Tas wants one club to play 8 games

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll try again, my experience (& I've lived & gone to the footy in every mainland State) suggests it naive to believe forcing a Victorian team on Tasmania will never be accepted universally (or near as damn) by Tasmanians.
You seem to believe anything you want to be true is fact - have a look at reality, talk to those who have some experience, doesnt make it right, but sure beats an opinion that is self serving.

Note: dumped has been dumped, & you would not know dressed up so as not to offend. So precious, using political correctness to censor views that do not accord with your own.

You stop attacking people personally by claiming they are ignorant, and your posts will stop getting deleted.

I wonder if an AFL (preferably a Victorian club) could sign an agreement with the Tasmanian government to play 8 home games in Tasmania and 3 home games at the Etihad. Equally 11 home games.

However, the kicker would be getting a guaranteed 7 (away games) at the Etihad Stadium and then creating an away team membership at Etihad stadium.

That way, those fans have a membership to see 11 games in Melbourne every year and still get the financial gain of playing 8 games in Tasmania.

Leaving 4 games to be spread out between the other states. Sounds ideal ifyou can get in quick.

I think you might sweeten it further. Taking Hawthorn or North as potential examples
- play 8 games in Tassie. One against the other "Tassie" team (haw/ North), 5 against vic clubs who also constitute your fixture double up. 2 against interstate sides. Rationale - Tasmanian fans currently sick of seeing same interstate sides coming.
- 3 "home" games, one being a "blockbuster club" match up, 2 against interstate sides
- 7 away games against vic clubs (the 5 double ups and the other 2 sides you didn't play)
- 4 interstate games

Or you could offer even 3 interstate travel games if the 3 home games were all interstate games AND have a revenue sharing arrangement for the 5 of the 8 away games (play away against every vic club that's not north/ haw) with a corollary revenue share for the 5 vic club double ups.

If it was another vic club eg bulldogs
- 8 home in Tasmania - 1 interstate, 2 against both haw and north, 5 vic clubs (double up)
- 3 home games against interstate sides
- 7 away games against vic clubs with revenue sharing as above for the double up games
- 4 interstate games

Would require fixture manipulation - well that's not something that's entirely new to the afl isn't it... would the above be attractive? Probably would need to scrap the variable pricing ticketing if it was going to be hawthorn doing it (screws up all our replacement games)

Why on earth would Tasmania sponsor one team playing 4 games in Tasmania when they have one already playing 8 games across the state. Not only is it probably an over saturation of football in a declining market (population + corporate sponsorship wise) but it pretty much ensures that the club playing 4 games in the market will only jeopardise the 'authentic' Tasmanian club trying to capture the imagination of the Tasmanian public?

If the AFL is going to lobby for a team in Tasmania, Tasmania as a market needs one club to unify the state...

Another club, more players ... from where?

Both NSW & QLD are producing more AFL standard players than ever, a trend that could reasonably be expected to increase as participation rates continue to rise there.

Having a team here will also increase opportunities for young guys. An AFL team here will see its local players much more often. That team would also see new coaching, training & health & welfare ideas filter down to the local league. I've seen guys here who should have at least been rookied but they dont get seen enough by mainland clubs.
The potential growth of the player base is huge in West Sydney, & less so but good in GC, it would also have a benefit here. Remember that until the Roos played in Hobart we had NO AFL football down here for 10 years. I've heard discussion that that is a big part of the reason soccer has grown around Hobart but not up north. In the new state soccer league they have 5 south & 3 north teams. The strongest 3 teams are from Hobart. A lot of talented 190 cm kids have ended up in soccer.
That cannot be pure coincidence.

Having a team here will also increase opportunities for young guys. An AFL team here will see its local players much more often. That team would also see new coaching, training & health & welfare ideas filter down to the local league. I've seen guys here who should have at least been rookied but they dont get seen enough by mainland clubs.
The potential growth of the player base is huge in West Sydney, & less so but good in GC, it would also have a benefit here. Remember that until the Roos played in Hobart we had NO AFL football down here for 10 years. I've heard discussion that that is a big part of the reason soccer has grown around Hobart but not up north. In the new state soccer league they have 5 south & 3 north teams. The strongest 3 teams are from Hobart. A lot of talented 190 cm kids have ended up in soccer.

Could an A League team possibly survive in Hobart?

So with that being the case why would the AFL consider a Tassie team? If its going to be treated as a novelty second team why would the AFL bother considering it? If people aren't going to have it as a NUMBER 1 team why would the AFL bother?

First, a lot of people would drop their team to support it. I know Tasmanians who dropped their teams to support GC/GWS so the number of people that would drop their team to support Tasmania would increase heavily. Second, you'd be assured that a hefty majority of the state's kids would grow up supporting Tassie. It's about long term stability.

Seriously read the Thread most tassie posters outright state I want a team in my state but I wont support it as my number one team. those who fein support of it as a "second" team are full of s**t. The moment the team starts kicking your own teams arse you will throw your membership in the bin and wont buy anymore and those that want to see footy will grit their teeth and buy one anyway.

No basis whatsoever. If Tasmania starts kicking North's arse, good on them.

The A-League are sadly that kid who hops in the deep end of the pool too soon and almost drowns.

The A-League are sadly that kid who hops in the deep end of the pool too soon and almost drowns.

Yes, or the kid who thinks he can do the whole 50 metres but gets stuck 1/2 way.

I think after the NQ & GC failures they might now be a bit gun shy over expansion. West Sydney probably saved the whole league. Maybe only Wollongong is natural territory they may expand back into at some time.

Anyway WA3 & Tas1:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First, a lot of people would drop their team to support it. I know Tasmanians who dropped their teams to support GC/GWS so the number of people that would drop their team to support Tasmania would increase heavily. Second, you'd be assured that a hefty majority of the state's kids would grow up supporting Tassie. It's about long term stability.

And where are they? Everyone who stumps up to this thread has said nope I've gotta a team, but I know a friend of a friend. When people start to vocal stand up and say "yeah tassie would be my team I'll support them" instead of "there's plenty of other people just not me" then it might be listened to because the only ones that appear to want it won't follow it.

No basis whatsoever. If Tasmania starts kicking North's arse, good on them.
?? Its based on the fact this has happened in literally every state every time a "new team" comes to town, tassie won't be any different.

And where are they? Everyone who stumps up to this thread has said nope I've gotta a team, but I know a friend of a friend. When people start to vocal stand up and say "yeah tassie would be my team I'll support them" instead of "there's plenty of other people just not me" then it might be listened to because the only ones that appear to want it won't follow it.

This is bigfooty. Anyone that would admit to doing that will be summarily abused.

But I reckon that wouldn't be a problem. Most Tasmanians would have a lot more loyalty to Tasmania than some Melbourne suburb.

These clubs are long term investments. I'd bet a large wager than most of the kids growing up in Tasmania's initial years would follow it. As I said, I don't know heaps of people that would drop their club but I know enough that would support it as a second club t keep it afloat as much if not more than GC/GWS.

?? Its based on the fact this has happened in literally every state every time a "new team" comes to town, tassie won't be any different.

I'm not really following what you're saying. If Tasmania started dominating the other clubs, we'd probably be more inclined to follow it. The way I'm reading your post, it's almost as if you're assuming the state already has a club.

And where are they? Everyone who stumps up to this thread has said nope I've gotta a team, but I know a friend of a friend. When people start to vocal stand up and say "yeah tassie would be my team I'll support them" instead of "there's plenty of other people just not me" then it might be listened to because the only ones that appear to want it won't

Bullshit.

This is all based on opinions on a FOOTBALL forum. Dont be a fool.

BigFooty isnt exactly an accurate cross section of the football following public. Most posters here are pretty keen, its why we signed up and why we contribute.

Just one example close to home, my mum and my sister would buy a membership, they dont support anyone but they like footy and love Tassie. They def dont know what BigFooty is.

We're a pretty proud lot. Stop putting words in our mouth.

And I think that's fair. I'm keen to call out the AFL but you can't begrudge this stoic no. The calls for a Tasmanian team are mostly rooted in romance and entitlement.

The expansion into the northern suburbs essentially comes down to a wider net. They want to grow the sport for the commercial benefits. Don't the Suns and GWS pay for themselves with the increased TV rights? I know it's not a bottomless pit of money but it's not that expensive to run an AFL club, especially when you look at the facilities the Suns have (dongas for offices). A Tasmanian side that's solvency is totally hypothetical just isn't worth the risk of investment or the shame of a franchise failing and dying. I mean, come on, the benefits of an Apple Isle club is nothing: the Lions, Suns, Swans, and Giants offer the possibility of getting young kids into the game – worst case is some merch being sold, best is the talent pool gets deeper and a few more Careys, Kellys, Riewoldts, and Tiprats come through.

I still maintain the A-League should go down there. Most common people don't really have the classiest opinion on that competition; a lot of people think it's run by idiots and fractured federations with no money and organisation (and that's true) and no one is going to be further turned off by another A-League club folding. I have no idea how it'd be funded but if Tasmanians want live sport that's their best chance. That or get 35,000 people to buy Melbourne Demons memberships and try and vote for a relocation. A dark green yoke could look nice, or that ox red on a green jumper... apt nickname...

So, In all likelihood, no Tas team, ever (10 years of bugger all growth will make them too small a market).

No club will relocate to a weaker market, and (supposedly) Tas would reject any relocation.

In 10years+ the case for a Tas team will be so much weaker it just won't happen.

Go & Tell the new AFL CEO. He runs the show now, not you or me.

Ahh, but that's not my point. Get an A League team in, or even the hint of one, and watch the the AFL's attitude change.

The AFL would be ecstatic, 5 years of 2,500 crowds before the team dies under a mountain of its own debt, complete proof of the AFL's arguements. For 10 years they could point to the failed A-League team as a reason they can't go to Tassie. Just like they used to point at the failed NBL team until people forgot that the NBL ever existed.

The AFL would be ecstatic, 5 years of 2,500 crowds before the team dies under a mountain of its own debt, complete proof of the AFL's arguements. For 10 years they could point to the failed A-League team as a reason they can't go to Tassie. Just like they used to point at the failed NBL team until people forgot that the NBL ever existed.

The failed NBL team thing doesnt stop the AFL being played in Geelong, Gold Coast or in other places like Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane where other NBL teams failed, quite a few in fact!!!

Of course some people would ONLY look at the NBL in Tassie & forget the other obvious NBL failures, just to suit an anti Tasmanian football argument.

The Issue of AFL in Tassie is a completely different fish. Its really about the politics of Victorian football Versus a national AFL competition.

The strongest 3 teams are from Hobart. A lot of talented 190 cm kids have ended up in soccer.

Balderdash. There is barely a 190cm player in the A-league let alone a local comp. Soccer favours short, quick, agile players and barely competes at all with AFL for playing stocks. AFL loses its kids to basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back