The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers and dees will pull around 60000
Pies vs bombers will be around 90000
Port vs Hawks will get 50000
Gws vs Gold Coast have already said they want a record Canberra crowd
And god knows what New Zealand will pull! But having 6 games based around the Anzac Day/spirit will see a massive round attendance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many seats have been allocated to the Hawks, how many to North or is publicising these numbers an embarrassment to AFL PR/spin?

I'm less interested in that and more interested in how it works. Will north recieve money for those hawk members who get free entry? and if so who pays for it?

Surely there have been higher crowds at Adelaide Oval and AAMI?

North V Port mate. Not Port V North.
Decent turnout in Tassie, poor showing at the Cattery and can't wait for the new stadium in WA 39k for a derby is ridiculously low compared to what they could get.

Par turnout in Tasmania DA but not so sure the Cat Park turnout was all that poor.

The two Previous visits by GC to the Cats happened in 2011 and 2013 and in both the Cats were jointly ladder topping. Fall off in attendance quickly follows fall off in onfield form and was inevitable. The 21,000 possibly a thousand or so off what might be expected but in line with a general softness across Victoria.

the AFL rarely publishes these numbers, but do go on.

A modicum of curiousity begs the question WHY such info is rarely published YET no questions are asked - why is that Wookie when the handwringing over Etihad is almost a weekly event?
When the club I follow is asked to kick the can for the mess that is FIXturing & the stadium management agreement, hang on, do go on o_O e.g the Bulldogs want to play there now that the A League are looking for a Grand Final venue, all this when they are talking about wanting money for a venue in Ballarat. Such behaviour deserves scrutiny Wookie?

I'm less interested in that and more interested in how it works. Will north recieve money for those hawk members who get free entry? and if so who pays for it?

Yeah, Hawthorn pay North a set amount for every member that scans through. Don't know how much that is, or who sets it. I would have thought it would be a negotiated thing between the 2 clubs.

Yeah, Hawthorn pay North a set amount for every member that scans through. Don't know how much that is, or who sets it. I would have thought it would be a negotiated thing between the 2 clubs.

Hawks have 4 replacement games isn't it?

Great deal for the 11 game members in Melbourne.....kick the unattractive games over to the Tassie's ( yes you do guys so don't deny it ) who have no alternative and have 11 "home" games chock full of what the hawks website advertises as blockbusters in their place. It is great value.

Last edited:
I'd love to see them attract a big crowd to that or indeed any game but 45,000 in Round 5 is almost certainly unachievable.

Last season a top 8 North hosted ladder topping Hawthorn at Docklands on a Friday night....just over 35,000. The fixture has never exceeded 40,00 when played at Docklands and I don't think has ever drawn 45,000 in a home and away game though I may be corrected on that.

In effect you are expecting an unprecedented attendance which would demand outlying factors which simply won't apply in Round 5. I'd love to be proved wrong and like you truly want to see Norf go well and prosper but round 5 won't exceed 40,000 and may not get close to it.

Largest North Melbourne v Hawthorn home and away games...

Round 13, 1993 - North Melbourne v Hawthorn 47,705 (MCG)
Round 18, 1990 - North Melbourne v Hawthorn 44,627 (MCG)
Round 13, 2008 - Hawthorn v North Melbourne 42508 (MCG)
Round 5, 2013 - Hawthorn v North Melbourne 42,103 (MCG)
Round 3, 2008 - North Melbourne v Hawthorn 39,816 (Docklands)

North Melbourne v Hawthorn will draw 40,000 plus IF Hawthorn fans embrace the membership replacement game...on select occurrences (including round 3, 2008) Hawk members have turned up in big numbers to replacement games at Docklands but it is on rare occurrences.

That said the last time we played a home game (or designated away game) at Docklands we drew a decent crowd of 32,508 against the Eagles so perhaps the stigma around Docklands is changing

Hawks have 4 replacement games isn't it?

Great deal for the 11 game members in Melbourne.....kick the unattractive games over to the Tassie's ( yes you do guys so don't deny it ) who have no alternative and have 11 "home" games chock full of what the hawks website advertises as blockbusters in their place. It is great value.

This year aside this has not been the case in previous years. In fact if you have a look at Hawthorn's home game fixture since 2010 its been decidedly ordinary...

MCG vs. Geel, Syd, PA, Ess, WB, Melb, Coll
Tas vs. NM, Adel, BL, Frem

MCG vs. Melb, Geel, StK, Frem, Ess, PA, WB
Tas vs. WCE, GC, BL, NM

MCG vs. Coll, Adel, BL, GWS, Geel, GC, WCE
Tas Vs. Syd, Frem, NM, PA

MCG vs. Geel, NM, Syd, GC, Rich, Coll
Ethiad vs. WCE
Tas vs. Frem, GWS, BL, WB

MCG vs. Frem, StK, GWS, Coll, Syd, Geel, Melb
Tas vs. BL, WCE, GC, WB

To say that Hawthorn shift their 4 lowest home games to Tasmania year in, year out is a myth...

In 2012 we played matches against Sydney (avg: 43448 across the 3 previous h/a games in Melb - 2008, 2009, 2010) and North Melbourne (avg: 38,993 across the 3 previous h/a games in Melb - 2008 (x2), 2009) in Tasmania yet still played Adelaide (avg: 27442 across the 3 previous games in Melb), BL (avg: 27981), GWS and Gold Coast (both teams we never played in Melbourne up to 2012 at the MCG.

Every season we take half our games down to Tasmania that draw 40k or thereabouts over the last 3 times we've played the equivalent sides in home games in Melbourne (i.e. Syd - 54,498, WCE - 37,223, WB - 37,218, NM - 36,611, BL - 34,092, Frem - 30,719, Adel - 30,637, PA - 27,778, GC - 25,754, GWS - 22,114) and play 2 home games in Melbourne against teams that draw sub 30,000 (i.e GWS / Gold Coast and in the past Port Adelaide)

This year we have a much stronger draw (Melb games vs. Geel, Ess, Carl, Rich, Melb, Syd, PA) and I expect our 3 game rolling average against Port Adelaide to top 30,000 (with Fremantle / Adelaide).

In an ideal world we'd shift our home games against WB / NM and WCE / BL back to Melbourne and play games against Gold Coast / GWS in Tasmania...so its not a case of playing the 4 least desirable games in Tasmania, the AFL uses our Tasmanian games as a bit of a trade off to ensure lower drawing clubs get home and away access at the MCG

then i don't see the issue with it so long as the other team aren't pressured into excepting unders. from what we've heard about etihad deals this could be the most profitable games for smaller clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whatever you may think about AFL attendances....3,978 turned up for a professional rugby league game in Cronulla tonight.
RL people saying that crowd was fudged to. Real figure would've been half that apparently :eek: although it was absolutely shocking conditions and on a Monday night it's still pretty poor.

RL people saying that crowd was fudged to. Real figure would've been half that apparently :eek: although it was absolutely shocking conditions and on a Monday night it's still pretty poor.

It is just possible that those RL people stating that are correct.

I would never dare suggest that RL clubs crowd fudge, let's leave it to those in the know.

news reports saying that the game was nearly called off. The stadium has almost no covered areas, and events like tonight are a shining example of why the AFL moved from suburban stadiums years ago.

news reports saying that the game was nearly called off. The stadium has almost no covered areas, and events like tonight are a shining example of why the AFL moved from suburban stadiums years ago.

The NRL is generally 10 to 15 years behind the AFL in most things, and the use of suburban grounds is but one example.

NRL fans will have to go through their growing pains in gradually letting go of the old grounds, just like Victorian AFL fans had to 15 or so years ago.

Yeah I think only 10-15% of the seats are undercover. Well done to anyone who attended tonight, especially given its a Monday night. :thumbsu:

Nah, Richmond v Melbourne will be closer to 50,000

I'll be surprised and disappointed if it is only 50,000. The decade 2005/14 saw Richmond host Melbourne at the MCG 8 times for an average of 49,673 so only marginally below 50,000 mostly against very unpromising ladder positions and expectations.

Friday night is a good slot. Richmond are 2 from 3 coming off a win, have 70,000 members heavily concentrated in the Melbourne area so its fair to expect the Tiger Army to be well mobilised. It is in effect a home game for the big Dees MCG contingent. It usually draws very well irrespective of form when it is a Richmond home game and there is reason to expect a crowd in excess of average for the fixture.

It really should be in the 55/60,000 range.

Last edited:
whatever you may think about AFL attendances....3,978 turned up for a professional rugby league game in Cronulla tonight.
Yeah thats a bit of a shocker I watched some of it in TV and it looked more like 1000.

All the people on here whingeing about AFL crowds should take note.

My only worry about AFL crowds is Tassie Aurora Stadium at Launceston that is supposed to hold 20,00 and consistently gets 3/4 of that and Tasmainians actually think they can support a full time AFL team?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back