Team for the rest of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the last outside chance of finals went out the door today, so what do you want to see the team look like for the rest of the season? I'd like to see a team built around this base:

B: Fletcher - Hurley - ???
HB: Hocking - Hooker - Dempsey
C: Stanton - Watson - Zaharakis
HF: Monfries - Gumbleton - Davey
F: Jetta - Neagle - ???
R: Ryder - Welsh - ???
I: Hille/Bellchambers - Winderlich - NLM - ???

With names like McVeigh, Reimers, Lonergan, Melksham, Howlett, Colyer, Dyson, Slattery, Slattery and Prismall filling up the remaining spots.

I also want to see a few players like Hardingham, Still and Marigliani all given a crack. Marigliani should be given a chance up forward to see if he can influence a game from there.

If we win the next 7 games, we can make the finals, can't we? ;)

Here's mine:

B: Fletcher - Hooker - Atkinson
HB: Hocking - T.Slattery - McVeigh
HF: Monfries - Gumbleton - Hurley
F: Jetta - Neagle - Reimers
R: Ryder - Melksham - Myers
I: Hille (if fit), Prismall, Dempsey, Winderlich/Davey

Regulars Out: Welsh, Lonergan
Waiting in the wings: Williams, Houli, Pears (if fit)

Notes
1. Plenty of rotations, particularly through midfield to keep fresh legs, as defensive pressure needs to be upped.
2. Dempsey goes to a wing, not as a defender
3. Zaka goes to the mid, rotates forward
4. Winderlich plays slightly less TOG. He is good when fresh in bursts, but doesn't have the tank to run out games ATM.

Try
1. When Hille rucks, try Ryder in the centre. His clearance work is actually pretty good and he's not easily moved off the ball. Don't rely on it though. Just do it occasionally to mix it up.
2. Drag players straight away for stupid discipline errors. Give them a spray.
3. Send some assistants down to the bench if needed. Get them working, get them thinking.
4. When Stanton has an inside-50 entry, make sure he knows to take that extra step to steady himself. Get the communication going. Let him know he has time to place the kick; put it high if necessary, and make sure the small forwards, including Reimers, are there for the spill.

Fletcher, McVeigh and Welsh should be told that we will be playing younger guys in your position and you need to make a decision on your career.

Hocking into the guts full time with Howlett.

Keep Bellchambers in the side when Hille comes back and play Ryder full time forward. Need to get games into him.

Just rotate the kids through and cop a fair few losses and hope to hell that another pick in the top ten lands a gun mid.

Marigliani hasn't done much at VFL level to deserve an upgrade. Wouldn't mind seeing J. Williams in a BP, but that's as much a chance of happening as making the finals. I'd like to see Myers play the remainder of the season in the senior side, he keeps getting dropped after a run of 2 or 3 games. Hardingham also deserves a chance.

Tyson Slattery to get a gig as well because he actually looked like he gave a **** last week.

Marigliani hasn't done much at VFL level to deserve an upgrade. Wouldn't mind seeing J. Williams in a BP, but that's as much a chance of happening as making the finals. I'd like to see Myers play the remainder of the season in the senior side, he keeps getting dropped after a run of 2 or 3 games. Hardingham also deserves a chance.

Tyson Slattery to get a gig as well because he actually looked like he gave a **** last week.

Cannot understand why Tyson didn't get a game this week. He is young, has showed something and is not injured. Play the kid ffs.

Neagle must play the rest of the season.

Hooker,Gumbelton, Ryder, Zaharkis, Hocking, Watson, Dempsey and Jetta must also stay in the team. We need to build our future aorund these guys.

I'd like to see T Slattery, Melksham, Myers and Colyer get more games also.

The rest I don;t care.

Cannot understand why Tyson didn't get a game this week. He is young, has showed something and is not injured. Play the kid ffs.

I assumed it was something to do with balance, but then I saw Welsh go to FB.

Baffling.:confused:

Well the last outside chance of finals went out the door today, so what do you want to see the team look like for the rest of the season? I'd like to see a team built around this base:

B: Fletcher - Hurley - ???
HB: Hocking - Hooker - Dempsey
F: Jetta - Neagle - ???
R: Ryder - Welsh - ???
I: Hille/Bellchambers - Winderlich - NLM - ???

With names like McVeigh, Reimers, Lonergan, Melksham, Howlett, Colyer, Dyson, Slattery, Slattery and Prismall filling up the remaining spots.

I also want to see a few players like Hardingham, Still and Marigliani all given a crack. Marigliani should be given a chance up forward to see if he can influence a game from there.

Add Reimers melk and howlett to your regulars and id be a happy man. Only 2 of Prismal,welsh and mcveigh in the team ever at same time IMO. Unless amazing form says otherwise

Here's mine:

B: Fletcher - Hooker - Atkinson
HB: Hocking - T.Slattery - McVeigh
F: Jetta - Neagle - Reimers
R: Ryder - Melksham - Myers
I: Hille (if fit), Prismall, Dempsey, Winderlich

Regulars Out: Welsh, Lonergan
Waiting in the wings: Williams, Houli, Pears (if fit)

WHAT NO HURLEY?

FB: Fletcher, Slattery, Mcveigh
HB: Dempsey, Hooker, Hocking
C: Melksham, Stanton, Zaharakis
HF: Monfries, Hurley, Gumbleton
FF: Davey, Neagle, Jetta
R: Ryder, Watson, Winderlich
Inter: Lonergan, Howlett, Myers, Hille

Emer: Colyer, Reimers, Atkinson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Fletcher, Hurley, McVeigh
HB: Hocking, Hooker, Atkinson
C: Prismall, Watson, Stanton
HF: Monfries, Gumbleton, Zaharakis
FF: Hille, Neagle, Davey

R: Ryder, Winderlich, Melksham
INT (from): Welsh, Dempsey, Houli, Dyson, Jetta, Lonergan, Myers, Reimers, Coyler

I don't think that H.Slattery will be around for the next premiership and doesn't add experience to the team, in terms of teaching the young players that Fletch, McVeigh and even Welsh do. NLM I think doesn't add enough to our team, will be 28 by season's end. If he was a better player, he should be played, but I really think that he should step down for the rest of the year to give the young guys more of a go.

Mark Williams should have some surgery and get himself right for next year. If he can give us something in his final year of his contract that would be great. If not, then, I spose it didn't work out.

I would like to see the following:

1. Zaharakis to play in the midfield.

2. Hocking to play in the midfield.

3. Gumby, hurley & neagle to play in the same side every week.

4. Players committ to each other.

Fletcher, McVeigh and Welsh should be told that we will be playing younger guys in your position and you need to make a decision on your career.

McVeigh and Welsh perhaps, but do nothing of the sort to Fletcher.
You don't do that to an absolute champion regardless, let alone one still playing extremely well.

McVeigh and Welsh perhaps, but do nothing of the sort to Fletcher.
You don't do that to an absolute champion regardless, let alone one still playing extremely well.

It was done to Lloyd.

We need to make a decision on who will be part of the next premiership team. Fletch wont and as much as I love him (second best player behind Hird for me) he won't be there.

Time to give Hooker, Hurley, T Slattery some time in the back together to gel. Maybe even Darcy if he can get over his injuries.

Fletch to have a send off game against Carlton at the G.

Mark Williams should have some surgery and get himself right for next year. If he can give us something in his final year of his contract that would be great. If not, then, I spose it didn't work out.

Hehe it's a shame we gave him 3 years :D

I'd personally like the see the following:

- Hurley left in the same position for the remainder of the season
- Neagle left in the side at FF for the remainder of the season
- Gumbleton played for the remainder of the season
- Myers played in the midfield for the remainder of the season
- Zaharakis and Reimers to play the same role and rotate through HFF and midfield
- Lonergan either played as a midfielder or not at all
- Dyson dropped
- Stanton either played in the midfield or sent for surgery (he is 70% fit at best)
- Pears not played until 2011
- Melksham and Colyer rotated through to get games
- Prismall left in the side for the remainder of the season
- One more win for the season (against Carlton)

B fletch hurley mcveigh
hb stanton hooker myers
c melksham watson zaka
hf gumby ryder gus
f reimers neagle davey
r hille hocking windy
inter jetta colyer dempsy nat rat

i agree with the other posts about mcveigh/welsh not fletch we need him to stay on
give stanton a run at half back he's carry could be handy if injured get the opp now
leave some of these blokes in one spot and give them whats left to impress leave melky and colyer in for the year to get games in and maybe give the rest of the first year players games aswell

Hehe it's a shame we gave him 3 years :D

I am aware we gave him 3 years. What I was trying to say was that it is in his 3rd year that he will be important to us. I still firmly believe that in 2012 we will be quite threatening and pushing up to the top 4, and if he is able to get his body right, play some good football next year and be ripe for 2012, it would be ideal.

It was done to Lloyd.
Fletch to have a send off game against Carlton at the G.

I would argue quite strongly that the football Fletch has played this year is twice as good as what Lloyd gave us in the twilight of his.

Why would we place Zaka in the midfield when he is our leading goalkicker.

Sure, he has the attributes of a midfielder, but we're not going to win any more games without noone capable to replace him in the forward line.

Hardingham HAS to be played..

T.Slattery HAS to be played..

Might as well play Houli and Myers to see how much trade value we can get into them, add Prismall to that list??

Elevate Marigliani and Crameri and see if they can even add anything to the seniors, otherwise delist them come years end as we need to develop kids (or better mature aged players) to take us up the ladder.

Why would we place Zaka in the midfield when he is our leading goalkicker.

Sure, he has the attributes of a midfielder, but we're not going to win any more games without noone capable to replace him in the forward line.

We need players who are capable of delivering the ball inside 50 with precision and poise..

Get a quality kick to an average player, or an average kick to a quality player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back