Sydney Swans Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Dude where did all the so called Syd fans go to last year?

Why have they suddenly come back?

Look you guys get a free ride, you know it, everyone knows it.

This acadamy thing is just added on to the COLA and the favourable MRP.

I love how the same people that screamed for Buddy to be rubbed out in last years Finals were the same ones screaming out he was innocent last week.

Stop with this "you non Syd fans do not understand"

In fact we understand exactly why the Syd get all these advantages.

PS, it was not a Hawk supporter who started this thread.
wow, you keep popping up everywhere the Swans are mentioned. Obsessed much?

The diplomatic answer would be because they have a smaller percentage of local grown talent on their list compared to all other teams.

The clubs\afl need to ensure that some highly quality development coaches are hired to ensure these young players develop properly, but I can see a few clubs kicking up a storm as soon as 1 club gets lucky with two players worthy of a first round draft pick especially if they finish in the top 4.

you'll be filthy next year then....

wow, you keep popping up everywhere the Swans are mentioned. Obsessed much?
Wow, you keep pretending that 2013 never happened and that footy started and finished in 2012. :eek:

I'm surprised just how little the swans have done for football in NSW. I compare this with Hawthorn that has four players hailing from NSW on their primary list - Bruest, Suckling, Langford and Smith.

I note Hawthorn doesn't ask for and nor do they receive AFL provided advantages for promoting football in NSW.
Nail ,Hammer, Head. :thumbsu:

Dude where did all the so called Syd fans go to last year?

Why have they suddenly come back?

Look you guys get a free ride, you know it, everyone knows it.

This acadamy thing is just added on to the COLA and the favourable MRP.

I love how the same people that screamed for Buddy to be rubbed out in last years Finals were the same ones screaming out he was innocent last week.

Stop with this "you non Syd fans do not understand"

In fact we understand exactly why the Syd get all these advantages.

PS, it was not a Hawk supporter who started this thread.

we were always here you probably just had your head too far up your collective arses on the hawks board

I understand the need for it, I don't like it but that doesn't mean I don't accept.

But let's face it, our opinions are pretty much irrelevant with things like this, the teams from NSW & Queensland will always be receiving added benefits over and above the rest of the competition.

The reality is that this season NSW have at least 5 maybe more realistic draft chances. If other clubs want them bid for them. Sure Heeney is head and shoulders above the rest but there are other diamonds out there. Have a look at the Bushrangers or Rams one day or NSW/ACT at the U18 Championships if you don't believe me.
I'm just upset that the Pies put so much time and effort into a lot of dud scholarship players over the years yet Sydney kept finding some good ones. I count Witts as a win but I also remember Hartley, Edwards, Camilleri and Reed.
Well done to the Northern states for putting the time and effort into these programs as I'm sure AFL will be the big winner.

I'm just upset that the Pies put so much time and effort into a lot of dud scholarship players over the years yet Sydney kept finding some good ones. I count Witts as a win but I also remember Hartley, Edwards, Camilleri and Reed.

Tom Young was a decent pick up by the Pies. I know he's no longer at your club but at least he's still in the AFL system.

Not sure the scholarship scheme really yielded that much for the Swans, particularly when you bare in mind how many they had move through their system. Bird was an early win but he wasn't really a product of the scheme - passed over once in the draft as an underager before the scheme really got going but always a decent chance to get drafted by someone the next year.

Apart from Bird, we had Jack Lynch on the rookie list for a year and now Daniel Robinson is into his second year (and knocking at the door of senior football but with a tough midfield to break into). Perris is the last of the litter and also has his work cut out to graduate to senior footy at the Swans, especially given he's small and not overly quick. (Great footy brain though, and excellent endurance.) Most of the other NSW players who have spent time on the Swans rookie list weren't scholarship players.

Collingwood and Hawthorn were the two clubs outside the state who put a decent effort into the scheme. They may not have found much in terms of long term senior players but at least they gave a fair few kids the chance. Most other clubs weren't particularly interested, which isn't necessarily a criticism of them, just of what a scheme whereby a small handful of kids are picked at ages 15-17 and with no real infrastructure in place to advance their development beyond the U18 system already in place. A week or twos training with their host clubs during school holidays was never going to make much of a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the northern teams have to draft a higher percentage of interstate kids than clubs in regular football markets like Victoria and wa. Which increases the risk of players leaving to play closer to home.

Brisbane's mass exodus of young players last year is a perfect example of why they need academy's.

Brisbane's mass exodus of young players last year is a perfect example of why they need academy's.

But Brisbane were compensated with players and draft picks that will hopefully be their next group of top line players. e.g Cutler, Robertson, Taylor, Gardiner. They didn't just walk out and leave the lions with nothing. Fair chance this batch of players will be better than Yeo, Docherty, Karnezis and Longer anyway.

But Brisbane were compensated with players and draft picks that will hopefully be their next group of top line players. e.g Cutler, Robertson, Taylor, Gardiner. They didn't just walk out and leave the lions with nothing. Fair chance this batch of players will be better than Yeo, Docherty, Karnezis and Longer anyway.

We got compensated pick 22, 25, 28, 33, 34, West and Paine for pick 5, 8, 12, 25 and 30 (and 29). Just because we appeared to have drafted well doesn't mean we weren't screwed over.

We got compensated pick 22, 25, 28, 33, 34, West and Paine for pick 5, 8, 12, 25 and 30 (and 29). Just because we appeared to have drafted well doesn't mean we weren't screwed over.

Maybe you should have treated them better while they were there.

Don't see too many quality young players leaving the Gold Coast !!!

It has very little to do with location its all about the culture of the club. Dont see too many interstate players leaving Geelong.

Maybe you should have treated them better while they were there.

Don't see too many quality young players leaving the Gold Coast !!!

It has very little to do with location its all about the culture of the club. Dont see too many interstate players leaving Geelong.

Apart from Karnezis, none were treated badly at our club IMO. Polec was injured a fair bit, and played when he was fit (often when any other young player would've been made to play more in the reserves). Yeo was entrenched in the best 22. Longer played 9 games in 2 seasons for a ruckman which is pretty good considering his age. Docherty also played a fair bit, but I think with him his father's health probably had a say in him eventually leaving.

But if you look at those five players, that's our first 2 or 3 high picks in two years that were drafted from interstate that were at risk of leaving.

Your Gold Coast example is poor because they've had extra money in their salary cap to help retain their players. We'll trade our academy in for extra salary cap space if you want... Not to mention Gold Coast got the cream of the crop from Queensland for a few years there, which meant that we couldn't draft those players who aren't a chance of leaving due to home sickness.

While I agree that club culture is important, it's also much easier to keep your interstate players when you're successful. Problem is the cyclical nature of AFL means teams are normally not successful for extended periods of time. Along with the COLA, that's a main reason why Sydney's been able to keep their list together for a long time. Geelong have nearly 50% of their list from their home state compared to Brisbane who have 15%. Therefore Geelong have 50% of their list at risk of returning to their home state (probably less because of Tasmanian players), compared to Brisbane who have 85% of their list at risk.

Not to mention that there's a higher chance that players returning home will be from Victoria (by pure numbers in the league), therefore Geelong have a chance to pick up a high draft pick returning home (e.g. Caddy) than Brisbane do of picking up a high draft pick that's a Queenslander returning home.

The reality is that this season NSW have at least 5 maybe more realistic draft chances. If other clubs want them bid for them. Sure Heeney is head and shoulders above the rest but there are other diamonds out there. Have a look at the Bushrangers or Rams one day or NSW/ACT at the U18 Championships if you don't believe me.
Well done to the Northern states for putting the time and effort into these programs as I'm sure AFL will be the big winner.

Remember watching Hartley a couple of times in the NAB Cup and was impressed. Injuries cut him down though didn't they?

Why the * do Sydney always luck out? FFS they get one of the best mids in Isaac Heeney with a late teens pick.....

So picking players in the draft/pre season draft from NSW is doing something for footy in NSW??

All four of those Hawthorn players are arguably best 22; how well represented are NSW players in the Swans best 22. So yes, developing the game in NSW has always been about getting more players from that State playing in the AFL. In the case of Suckling, Breust and Langford they have all come off the rookie list and hence the club has placed an investment in them from a long way out.
It seems the swans, despite all of the advantages handed them by the AFL in funding of academies and preference in recruitment, rather than go down the path of development of their own esp. NSW players, have taken the easy path of using their AFL funded COLA to attack the depth of other clubs i.e. Kennedy and McGlynn.

[/quote] One is F/S [/QUOTE]

Langford was never father/son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back