Toast Thanks Travis - best of luck for the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Gutted to see him go. I'll always associate him with that last quarter goal, which is still to this day the best individual piece of play I've ever seen in a Grand Final. I love Rohan Connolly's description:

Rohan Connolly said:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/varcoe-a-man-for-the-moment-20130405-2hcl2.html

Time for reflection on football, or anything for that matter, is rare these days, but one certainty is the more years that pass, the more Varcoe's final goal against Collingwood will be hailed as at least the equal of Ray Gabelich or Phil Manassa's runs and goals for the Magpies in grand finals of yore, or Wayne Harmes' chase of his own kick and boundary line knock-back in 1979.

A three-parter, it featured Varcoe first standing his ground under a high ball and oncoming Magpie Alan Toovey inside his team's defensive 50. As the Cats cleared the spills, Varcoe continued to run to the wing, where he then toe-poked the ball into space for Allen Christensen.

Still he ran on, now well inside the forward 50, where he neatly roved the crumbs of another marking contest between Duncan and Collingwood's Harry O'Brien, and on his left foot 30 metres out, coolly bounced through the clincher.

Those 30 seconds would soon become an indispensable part of most AFL clubs' pre-seasons, as the clip was wheeled out again and again for players across the competition by their coaches as the definitive example of courage, gut-running and skill.

"I've watched the game again a couple of times, I watched it with my old man, but that sort of stuff I probably won't sit down and actually think about much until I'm finished," he says. "It's good to refer back to something like that as a training drill or whatever, but as soon as the next pre-season starts, it's on to the next year, it's pretty short-lived."

Indeed, what Varcoe remembers more fondly is the next 20 or so seconds, when his great mate and in many ways role model Stokes spent several moments talking to him, pointing at where the play had begun, and finishing with an encouraging hand slap. What did Stokes say?

"He just said: 'That was awesome, that's what we need, you've got to keep it going, keep grinding away and that will win us another premiership.' I didn't give him much back because I was absolutely knackered!

"But I love the way he plays, I always seek advice from him, and for him to come up and say that just lifted me a little more."

Still gives me chills whenever I watch the footage. The mixture of ecstasy, pride, exhaustion and relief written all over his face as he wheeled away in celebration spoke for the feelings of all Geelong fans at the time. We knew the premiership cup was in our grasp as soon as that ball rolled over the line. That goal was just too damn good. Varcoe was just too damn good. And, in that moment, I think everyone knew that Geelong was just too damn good.

Still get goosebumps when I watch it back. Thanks Varcs :thumbsu:

1932364_746414795395184_595233324142981665_n.jpg

To me Trav was like a thoroughbred, when he was on, he was as good as anyone in the league, but if he was off, even a little, his game fell away. I'm not sure we ever appreciated Trav enough when he was playing for us. Hopefully, when he finally retires, he will be remembered as a Geelong dual premiership player and given the recognition by the club and supporters that he hasn't always received. In highlight reels of Geelong premierships Trav will figure significantly and, in a decades time, it will be interesting to see how he is remembered!

Yeah disappointed he is gone. I think he has a lot more to offer if played right, not sure running off back is his bit, I prefer defensive forward if anything.

After he did his shoulder he went for a lot of marks / loose balls / tackles one-armed; I think it was a confidence thing as that seemed to change when his form got better toward the end of the year - or maybe he just needs to nurse himself a bit and can't really last a season.

In any case, hope he still does well. Losing two indigenous players in one go really does take something away fromthe cats I recon.

I've been a Trav fan from day one.

Thanks for your crucial roles in the '09 and '11 flags Travvy.

All the best in your new career as a Magpie... except when you play us :thumbsu:
So I'm not the only one who is a Travis fan. Good to know. Sad to see him go, even more sad to see who becomes our next whipping boy:(

Good luck Travis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadder still to know that some simply must have a whipping boy, just......well, because
meto posting will be interesting to read. I said to him at one point his posting about things non Varcoe related is quite good. I hope we don't adopt a new whipping boy for the sake of it.

meto posting will be interesting to read. I said to him at one point his posting about things non Varcoe related is quite good. I hope we don't adopt a new whipping boy for the sake of it.

Someone will, nothing surer. (not aimed at you Meto!)

Clark and Stanley are on a hiding to nothing around here if they struggle with form or injury next year, poor bastards.

If they look up at the first bounce they'll see the vultures circling I reckon.

I think regardless of what we think of a GFC we should always wish them the best when they leave the club. It takes more than 22 players to win a Premiership. Not all can be A graders - but just by being at the club they make their contribution.

Someone will, nothing surer. (not aimed at you Meto!)

Clark and Stanley are on a hiding to nothing around here if they struggle with form or injury next year, poor bastards.

If they look up at the first bounce they'll see the vultures circling I reckon.

I won't be one of them circling that is, Travis did enough of that IMO! ...Clark's ten times more important to team structure than Varcoe was, that's if we intend to reverse the slide.

I won't be one of them circling that is, Travis did enough of that IMO! ...Clark's ten times more important to team structure than Varcoe was, that's if we intend to reverse the slide.
We all know you hated Trav, so why don't you show some class and just stay out of this thread. He's gone now, so move on. I will do the same with Bumdy.

Sad to see him go, but that's AFL footy nowadays. Will always remember him for his 2011 GF heroics, especially his last quarter goal, plus his tackle on Malceski at 0:54 of the following clip:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back