Sydney Swans will play all home matches at the SCG from *2016* onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I was very sceptical that we would make this happen particularly given Ireland himself had said recently that it was very useful to have two stadiums to compete against each other for pricing but I'm delighted as I think 99.9% of all Swans fans will.

Makes me think that the Swans have managed to negotiate a better deal with SCG Trust as the Trust has notoriously been difficult to deal with and insistent on charging high prices for rent. I imagine the Trust saw the high crowds this year and the success of the side as something valuable to secure alone.

ANZ also has some problems with organising its NRL deal at this stage so I'm very glad we've rid ourselves of that mess.

That said, the only West Coast win I have ever seen was an ANZ game (Rnd1 2007), and so I'm probably a little unfairly over the top in my celebration. It could be argued that ANZ has been the kindest ground to me lol.

Sorry ANZ :( Shame on me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soon as I saw the redevelopment plans for ANZ, I thought, Good, that's an end to playing AFL at that horrible monstrosity. Sydney are much, much better off playing at the SCG.

Can't wait to see 45k people packing out the SCG for the Pies V Swans match

ANZ just had a soulless empty feel that sucked the passion from matches

I remember Collingwood playing the Swans at the SCG in 1999 to a packed house. Though the reason it was packed out was because everyone was expecting Tony Lockett to get his 1300th goal. I also think Collingwood may have played the Swans at the SCG in the early 2000's as well but I am not sure about that.

Either way it has been at least a decade since Collingwood has played at the SCG.

A perfect example of how good a ground it is for the blockbusters was against Port Adelaide earlier in the year. The only reason it was at the SCG was because the AFL did not expect that game to be a top of the table clash. If they did then it would have been played at ANZ as well. The SCG looked amazing that day against Port.

Our long national nightmare is over.

Seriously though, we better not be getting stuffed over by the SCG Trust. It looks like staying at ANZ wasn't even an option considering the redevelopment, so we may have got a bum deal.

Says it's a 30 year agreement though so we'll be there for awhile.

Home team should play where it chooses. However the ground should be big enough so that they are not turning people away at the gates. No biggie either way. They clearly cant sell out Homebush. Will be interesting where the AFL directs them to play finals though. You are only guaranteed home state advantage. Its an interesting thought that the home team may play its home final at a foreign ground .

A perfect example of how good a ground it is for the blockbusters was against Port Adelaide earlier in the year. The only reason it was at the SCG was because the AFL did not expect that game to be a top of the table clash. If they did then it would have been played at ANZ as well. The SCG looked amazing that day against Port.

That and the fact that Port even at the top of the ladder were never going to draw a massive crowd in Sydney

I remember Collingwood playing the Swans at the SCG in 1999 to a packed house. Though the reason it was packed out was because everyone was expecting Tony Lockett to get his 1300th goal. I also think Collingwood may have played the Swans at the SCG in the early 2000's as well but I am not sure about that.

Either way it has been at least a decade since Collingwood has played at the SCG.

That was such a weird game really in NSW at the time. I had school friends at the time with no regular interest in the AFL who were either planning to attend the game or watch it on TV. Even all the old ladies on Sunday morning at Church were pulling for Lockett.

Home team should play where it chooses. However the ground should be big enough so that they are not turning people away at the gates. No biggie either way. They clearly cant sell out Homebush. Will be interesting where the AFL directs them to play finals though. You are only guaranteed home state advantage. Its an interesting thought that the home team may play its home final at a foreign ground .

Will actually be really interesting as right now the SCG has some sort of contractual agreement with ANZ Stadium not to exceed their capacity above 50,000 or something like that. If ANZ Stadium is going to become a rectangular ground does that mean the contract saying the SCG can't expand to over 50,000 is gone as the SCG will no longer be in direct competition with ANZ.

That and the fact that Port even at the top of the ladder were never going to draw a massive crowd in Sydney

That game got 41,317 people and it looked fantastic. Other than Adelaide Oval there are no other grounds in the AFL that could look that good.

If 41,317 people turned up to ANZ Stadium the stadium would only be half full and there would be no where near the same kind of atmosphere that the SCG creates.

That game got 41,317 people and it looked fantastic. Other than Adelaide Oval there are no other grounds in the AFL that could look that good.

If 41,317 people turned up to ANZ Stadium the stadium would only be half full and there would be no where near the same kind of atmosphere that the SCG creates.

40 is about as big a crowd as you would get between Sydney and Port. Which is my point. They would never bother to schedule a Port game at ANZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back