Son of Superboot

Boot studder
Sep 7, 2021
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Raith Rovers FC
Not sure if this has been covered before. I noticed there was a Lions team of the decade covering the first ten year since the merger. Here is my take on the second decade, 2007-2016. Obviously, these were some lean times.

BacksC StillerD MerrettM Maguire
Half- BacksD RichJ PatfullJ Adcock
MidfieldersP HanleyT RockliffJ Redden
Half-ForwardsJ GreenM ClarkJ Drummond
ForwardsA McGrathJ Brown ©J Polkinghorne
FollowersM LeuenbergerS BlackD Zorko
InterchangeB StakerA RainesR HarwoodR Bewick
CoachM Voss

Not sure if this has been covered before. I noticed there was a Lions team of the decade covering the first ten year since the merger. Here is my take on the second decade, 2007-2016. Obviously, these were some lean times.

CoachM Voss
I know he only played for 3 years of this period but Tim Notting finished top 3 in our BnF in 2007 and possibly 2008 as well? Has to be in over guys like Raines and Harwood in my opinion.

Lester in for Harwood
Don't know how I missed that one. I think he starts on the ground and Stiller can go to the bench

BacksR LesterD MerrettM Maguire
InterchangeB StakerA RainesC StillerR Bewick
CoachM Voss

Last edited:
Horrid decade for us, there is an article on afl.com today about the Eagles, they have won 3 of their last 36 matches with a percentage of 59.5%

Are the Eagles of now worse than we were at our worst in the 2007-16 era?

ForwardsA McGrathJ Brown J Polkinghorne
CoachM Voss

Is this meant to be a fun exercise because I’m gonna be honest I’m not having much fun reading that list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't know how I missed that one. I think he starts on the ground and Stiller can go to the bench

BacksR LesterD MerrettM Maguire
ForwardsA McGrathJ Brown J Polkinghorne
InterchangeB StakerA RainesC StillerR Bewick
CoachM Voss

I’d go Martin and his five years with a BnF over Luey.

Horrid decade for us, there is an article on afl.com today about the Eagles, they have won 3 of their last 36 matches with a percentage of 59.5%

Are the Eagles of now worse than we were at our worst in the 2007-16 era?
I keep seeing the media quote them as the being worse than Fitzroy was in 95-96. Not wanting to go over history, think there a lot differences.

Is this meant to be a fun exercise because I’m gonna be honest I’m not having much fun reading that list.

Sometimes you've got to have the bad before you get the good. I'm sure some of us wonder what would of happened if we didn't have have the go home 5, but how many of them really flourished (Docherty and Yeo)? And if we did keep all or some of them, I don't think we would be where we are today.

Sometimes you've got to have the bad before you get the good. I'm sure some of us wonder what would of happened if we didn't have have the go home 5, but how many of them really flourished (Docherty and Yeo)? And if we did keep all or some of them, I don't think we would be where we are today.

Oh yeah I get it 100%. Was just making a joke about the absolute state of the team if some of those players made the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CoachM Voss
don't think Rich even played HBF in that time period. Does it matter? idk just thought I'd raise it.

Chris Scott.

Wow, that is a team that on paper, looks decent. But is was only even garbage when it played on the field. Those names are some of the reasons I have PTSD about our team never winning games.

I should say specifically the midfield I mean here. Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Hanley, Zorko, every year I thought they would come good!

Someone on Reddit is doing a "Brisbane Lions nostalgic player of the week", and it's basically a who's who of 2006-2018 players. I can't say that any of the names really make me feel nostalgic, but more somewhere between PTSD and physically ill - much like the team sheet at the top here.

I think I'd still have Luke Power in the team despite him leaving in about the midpoint of the decade.

I think it was more the general "vibe " at the time.We lost a couple of great players but it felt like the whole club was crashing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back