genuinely frustrating.

This does my absolute head in to the point where I sit in the menu on the left to avoid it

Currently with paramount it will just freeze, have an error msg. Have to then exit and then resume. Happens 3 times an hour approx. Binge could be the worst for me though. It crashes and also never remembers where you are. Will just automatically play the last 10 mins of S1 when you're on S3. Glitchy. I even spoke with binge tech support who said they know this happens, they hear it all the time and admitted they aren't going to fix it and it's being doing it for years.

I have the same problem as you re: taking 2-3 times to begin a show/episode on Disney+. I just presumed it was my television. Maybe not.

I do not have the volume problem though.
I had a period where if I were using Bluetooth headphones on my TV, I'd get an error message when I tried to start a show/movie, but that seems to be OK now.

Had some problems with Prime lately. You watch a show, and it's OK. Then you watch something else, and the video doesn't load, just the landing page of the show you just watched. But you can hear the sound of the new show. The only way to fix it, I find, is to unplug the TV and plug it back in again to reboot it.

I have also noticed on P+ that with this video playback optimization thing now, the sound ends up being out of sync with the video. You have to stop it and start it again, and it's then OK.

But it just might be my crappy TV doing this if no one else is experiencing these issues.

Last edited:
Both times I've tried to watch the T20 replay on Kayo, the commentary and vision have been out of sync. Even if I fast forward a minute and it gets back into sync, it loses it within a minute or two. very annoying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back