Review Tempest's player review & ratings - R14 Magpies vs Hawks, Umps & Bruce McAvaney

Remove this Banner Ad

What a disappointing loss, we could have won that easily if we kicked straight.
It's hit me hard, however the show must go on.

My best 5:

- 5 points: Pendlebury
- 4 points: Williams
- 3 points: Sidebottom
- 2 points: Crisp
- 1 point: Witts

My worst 5:

- minus 5 points: Toovey
- minus 4 points: Elliott
- minus 3 points: Oxley
- minus 2 points: Frost
- minus 1 point: Moore

Individual player reviews:
#13 Taylor Adams:

24 possessions - 10 kicks - 14 handballs - 3 marks - 7 tackles - Score 1.0 - 75% Disposal Efficiency.
Great game tonight from the "bull" - I loved reading the article about him in the Herald Sun today and he's gonna be a superstar isn't he? I can't quite put my finger on what he really needs to take his game to the next level, possibly just a few more possessions here and there would help him stand out to the media. He really stood up when the game heated up and gave us that Luke Ball-like in and under work in the midfield. 11 of his 24 possessions were contested which is almost half. That's huge! AND he also had 9 clearances, second to only Pendlebury. No wonder why he's called the Bull. - Rating B+

#11 Jarryd Blair:
8 possessions - 2 kicks - 6 handballs - 0 marks - 1 tackle - Score 1.0 - 100% Disposal Efficiency.
Came on as the sub and gave us some much needed run & carry and looked fired up. I'd like to see him be the sub more often if this will be the case. He only achieved 10 possessions last week from a full match and managed 8 as the sub playing one quarter tonight. He really tried to lift our midfield in the last quarter and I think it was a really superb effort for the wee man. Super sub? Yes I think so. - Rating B

#29 Tim Broomhead:
17 possessions - 5 kicks - 12 handballs - 1 mark - 4 tackles - Score 1.1 - 76% Disposal Efficiency
I'll quote what I said last week - "Had a massive first half and then seemed to drop off in output a bit" - It seemed to be the case tonight as well. He had 8 disposals in the first quarter I believe? He came out firing and kicked a classy goal and then seemed to taper off. Definitely doesn't have the tank right now but I think next year he'll be a 20+ possession a game player. He's so classy in front of goal, going to be really dangerous when he learns to find the pill a bit more. - Rating C+

#16 Nathan Brown:

14 possessions - 6 kicks - 8 handballs - 3 marks - 4 tackles - Opponent's Score 0.2 - 78% Disposal Efficiency
One of his best games for the year in my opinion, Had the resting ruck in Hale most of the night and used his speed advantage well by competing hard at the contest and offering rebound out of our defensive 50. Was definitely our best Tall Defender tonight, he was at every contest doing his best work to get the ball away from the Hawthorn forwards. Inspiring game from Browny! - Rating B

#32 Travis Cloke:
20 possessions - 16 kicks - 4 handballs - 11 marks - 0 tackles - Score 1.4 - 55% Disposal Efficiency
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH Travis Cloke. Where do I start? He's an absolute monster, a Physical anomaly, and yet he can't kick a goal to save his life!! Was the general up forward tonight with some amazing grabs and seemed to push every defender that came near him aside, yet he couldn't convert. A few straight kicks from him would have made him 3.2 and would have easily won us the match. Sure he pulled a goal out of his ass which gave us momentum, but he just as easily took it back with the easy ones he missed. He's definitely our most influential player and yet our most frustrating too, I can't disregard how hard he battled tonight and for that he get's a: - Rating B+

#25 Jack Crisp:
28 possessions - 19 kicks - 9 handballs - 5 marks - 7 tackles - Score 1.1 - 67% Disposal Efficiency
Ran off Mitchell and didn't do much to nullify the Champion that Sam Mitchell is however played a blinder of his own and came out even I think. He seems good for about a goal a game this season which is good to have in a midfielder and is making me think why Brisbane got rid of him so easily. I thought he was quiet early and then seemed to get better as the game went on. - Rating B+

#35 Jordan De Goey
18 possessions - 5 kicks - 13 handballs - 3 mark - 5 tackles - Score 1.1 - 72% Disposal Efficiency
The best game I have seen this kid play. He seems to be getting better every week when my expectation was for him to fade. He kicked the first goal for us and did some amazing things all night. He's definitely going to be a 200+ game player for us. - Rating B

#5 Jamie Elliott

10 possessions - 5 kicks - 5 handballs - 2 marks - 3 tackles - Score 0.0 - 80% Disposal Efficiency
Not good enough tonight from what should be our premier small forward and like I said last week he seems to be able to beat up the bad sides but seems very uneasy when under pressure, I failed to see him do much except for almost take mark of the year. Was he being tagged? I don't think so. Definitely copped a bit from Bucks at the interchange bench during the 4th quarter. I think Bucks was just quietly saying without getting too mad "Just try to get in the game, we need you!" however he failed to deliver. He needs to at least kick one goal when playing as a forward, and not even that impressive attempt at a mark is going to help the rating i'm about to give him... Possibly a spell in the VFL might be needed? He could be in a bit of strife for that Mitchell hit. 1 week maybe? We have Karnezis and Kennedy which could be no worse than what he gave us tonight. - Rating D

#1 Alex Fasolo

18 possessions - 10 kicks - 8 handballs - 5 marks - 2 tackles - Score 1.3 - 77% Disposal Efficiency
He was very quiet until the last half which is when he came alive. I don't know what happened to his accuracy tonight, however the whole team seemed to be a bit off with their kicking at goal. I would usually refer to Fasolo as being our most accurate kick in the side, and at some points he's struck me as Didak-Like but tonight was an exception and a few of them went wayward. Oh and did I mention he had 11 contested possessions? I thought Fasolo was supposed to be a weak player who doesn't like the contest! It was a good game for Fasolo and by game I mean second half. - Rating B

#45 Jack Frost

6 possessions - 2 kicks - 4 handballs - 1 marks - 4 tackles - Opponent's Score 1.0 - 100% Disposal Efficiency
Didn't really let Schoenmakers do much, but in the end... It's Schoenmakers! Has he ever been a good forward, let alone a good anything? Frost made a few critical skill errors tonight and I almost threw something at the TV when I saw him a few metres in front of his man at the time (Can't remember who it was). He can definitely do better than what he provided tonight as I thought he was in the wrong place at the wrong time a few times. - Rating C

#8 Tom Langdon

20 possessions - 10 kicks - 10 handballs - 5 marks - 3 tackles - Opponent's Score 2.4 - 75% Disposal Efficiency
The Langdon of last year? Probably not yet. His best game for us this year? Yep. Definitely! I think he was on Gunston for most of the night, and even though Gunston's accuracy flattered Langdon a bit, let's admit it, Gunston is a gun. (haha get it? Gunston... Gun? Alright I'll stop...) - Tom Langdon did a lot of things right tonight, including that courageous effort in the first minutes of the game which SHOULD have been paid a mark... he never lost his cool during a 1 on 1, and took some impressive intercept marks. I think he was our second best defensive rebounder behind Williams. A cool, calm, and collected effort from such a young player. - Rating B

#37 Brayden Maynard

11 possessions - 7 kicks - 4 handballs - 2 marks - 6 tackles - Score 0.0 - 72% Disposal Efficiency
Serviceable in his first game which ended up being such a high pressure game. Found himself right in the thick of a defence that was under attack for a lot of the game, and more than likely came out of it a much more experienced player. I didn't see much of Brayden, but that only means that he didn't do too much wrong. He gets a shot next week I reckon. - Rating C+

#30 Darcy Moore

4 possessions - 2 kicks - 2 handballs - 1 mark - 0 tackles - Score 0.1 - 50% Disposal Efficiency
I'm probably being a bit harsh on him by giving him the -1 but it just wasn't the right game to debut him in! Too intense for him to find his feet and you could see he wanted to get into it but his eyes just weren't focused enough. Loved when he went back with pure courage and fought for the ball during that play in the last, however it was a poor decision from the selection committee to pick him in this game. If you want to debut him, you do it in a few weeks time against the Bulldogs, not against the Hawks in which you know will be one of the most intense games of the season. - Rating C

#43 Adam Oxley
15 possessions - 6 kicks - 9 handballs - 2 marks - 3 tackles - Score 0.1 - 80% Disposal Efficiency
Hasn't been the best the last few weeks due to the contested nature of these games we've been having, he hasn't been able to play the spare man well and I think it may be time for a rest for Scharenberg to debut? The contested game does not suit him and I love seeing him as the spare man but only when he's able to cut it off effectively. The Ox is slow and tonight's game may have been too fast for him - Rating D+

#10 Scott Pendlebury

37 possessions - 18 kicks - 19 handballs - 6 marks - 10 tackles - Score 0.0 - 73% Disposal Efficiency
BOY OH BOY WOWWWEEEEEEE, I'm so happy Pendles is my SuperCoach vice captain, I'm taking the captain off Fyfe this week and using Pendles, I don't even care if Fyfe ends up having a blinder, Pendlebury's superb effort tonight stunned me as I thought he was injured last week. Either he's half machine and Buckley rebuilt him or he has just been saving all his energy for this game. Either way he did an amazing job tonight and almost single handedly got us over the line. What a Champion! He had a massive 20 contested possessions and game high 10 clearances, he never, NEVER, NEVER! looked stressed at all when up close and his influence was massive around the ball. - Rating A+

#22 Steele Sidebottom

30 possessions - 14 kicks - 16 handballs - 6 marks - 4 tackles - Score 0.1 - 76% Disposal Efficiency
What has happened to Sidey lately? He doesn't seem the same since coming back from injury... Yeah that's what I said last week. But tonight he really let the shackles off and seemed to be everywhere again like his usual self. He swept up in defence, played in&under midfield, and provided a good link-up option in the forward line. Sidey's back! - Rating A

#36 Dane Swan

19 possessions - 11 kicks - 8 handballs - 5 marks - 2 tackles - Score 2.1 - 63% Disposal Efficiency
Played predominantly forward tonight, and I think that's because he's lost a lot of his explosive speed, but his skill is still there and he was more than serviceable for us tonight. Loved his 2 goals which really helped our momentum, and still looks to be a great on field leader. How long can he keep this up for? I truly hope it's for a couple more years. - Rating B

#34 Alan Toovey

6 possessions - 3 kicks - 3 handballs - 1 mark - 4 tackles - Opponent's Score 5.0 - 33% Disposal Efficiency
NOT.GOOD.ENOUGH Tonight.
I thought he was at least serviceable last week, but he was pathetic tonight. Only ran at 33% disposal efficiency and really let Rioli off the hook. Battled hard during the 1 on 1's like he always does, but it's no consolidation when your opponent kicks 5 goals on you. Needs to either pledge to bounce back or be dropped. It's just not acceptable, if Rioli was locked down better we would have won. With most of the bigfooty community lauding his last two performances, surely it's time for a spell? Sinclair could be no worse. - Rating D-

#26 Marley Williams

27 possessions - 16 kicks - 11 handballs - 5 marks - 2 tackles - Opponent's Score 3.0 - Score 1.0 - 77% Disposal Efficiency
Can you say "All Australian?" Marley? I sure can. What a wonderful game he played tonight which backs up his great performance last week. He just provides SO MUCH REBOUND to our backline we would have been lost without him tonight. Most of his 27 possessions were in Defence and a lot of them were contested. I loved his goal too which came out of nowhere. - Rating A

#15 Jarrod Witts

14 possessions - 6 kicks - 8 handballs - 2 marks - 6 tackles - Score 0.0 - 36 Hitouts - 25 Opponent hitouts - 57% Disposal Efficiency
He didn't have Sandilands to deal with, so he absolutely monstered Hale and Ceglar tonight, I thought it was the best game I've seen him play in black and white, because he did great at ground level like he usually does, but also did well in the air by winning the hitouts and taking a few crucial marks. I'd still like to see him make more of an impact up forward but I liked what I saw tonight, he was the dominant ruckman and hopefully with Grundy back in the team we can win the hitouts count as a team more often. - Rating B

#9 Jesse White

14 possessions - 11 kicks - 3 handballs - 6 marks - 1 tackle - Score 2.2 - 10 Hitouts - 50% Disposal Efficiency
As much as people won't agree with me when I say this, I don't think he was that bad tonight. He played his role well, battled manfully up forward and in the ruck, providing a contest in both positions, and kicked one more goal than Cloke. Yes, the one he missed in the 4th, just like last week, proves he is mentally weak. You could even see him mutter words to himself after that miss. But do we have a better option? No. Is Jesse serviceable at what he does? Yes. I still don't think we'll win a flag while he's in the side, but that's something for us to worry about next year. He was good for us tonight structurally without being a standout - Rating C+

#18 Travis Varcoe

21 possessions - 12 kicks - 9 handballs - 8 marks - 1 tackle - Opponent's Score 0.0 - Score 0.1 - 66% Disposal Efficiency
His report will get thrown out, I'll be VERY surprised if it isn't. He didn't stand out as much as last week, but was still pretty great. I had him down as our 6th best player tonight and if he keeps this up you'd think He's definitely in the top 5 for the Copeland wouldn't you? Provided some great rebound from defence and some awesome intercept marks which just killed the momentum for the Hawks. Is having a career best season and I don't mind that at all!! - Rating B

AS A TEAM:
Once again an honorable loss, I let out a little bit of a weep at the end, 19 behinds from us was just deplorable and disgusting, however it reminds me of 2009/2010 so much!
We're not far off the pace pies fans, the fact that we brought it right up to reigning premiers this week and the team that was on the top of the ladder last week shows that we have the desire to win the flag but just not the skills or execution yet. It will come in due time and it's definitely not far.

Our midfield, as well as Witts, was SMASHED early however we managed to come back from that to eventually win the midfield battle. Yep, we won the contested possessions and clearances overall against one of the best midfields in the comp! COP THAT!
Witts was great in the ruck and we only lost the hitouts as a team by 2 hitouts, not bad with a part time ruck such as Jesse White in there for about 20% of the game.

Our forward line structure was great tonight, and if it wasn't for terrible accuracy from a few of our 'star' forwards *cough* Cloke, White, Fasolo *cough* we would have s**t on the Hawks tonight. So frustrating yet so intriguing to see where we build from here.

Our defence I will put down as "OK". The Hawks definitely played "chinese checkers" as the media likes to call it, with us again tonight, but we had more intensity so we limited their effectiveness in doing so. The fact that their small forwards in Breust, Rioli and Gunston got off the hook was a real worry for me. Perhaps it's time to debut Scharenberg?

It's a frustrating time to be a pies fan, but also an exciting one.
Good work:)Agree with most of your points and thorougly enjoyed the read so wont nitpick at the points i disagree with.By most accounts,schazza isnt anywhere NEAR ready for Afl.Last two weeks weve been beaten by walters and now rioli.Sinclair is the man for that job and he made a successful return to vfl last week.

P.s One fault i'll point out,how could you leave us hangin after pure lyrical comedic genious with your "gunston is a gun" line?ENCORE!!!!!:D

Last edited:
What a disappointing loss, we could have won that easily if we kicked straight.
It's hit me hard, however the show must go on.

My best 5:

- 5 points: Pendlebury
- 4 points: Williams
- 3 points: Sidebottom
- 2 points: Crisp
- 1 point: Witts

My worst 5:

- minus 5 points: Toovey
- minus 4 points: Elliott
- minus 3 points: Oxley
- minus 2 points: Frost
- minus 1 point: Moore

Individual player reviews:
#13 Taylor Adams:

24 possessions - 10 kicks - 14 handballs - 3 marks - 7 tackles - Score 1.0 - 75% Disposal Efficiency.
Great game tonight from the "bull" - I loved reading the article about him in the Herald Sun today and he's gonna be a superstar isn't he? I can't quite put my finger on what he really needs to take his game to the next level, possibly just a few more possessions here and there would help him stand out to the media. He really stood up when the game heated up and gave us that Luke Ball-like in and under work in the midfield. 11 of his 24 possessions were contested which is almost half. That's huge! AND he also had 9 clearances, second to only Pendlebury. No wonder why he's called the Bull. - Rating B+

#11 Jarryd Blair:
8 possessions - 2 kicks - 6 handballs - 0 marks - 1 tackle - Score 1.0 - 100% Disposal Efficiency.
Came on as the sub and gave us some much needed run & carry and looked fired up. I'd like to see him be the sub more often if this will be the case. He only achieved 10 possessions last week from a full match and managed 8 as the sub playing one quarter tonight. He really tried to lift our midfield in the last quarter and I think it was a really superb effort for the wee man. Super sub? Yes I think so. - Rating B

#29 Tim Broomhead:
17 possessions - 5 kicks - 12 handballs - 1 mark - 4 tackles - Score 1.1 - 76% Disposal Efficiency
I'll quote what I said last week - "Had a massive first half and then seemed to drop off in output a bit" - It seemed to be the case tonight as well. He had 8 disposals in the first quarter I believe? He came out firing and kicked a classy goal and then seemed to taper off. Definitely doesn't have the tank right now but I think next year he'll be a 20+ possession a game player. He's so classy in front of goal, going to be really dangerous when he learns to find the pill a bit more. - Rating C+

#16 Nathan Brown:

14 possessions - 6 kicks - 8 handballs - 3 marks - 4 tackles - Opponent's Score 0.2 - 78% Disposal Efficiency
One of his best games for the year in my opinion, Had the resting ruck in Hale most of the night and used his speed advantage well by competing hard at the contest and offering rebound out of our defensive 50. Was definitely our best Tall Defender tonight, he was at every contest doing his best work to get the ball away from the Hawthorn forwards. Inspiring game from Browny! - Rating B

#32 Travis Cloke:
20 possessions - 16 kicks - 4 handballs - 11 marks - 0 tackles - Score 1.4 - 55% Disposal Efficiency
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH Travis Cloke. Where do I start? He's an absolute monster, a Physical anomaly, and yet he can't kick a goal to save his life!! Was the general up forward tonight with some amazing grabs and seemed to push every defender that came near him aside, yet he couldn't convert. A few straight kicks from him would have made him 3.2 and would have easily won us the match. Sure he pulled a goal out of his ass which gave us momentum, but he just as easily took it back with the easy ones he missed. He's definitely our most influential player and yet our most frustrating too, I can't disregard how hard he battled tonight and for that he get's a: - Rating B+

#25 Jack Crisp:
28 possessions - 19 kicks - 9 handballs - 5 marks - 7 tackles - Score 1.1 - 67% Disposal Efficiency
Ran off Mitchell and didn't do much to nullify the Champion that Sam Mitchell is however played a blinder of his own and came out even I think. He seems good for about a goal a game this season which is good to have in a midfielder and is making me think why Brisbane got rid of him so easily. I thought he was quiet early and then seemed to get better as the game went on. - Rating B+

#35 Jordan De Goey
18 possessions - 5 kicks - 13 handballs - 3 mark - 5 tackles - Score 1.1 - 72% Disposal Efficiency
The best game I have seen this kid play. He seems to be getting better every week when my expectation was for him to fade. He kicked the first goal for us and did some amazing things all night. He's definitely going to be a 200+ game player for us. - Rating B

#5 Jamie Elliott

10 possessions - 5 kicks - 5 handballs - 2 marks - 3 tackles - Score 0.0 - 80% Disposal Efficiency
Not good enough tonight from what should be our premier small forward and like I said last week he seems to be able to beat up the bad sides but seems very uneasy when under pressure, I failed to see him do much except for almost take mark of the year. Was he being tagged? I don't think so. Definitely copped a bit from Bucks at the interchange bench during the 4th quarter. I think Bucks was just quietly saying without getting too mad "Just try to get in the game, we need you!" however he failed to deliver. He needs to at least kick one goal when playing as a forward, and not even that impressive attempt at a mark is going to help the rating i'm about to give him... Possibly a spell in the VFL might be needed? He could be in a bit of strife for that Mitchell hit. 1 week maybe? We have Karnezis and Kennedy which could be no worse than what he gave us tonight. - Rating D

#1 Alex Fasolo

18 possessions - 10 kicks - 8 handballs - 5 marks - 2 tackles - Score 1.3 - 77% Disposal Efficiency
He was very quiet until the last half which is when he came alive. I don't know what happened to his accuracy tonight, however the whole team seemed to be a bit off with their kicking at goal. I would usually refer to Fasolo as being our most accurate kick in the side, and at some points he's struck me as Didak-Like but tonight was an exception and a few of them went wayward. Oh and did I mention he had 11 contested possessions? I thought Fasolo was supposed to be a weak player who doesn't like the contest! It was a good game for Fasolo and by game I mean second half. - Rating B

#45 Jack Frost

6 possessions - 2 kicks - 4 handballs - 1 marks - 4 tackles - Opponent's Score 1.0 - 100% Disposal Efficiency
Didn't really let Schoenmakers do much, but in the end... It's Schoenmakers! Has he ever been a good forward, let alone a good anything? Frost made a few critical skill errors tonight and I almost threw something at the TV when I saw him a few metres in front of his man at the time (Can't remember who it was). He can definitely do better than what he provided tonight as I thought he was in the wrong place at the wrong time a few times. - Rating C

#8 Tom Langdon

20 possessions - 10 kicks - 10 handballs - 5 marks - 3 tackles - Opponent's Score 2.4 - 75% Disposal Efficiency
The Langdon of last year? Probably not yet. His best game for us this year? Yep. Definitely! I think he was on Gunston for most of the night, and even though Gunston's accuracy flattered Langdon a bit, let's admit it, Gunston is a gun. (haha get it? Gunston... Gun? Alright I'll stop...) - Tom Langdon did a lot of things right tonight, including that courageous effort in the first minutes of the game which SHOULD have been paid a mark... he never lost his cool during a 1 on 1, and took some impressive intercept marks. I think he was our second best defensive rebounder behind Williams. A cool, calm, and collected effort from such a young player. - Rating B

#37 Brayden Maynard

11 possessions - 7 kicks - 4 handballs - 2 marks - 6 tackles - Score 0.0 - 72% Disposal Efficiency
Serviceable in his first game which ended up being such a high pressure game. Found himself right in the thick of a defence that was under attack for a lot of the game, and more than likely came out of it a much more experienced player. I didn't see much of Brayden, but that only means that he didn't do too much wrong. He gets a shot next week I reckon. - Rating C+

#30 Darcy Moore

4 possessions - 2 kicks - 2 handballs - 1 mark - 0 tackles - Score 0.1 - 50% Disposal Efficiency
I'm probably being a bit harsh on him by giving him the -1 but it just wasn't the right game to debut him in! Too intense for him to find his feet and you could see he wanted to get into it but his eyes just weren't focused enough. Loved when he went back with pure courage and fought for the ball during that play in the last, however it was a poor decision from the selection committee to pick him in this game. If you want to debut him, you do it in a few weeks time against the Bulldogs, not against the Hawks in which you know will be one of the most intense games of the season. - Rating C

#43 Adam Oxley
15 possessions - 6 kicks - 9 handballs - 2 marks - 3 tackles - Score 0.1 - 80% Disposal Efficiency
Hasn't been the best the last few weeks due to the contested nature of these games we've been having, he hasn't been able to play the spare man well and I think it may be time for a rest for Scharenberg to debut? The contested game does not suit him and I love seeing him as the spare man but only when he's able to cut it off effectively. The Ox is slow and tonight's game may have been too fast for him - Rating D+

#10 Scott Pendlebury

37 possessions - 18 kicks - 19 handballs - 6 marks - 10 tackles - Score 0.0 - 73% Disposal Efficiency
BOY OH BOY WOWWWEEEEEEE, I'm so happy Pendles is my SuperCoach vice captain, I'm taking the captain off Fyfe this week and using Pendles, I don't even care if Fyfe ends up having a blinder, Pendlebury's superb effort tonight stunned me as I thought he was injured last week. Either he's half machine and Buckley rebuilt him or he has just been saving all his energy for this game. Either way he did an amazing job tonight and almost single handedly got us over the line. What a Champion! He had a massive 20 contested possessions and game high 10 clearances, he never, NEVER, NEVER! looked stressed at all when up close and his influence was massive around the ball. - Rating A+

#22 Steele Sidebottom

30 possessions - 14 kicks - 16 handballs - 6 marks - 4 tackles - Score 0.1 - 76% Disposal Efficiency
What has happened to Sidey lately? He doesn't seem the same since coming back from injury... Yeah that's what I said last week. But tonight he really let the shackles off and seemed to be everywhere again like his usual self. He swept up in defence, played in&under midfield, and provided a good link-up option in the forward line. Sidey's back! - Rating A

#36 Dane Swan

19 possessions - 11 kicks - 8 handballs - 5 marks - 2 tackles - Score 2.1 - 63% Disposal Efficiency
Played predominantly forward tonight, and I think that's because he's lost a lot of his explosive speed, but his skill is still there and he was more than serviceable for us tonight. Loved his 2 goals which really helped our momentum, and still looks to be a great on field leader. How long can he keep this up for? I truly hope it's for a couple more years. - Rating B

#34 Alan Toovey

6 possessions - 3 kicks - 3 handballs - 1 mark - 4 tackles - Opponent's Score 5.0 - 33% Disposal Efficiency
NOT.GOOD.ENOUGH Tonight.
I thought he was at least serviceable last week, but he was pathetic tonight. Only ran at 33% disposal efficiency and really let Rioli off the hook. Battled hard during the 1 on 1's like he always does, but it's no consolidation when your opponent kicks 5 goals on you. Needs to either pledge to bounce back or be dropped. It's just not acceptable, if Rioli was locked down better we would have won. With most of the bigfooty community lauding his last two performances, surely it's time for a spell? Sinclair could be no worse. - Rating D-

#26 Marley Williams

27 possessions - 16 kicks - 11 handballs - 5 marks - 2 tackles - Opponent's Score 3.0 - Score 1.0 - 77% Disposal Efficiency
Can you say "All Australian?" Marley? I sure can. What a wonderful game he played tonight which backs up his great performance last week. He just provides SO MUCH REBOUND to our backline we would have been lost without him tonight. Most of his 27 possessions were in Defence and a lot of them were contested. I loved his goal too which came out of nowhere. - Rating A

#15 Jarrod Witts

14 possessions - 6 kicks - 8 handballs - 2 marks - 6 tackles - Score 0.0 - 36 Hitouts - 25 Opponent hitouts - 57% Disposal Efficiency
He didn't have Sandilands to deal with, so he absolutely monstered Hale and Ceglar tonight, I thought it was the best game I've seen him play in black and white, because he did great at ground level like he usually does, but also did well in the air by winning the hitouts and taking a few crucial marks. I'd still like to see him make more of an impact up forward but I liked what I saw tonight, he was the dominant ruckman and hopefully with Grundy back in the team we can win the hitouts count as a team more often. - Rating B

#9 Jesse White

14 possessions - 11 kicks - 3 handballs - 6 marks - 1 tackle - Score 2.2 - 10 Hitouts - 50% Disposal Efficiency
As much as people won't agree with me when I say this, I don't think he was that bad tonight. He played his role well, battled manfully up forward and in the ruck, providing a contest in both positions, and kicked one more goal than Cloke. Yes, the one he missed in the 4th, just like last week, proves he is mentally weak. You could even see him mutter words to himself after that miss. But do we have a better option? No. Is Jesse serviceable at what he does? Yes. I still don't think we'll win a flag while he's in the side, but that's something for us to worry about next year. He was good for us tonight structurally without being a standout - Rating C+

#18 Travis Varcoe

21 possessions - 12 kicks - 9 handballs - 8 marks - 1 tackle - Opponent's Score 0.0 - Score 0.1 - 66% Disposal Efficiency
His report will get thrown out, I'll be VERY surprised if it isn't. He didn't stand out as much as last week, but was still pretty great. I had him down as our 6th best player tonight and if he keeps this up you'd think He's definitely in the top 5 for the Copeland wouldn't you? Provided some great rebound from defence and some awesome intercept marks which just killed the momentum for the Hawks. Is having a career best season and I don't mind that at all!! - Rating B

AS A TEAM:
Once again an honorable loss, I let out a little bit of a weep at the end, 19 behinds from us was just deplorable and disgusting, however it reminds me of 2009/2010 so much!
We're not far off the pace pies fans, the fact that we brought it right up to reigning premiers this week and the team that was on the top of the ladder last week shows that we have the desire to win the flag but just not the skills or execution yet. It will come in due time and it's definitely not far.

Our midfield, as well as Witts, was SMASHED early however we managed to come back from that to eventually win the midfield battle. Yep, we won the contested possessions and clearances overall against one of the best midfields in the comp! COP THAT!
Witts was great in the ruck and we only lost the hitouts as a team by 2 hitouts, not bad with a part time ruck such as Jesse White in there for about 20% of the game.

Our forward line structure was great tonight, and if it wasn't for terrible accuracy from a few of our 'star' forwards *cough* Cloke, White, Fasolo *cough* we would have s**t on the Hawks tonight. So frustrating yet so intriguing to see where we build from here.

Our defence I will put down as "OK". The Hawks definitely played "chinese checkers" as the media likes to call it, with us again tonight, but we had more intensity so we limited their effectiveness in doing so. The fact that their small forwards in Breust, Rioli and Gunston got off the hook was a real worry for me. Perhaps it's time to debut Scharenberg?

It's a frustrating time to be a pies fan, but also an exciting one.
Top summary. I didn't think White was poor tonight either, neither was Cloke who killed Lake. I can't remember the last time our forward line had to deal with so few 2-3 on 1's. Good structure. Inaccurate kicking hurt and that is their primary job but shouldn't preclude their overall performance.

Keep up these summaries. Very well reasoned and balanced.

i generally love Bucks, but last night was a mixed bag of master motivator, and poor tactician. 2 weeks in a row a quick clever small forward rip a new into the pies. The out the back goals to rioloi and breust drove me nuts last night and last week. It has to stop the defensive structure is slightly off, this will cost the pies a great ladder position in September.

The choice of Blair as sub, cmon the guy is in career best form, the choice of 2 debut kids in the same game against the hawks, the injury list didn't warrant it, and regardless, both Maynard and Moore haven't been tearing it up in the ressies anyway, Marsh should of debuted ahead of Maynard. Mature bodies were required, its a team game with a list of 40 the choose from, who cares if some players appear to be close to the scape heap but last night, Young or Karnezis would of helped in getting us over the line.

The sub activation last night, terrible timing terrible choice, Moore should of been left on, a huge mark and goal was just around the corner, it would brought the house down, Blair should been on for Mayanrd at the 15 min mark in the 3rd. Bucks has to improve a little with his sub choices and when to use them. I don't see the lessons learnt by a young player in his first game getting turned inside out by Rioloi and bruest these moments may be good for the player development but team is penalised with the result.

Overall last night player selection and coach game day tactics handed the points to the hawks. Bucks will have his shot at the hawks again this year, it will be a semi or prelim, I hope he is better for it

#32 Travis Cloke:

I couldn't agree more. My views about Blair's contribution also mirror yours.

I was happy to see Maynard given an opportunity but once again we saw that 99.9% of players will need time to adjust to AFL intensity. He looked a level below last night, but also showed the raw attributes needed to make it. He'll come good.

Elliot was a worry. I think the coaching panel need a plan B to help him get into the game when he's struggling.

i generally love Bucks, but last night was a mixed bag of master motivator, and poor tactician. 2 weeks in a row a quick clever small forward rip a new into the pies. The out the back goals to rioloi and breust drove me nuts last night and last week. It has to stop the defensive structure is slightly off, this will cost the pies a great ladder position in September.

The choice of Blair as sub, cmon the guy is in career best form, the choice of 2 debut kids in the same game against the hawks, the injury list didn't warrant it, and regardless, both Maynard and Moore haven't been tearing it up in the ressies anyway, Marsh should of debuted ahead of Maynard. Mature bodies were required, its a team game with a list of 40 the choose from, who cares if some players appear to be close to the scape heap but last night, Young or Karnezis would of helped in getting us over the line.

The sub activation last night, terrible timing terrible choice, Moore should of been left on, a huge mark and goal was just around the corner, it would brought the house down, Blair should been on for Mayanrd at the 15 min mark in the 3rd. Bucks has to improve a little with his sub choices and when to use them. I don't see the lessons learnt by a young player in his first game getting turned inside out by Rioloi and bruest these moments may be good for the player development but team is penalised with the result.

Overall last night player selection and coach game day tactics handed the points to the hawks. Bucks will have his shot at the hawks again this year, it will be a semi or prelim, I hope he is better for it

So sack Buckley:rolleyes:

I agree Moore should of stayed on in last and Elliot should of been Subbed out

Yeah he was well beaten to half time - was down to Hale in Hitouts plus Ceglar had 11 himself. But he fought back hard winning 21 HOs in the second half and only had 7 less than the combined total of Ceglar & Hale, plus only 1 less touch than them combined. Great effort, and you could really see the difference in the centre clearances particularly when he got on top. Unfortunately don't know what the HOs to advantage were at the end.

From the Herald sun this morning :

Witts 36 with 6 to advantage
Hale 25 with 6 to advantage

White 10 with 4 to advantage
Cellar 17 with 6 to advantage

Team totals
Coll 47 (10)
Haw 48 (14)

From the Herald sun this morning :

Witts 36 with 6 to advantage
Hale 25 with 6 to advantage

White 10 with 4 to advantage
Cellar 17 with 6 to advantage

Team totals
Coll 47 (10)
Haw 48 (14)

Plus from memory:

Witts 14 touches
Hale 8
Ceglar 7

Don't even need to include White to
See how well Witts went.

Also lol @ Ceglar autocorrect to Cellar.

If you don't mind me hijacking your thread Tempest I'll post my review here as well.

I thought it was the best game against the Hawks since 2011. The ultimate test for our team and structure for me was to see how it would stack up against the top teams. And the pleasing thing is that from the past two weeks we can say it stacks up well. No one so far has been able to completely throw our structures away for the majority of a game (the closest would be Geelong as the entire first half showed our structures falling apart).

Overall our backline performed OK but it's our midfield I was most impressed by, the forward line got given a lot of opportunities but underperformed in intensity and accuracy. We did dominate the clearances after the first quarter which is a huge win against the Hawks and one thing we did particularly well in the midfield is defend the quick handball out. The Hawks love to go towards the ball with two men, one to mark it, one to receive the immediate handball and start the run. Considering we have at times lost our structures in the middle because of the opposition using an extra man I thought that was a really good effort from us to block the space and the run, it will serve us well against Port as well who love to play on.

Hawks' skilful uncontested style of play is always going to be the nemesis to our contested pressure game. But yesterday it's accuracy that cost us the 4 points, not a flaw in the game plan, so from that perspective, yesterday would be a win for the coaching and playing groups.

--- Our best players:

Pendlebury - Amazing game, in line with his first quarter against Freo last week but this time he kept it up all game. Statistically lead the disposal, CPs, clearances, tackles, I50s and goal assists counts. Just a complete all round performance. But the best thing with him is that he makes everyone else play so much better. We really have an all time great here and should praise him more than we currently do.

Adams - Instrumental in our midfield and big part of our (surprising) domination in clearances. Threw his body in there, dished out good handballs to end up with 11 CPs, 9 clearances and 7 tackles. Building his game nicely.

Williams - What a year he is having, and he's still so young with scope for improvement. Great to see him kick a goal as well, however while we got this goal at the time he was sent to the midfield and forward (unless he was following his opponent there but don't know who that would be), a few minutes later he was missing from the backline and we probably had our worst period of play in the game with the Hawks kicking three in a row.

Crisp - Similar to his game against Freo where he was given a loose run with role on Mitchell but created his own plays. I found it funny that he came to us with queries on his kicking. He's been the second or third best kick for us this year after Pendles and perhaps Varcoe. He's either improved out of nowhere, or it's just Brisbane supporters' lack of understanding of the game showing.

--- Players who held their own:

Sidebottom - I was expecting him to struggle against Freo but get back into from against the Hawks and that's what happened. I quite liked his game, very outside focused with only the 4 CPs out of 30 disposals, but that's his role at the moment. He was OK with his possessions but I think they could have been a little more damaging. Hasn't completely regained his best form yet but getting there.

Varcoe - Great first half, such a smart player and so happy to have him in the team to settle things when others panic, gives a great effort as well tackling, bumping and spoiling. A couple of turnovers and one bad one from the kick in but can't blame the only guy who goes for a high risk high reward ball in the back. Really hope he doesn't get suspended because his skills and smarts are invaluable to our already average-skilled team.

Swan - If he hadn't kicked two goals I would have had him as a disappointment because his midfield output was not good enough, not damaging and poor use of the ball. But the fact is he did impact the game when sent forward, the reality of him this year is that he's been more valuable at half forward than he has been in the centre.

Broomhead - Shame he missed his second and third snaps at goal (one of them didn't register a score). Was pretty clean with the ball, but could have been a bit more influential forward.

Witts - Good game in the ruck and definitely played a part in our domination at clearance as his opposition was much less scary than Sandilands last week. Decent around the ground but a few times you see him standing out in the middle of a pack but never in contention for the mark. That is one area of the game he needs to improve as he'll never be a top level ruckman without being a dangerous mark at least in the middle.

De Goey - Had one his most influential games from us, his quick handballs were really polished and damaging particularly in the first half where he set up a lot of our goals and best plays. Very, very good signs for the future, I really like having a true prototype midfielder developing for us.

Langdon - Best game in a while, started very strongly, taking intercept possessions and launching us the other way. Provided lots of rebound for us throughout the game and was hard on the ball and smart in defence. Only knock would be his couple of mistakes by foot in the second half.

Brown - Another good game for Brown, but a little bit untidy with some handballs/loopy kicks which put his teammates in danger. Not much else to report.

Frost - Mirrors his game against Freo, he had a relatively weak opposition, which he did well against, however made one mistake that he shouldn't have made and it was costly. Last week it was holding Walters which handed Freo the match winning goal, this week it was the poor body work against Schoenmakers which gave him his only goal for the game.

Cloke - Can't help but be frustrated at the two bad misses. Can't help but praise him for his strong run and strong body work and marking. Overall I think he played his role well and smashed Lake, we just needed him to get one of the easy ones.

White - Agree with the OP, no point focusing on his particular miss when it's the entire forward line that underperformed overall (Cloke and Fas inaccurate, Elliott and Moore ineffective), he played his role well, rucked OK and provided a good contest forward, he also is our top scorer for the night and as a forward/ruck his output is on par with what you'd expect and on par with the (good) year he is having.

Fasolo - Really liked his intensity, hard at it, but ultimately he's in the team to provide the skills to get those snaps at goals and he missed two gettable ones in a row in the 3rd when we should have got on top.

Moore & Maynard - I wasn't going to put them in the disappointing sections because to be disappointed you have to have expectations, however if they were your regular players their output would be deemed as such. With Moore, he showed ability to strongly impact the contest and good instincts as a forward, but in the end failed to deliver a goal and only took one mark. Maynard showed why he is rated, good physicality and good use of the ball, but he tried too hard at times (that turnover in the guts) and his positioning was a bit off defensively a couple of times which cost us goals. Good signs for the future though.

--- The disappointing performances:

Toovey - Last week I felt like he allowed his opposition too much space and this week wasn't any different, however the reviews are too harsh as we didn't have him as a hard match up on Rioli, but rather kept changing match ups with Marley being sent to the middle as an extra man, with Maynard and Toovey to organise the small defence. Yes they did get outplayed there at times but Toovey's not alone and wasn't helped by Maynard's inexperienced (Toovey was seen on both Gunston and Breust at times).

Elliott - Biggest disappointment for mine. Both last week and this week in our games against the top teams we would have won if we had his x factor injected into the game but he was off both times. Unable to get into the game at all after his missed flying mark (similar to the game against Freo). Both weeks the oppositions top small forward in Walters and Rioli killed us going the other way.

Oxley - Similar to his last game against Freo, bit out of form lately and you would have expected the Hawks game to suit him best. Never quite provided run and never drove the ball forward (0 I50s). Needs to impact the game in the middle as we can't just have him in the team to play as a loose man in defence when things go against us, we need to start dictating terms.

-- The Sub

Blair
- Interesting choice as a sub, not the most obvious one as you'd think Blair plays consistent games but lacks X factor, however he had an immediate impact when he came on. 8 possessions, five of them contested, two clearances and 1 goal from one quarter only is brilliant for a sub.

-- A few notes on form overall:

Trending up:

*Pendles had one relatively quiet one last week by his standard, but with this game it's been 3 outstanding performances out of the last 4. The media and even us supporters aren't acknowledging it enough, but I think he is in career best form.

*Adams is on three great games in a row and hasn't put a foot wrong since he came back after his injury and missed the Queen's birthday clash.

*Crisp continues to impress with another high level performance making it 3 in a row. He hasn't had a 'disappointing' game all year from my reviews.

Trending down:

*Elliott had his second disappointing game in a row. Needs to bounce back as he's crucial to our forward line.

*Oxley had his second disappointing game in a row as well, when he usually bounces back after a poor performance. But the good thing is 'bad' games aren't as bad as they were a the start of the year.

Moore & Maynard - I wasn't going to put them in the disappointing sections because to be disappointed you have to have expectations, however if they were your regular players their output would be deemed as such. With Moore, he showed ability to strongly impact the contest and good instincts as a forward, but in the end failed to deliver a goal and only took one mark. Maynard showed why he is rated, good physicality and good use of the ball, but he tried too hard at times (that turnover in the guts) and his positioning was a bit off defensively a couple of times which cost us goals. Good signs for the future though.

Great review as always Vankri. I'd love to get your thoughts on how we structured up with Moore, the likes of Gibson and Birchall were very quiet last night and couldn't generate much play at all for the Hawks. Is it worth giving Moore an extended run in the side just for structural reasons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all this. This was not the game to debut two kids. Suicide.
Seedsman and Karnezis should have played.

Great review as always Vankri. I'd love to get your thoughts on how we structured up with Moore, the likes of Gibson and Birchall were very quiet last night and couldn't generate much play at all for the Hawks. Is it worth giving Moore an extended run in the side just for structural reasons?

I think the structure of the forward line was good yesterday – the execution is another matter. I was in favour of brining back the 3-tall forward, because it does force match ups for the opposition and I want us to be less passive and reactive now that we're building trust and confidence in the game plan.

So for me in the forward line it's a case of what personnel work best in that setup. Cloke is playing that CHF role playing further from goals (and won't be dropped under any circumstance), Elliott is playing really well by spending most of his time forward (if you consider his entire year not just the last two weeks), Fas has shown he takes the 'second small forward' role well, and I believe we have enough quality to rotate the sixth forward position with our mid forwards in Blair, Broomhead, Swan, De Goey.

Myself ultimately I would love to see how the following forward line would work:
Elliott-Reid-Blair
Grundy-Cloke-Fasolo

But for this to work you'd need Grundy to prove he can be a good forward and take White's forward-ruck role, and you'd also need to play Reid forward. None of this is currently how the club is adjusting/developing these players so in the meantime I definitely think there is a role for Moore to play as that second tall. He showed intensity and good signs and honestly the only way I see him coming out is if Grundy needs to be brought back in, but I really hope it would be to play Grundy 80% of the time forward.

Toovey was on Puopolo. Varcoe lined up on Rioli...

Are you sure? Honestly saw him on Puopolo, Rioli, Gunston and Breust at times. I think we very rarely play 'tags' nowadays. Crisp is told to go on Mitchell but loosely and mostly at clearances, not actually run with him as Macaffer would have. We only seem to tell talls who to match up on, and our small defenders adapt depending on the situation, with Marley alternating between playing loose and playing on a man. It's our team defence setup this year and it definitely makes it difficult to assess the performance of someone like Toovey who does his best job defensively but doesn't impact the rebound as much.

So sack Buckley:rolleyes:

I agree Moore should of stayed on in last and Elliot should of been Subbed out
In hindsight probably, but had Elliott caught fire in the last which he can do, we would have been calling Bucks a genius for leaving him on.

However I did think at the time that it was a mistake taking Moore off, our forward structure looked better when he wa there.

Are you sure? Honestly saw him on Puopolo, Rioli, Gunston and Breust at times. I think we very rarely play 'tags' nowadays. Crisp is told to go on Mitchell but loosely and mostly at clearances, not actually run with him as Macaffer would have. We only seem to tell talls who to match up on, and our small defenders adapt depending on the situation, with Marley alternating between playing loose and playing on a man. It's our team defence setup this year and it definitely makes it difficult to assess the performance of someone like Toovey who does his best job defensively but doesn't impact the rebound as much.[/QUOTE]
Nearly every bounce I remember Toovey was lining up on Puopolo and Varcoe was with Rioli. Neither really stayed on them for a long though they tended to press hard.

Oxley - from my viewing he had a run with role on Hill. He simply ran out petrol tickets and when hill got in top, the hawks got on top.

Maynard - first game so you could forgive the costly turnover. Needed to go to the longer option. Fell over to much for mine, but will be better from this point forward.

White - he played well, he and cloke are just killing us with their set shots.

Elliot - had a poor game but the way the game was played didn't really suit. Still could've done more.

I think that Sums it up well. They are Kids and for Debut games they did show what they can offer. Moore having a Real Crack but did not get the Ball Much.

Maynard showed he can Use the Ball Well and does take a Sideways Step.

De Goey - Had one his most influential games from us, his quick handballs were really polished and damaging particularly in the first half where he set up a lot of our goals and best plays. Very, very good signs for the future, I really like having a true prototype midfielder developing for us.

Yeah, Best Game so Far. Started well but Faded late in game.

Crisp - Similar to his game against Freo where he was given a loose run with role on Mitchell but created his own plays. I found it funny that he came to us with queries on his kicking. He's been the second or third best kick for us this year after Pendles and perhaps Varcoe. He's either improved out of nowhere, or it's just Brisbane supporters' lack of understanding of the game showing.

Does seem more Run With Role then Tagging he done last 2 weeks. He can go both way really well.

Adams - Instrumental in our midfield and big part of our (surprising) domination in clearances. Threw his body in there, dished out good handballs to end up with 11 CPs, 9 clearances and 7 tackles. Building his game nicely.

Was Huge again vs Hawks. Great to see him play so well against the Top Sides. Hope he Keeps it up at this Level for rest of the Season

I pretty sure Moore had Spangher on him for Majority of the Game

He sure did, but that forces Gibson to go to Cloke or White, and he isn't allowed to zone off and intercept our forward entries.

Moore did a great job keeping his man away from Cloke and he had lot more 1v1 battles then he normally has deep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back