2nds The 2016 Casey thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't see the Casey game so I don't know what role he was playing, but Jimmy T's numbers are concerning. 9 tackles is great, though it was reportedly a tacklefest all day, but 10 possessions for a guy who was coming of an extended run at AFL level?

Absolute slogfest from watching a couple of quarters on mfc.com - outside players will never get much ball in those conditions, all you can ask is they adapt and play as best they can in conditions that don't suit them.

9 tackles is great.

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't see the Casey game so I don't know what role he was playing, but Jimmy T's numbers are concerning. 9 tackles is great, though it was reportedly a tacklefest all day, but 10 possessions for a guy who was coming of an extended run at AFL level?

Drop to Development league pls. :thumbsu:

Sounds likely. I don't think he'd be a player with any issues winning the ball when he wants to (at least at VFL level). It's likely that when he doesn't in the seconds he's been given a very specific role to play, possibly because even when he does win a lot of the ball he doesn't have a hell of a lot of impact on the contest.

You would presume he is largely working on defensive aspects and running patterns when he goes back - so it wouldnt surpise if he often gets a run-with role for at least a half or so when he plays at Casey.

Sounds like Jamar and Spencer (who would by far be the most dominant ruck combo in the VFL) just kept feeding the ball down to Riley, Michie and Gent who then hacked it forward for the rest of the Casey team to pressure the ball and force repeat stoppages. Territory is half the battle.

Port likely racked up tackles in at the stoppages and maybe had a man back sweeping up after losing in at the contest. So hardly a surprise that the Casey outside players had more tackles than possessions. I wouldn't worry too much.

Maybe the question should be where Toump should play not how he plays. I'd like to see him thrown in the Casey midfield instead of Michie and Riley who dominate inside but need to work on their outside games.

Hunt kicked 4 goals. He's starting to earn himself at least another year on the list. It doesn't sound like he impacts games that much in terms of touches, but his speed must be just way way too much for VFL level players to deal with.

Hunt kicked 4 goals. He's starting to earn himself at least another year on the list. It doesn't sound like he impacts games that much in terms of touches, but his speed must be just way way too much for VFL level players to deal with.
Initially read that as Kent & almost shed tears of joy.

Kent played 2nds and didn't really impact from reports. Some people saying he had issues with his hammies but nothing solid... will wait for the MFC report during the week.

I was at the game today. Jamar was about as dominant as you get. Clearly way too good for that level.

Our usual VFL troopers had good games. Grimes was classy, Jordie was too fit and had too big a work rate, Bail dud good things. Even Terlich, though he did turn it over a few times, had a really important role and played it well. Our defence was excellent for most of the day and the Blues went very long stretches without even nearly looking like scoring. In the end I reckon the scoreboard flattered the Blues. The second quarter saw the blues awarded 5 50m penalties in a row and I think they only kicked one goal from it.

Hunt was good getting on the end of a few but I preferred King's game. Still needs body but he is well worth persisting with. Might see him next year if he keeps progressing.

One thing I didn't like was Toumpas. He did some good things but continually made bad decisions and skill errors. I'm worried about him

Last edited:
I know these reports can be a bit of a wank, but it seems we had a handful of genuinely decent performances this weekend.

Grimes and Jones the most likely to press for selection on recent performances, perhaps?;

LINK

Jack Grimes: Grimesy was super. He had 30 possessions and ended up having eight tackles. His contested work was strong and he gave us some inside ball. He was also really good with some forward connection. That was one of his best games this year, considering he was coming off a hand operation. It’s not easy coming back from an injury quickly and I thought his performance on the weekend will put him right into consideration this weekend, if there are changes in the AFL side. It was a very solid game.

Jayden Hunt: Jayden had another really good performance. He kicked four goals, had 11 possessions and he ended up having two effective tackles. His running ability, speed and explosiveness, is something that’s been a real positive and he’s been using it well since he played at senior level. He’s been playing that high half forward role, where it allows him to use his asset. Jayden’s been a real find for us and he’s developed really quickly and he’s played three really solid games in the VFL now. His impact around the footy, particularly when he had some space was very, very exciting.

Mark Jamar: I thought Russian was our best player on the weekend. His past six to seven weeks have been outstanding really. He ended up having 46 hit outs, 13 possessions and four effective tackles. Mark also kicked two goals and probably should’ve ended up with four. His work around the stoppage – he continually gave us first use – helped the midfielders set-up. We utilised that part and his strength. He was certainly a big reason why we won the game, so he was tremendous.

Matt Jones: I felt that it was Matty’s best four quarter effort for Casey this year. He ended up having 29 possessions and five effective tackles. Matty also kicked a really good crumbing goal inside 50, where he read the ball off the pack and made a classy snap. A lot of his outside work and speed, plus his link up run were really solid. We were really pleased with Jonesy on the weekend.

Jordie McKenzie: Jordie had 29 possessions and eight effective tackles. His last two weeks have been outstanding. He’s just a player you can trust. He’s a really trustworthy player. He competes and gives you that grunt around the football and he shows intent when he’s tackling. Jordie also got a bit of outside ball this week, where he was able to link up and run. He also provided eight inside 50s. That’s an area of his game that we’ve really challenged Jordie in, but he’s just a super person and really coachable.

Viv Michie: Viv’s had a good couple of weeks. He ended up with 25 possessions and three effective tackles. Viv provided us with good ball use and linked inside 50. He ended up having nine clearances, which was the highest for the day from our midfield players, so his work around the stoppages was really strong. He played his role really well and also gave us some quality ball use and link-up work. I can’t fault Viv at the moment. His attitude has been tremendous since being dropped back to the VFL.

Jimmy Toumpas: Toump played well and had 18 possessions. It was the second week in a row that he had high tackles. It’s an area of his game that we’re really encouraging Toump to improve in. He had eight effective tackles and went inside 50 seven times. Toump’s link from mid-forward was good and he gave us some good ball use inside 50. He took two really courageous marks running back with the flight of the ball, after working hard to get back inside 50. He kicked two behinds and they were probably gettable goals. Toump’s really worked hard on his game, with that outside role. He played well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all those player reports above, as you can see from my own report, except Toumpas. I'd like to know how many clangers he had or turnovers he caused. He looks slow and scared to me when he has the ball. Unable to break a tackle, even though I know he's meant to be an 'outside' player. Made a few pretty poor decisions for a supposedly AFL-ready player. Jones, Grimes, Jordie, Michie all way ahead of him in that regard. Those players have also already got the 'defensive things' that they say they are trying to get Toumpas to do too. I just don't really see it with him. Has no weapons. Can kick it under no pressure for sure, but how often does that really happen in the modern era when you aren't playing for Hawthorn?

They are spot on with the Russian. He was just mammoth. I know Gawn is in pretty good form and Jamar was playing against some American, but he literally could not have played better. Even snapped a goal from the boundary right at the death to take the score over 100.

Hunt I was a bit softer on too. Yes he got his 4 goals, which was exactly his job, but we were so dominant for such long periods that I suppose someone had to kick them. Definitely encouraging, but I sorta didn't really get the feeling he was outstanding. Almost didn't seem to be that involved most of the time. Still, 4 goals is 4 goals. There were better players for us though. He is quick

Ill say it again, Newton averaging about 15 odd touches down there is worrying

So what? He's a half forward who's been kicking goals, you say Tyson's stats don't tell the true story yet you harp on about Newton's possession stats.

15 possessions and a couple of goals a game is a good return.

Ill say it again, Newton averaging about 15 odd touches down there is worrying

Yep. He wasn't playing midfield when he was in the seniors so he wasn't expected to rack up a lot of the ball, but I honestly don't think he is AFL standard. He has nice skills but doesn't find the ball and also lacks composure (You can be a good kick of the ball but make poor decisions with ball in hand, kinda like Yarran does sometimes).

I want Grimes in the team. Don't care who for, make it JKH and shuffle roles around.

He's had a strange year in terms of form, injury and, most curiously, his treatment by the coach/selection committee. Get him in the side for the rest of the year and let him settle into a role and see where he's at - he has earned at least that.

I'm really happy to see Hunt starting to show a bit, even if it is very early days. Taken as a raw, speculative project player who has struggled with injury for 18 months, I hope his progression can continue for the rest of the year and he's kept on by the club that saw something in him as an obscure pick out of high school.

Would really like to see Michie and Newton given a run in the seniors for a month as midfielders, not predominantly off flanks as they seem to be used but played to their strengths. I'd really like to see what they could do.

Happy to see Jamar in good form and hope he dominates for Casey for the rest of the year. Even happy for him to dominate for the Scorpions next year but I've moved on from him in a Dees jumper. Think he'd be utterly useless played as a permanent forward as some suggest.

I'm really happy to see Hunt starting to show a bit, even if it is very early days. Taken as a raw, speculative project player who has struggled with injury for 18 months, I hope his progression can continue for the rest of the year and he's kept on by the club that saw something in him as an obscure pick out of high school.

Would really like to see Michie and Newton given a run in the seniors for a month as midfielders, not predominantly off flanks as they seem to be used but played to their strengths. I'd really like to see what they could do.

Happy to see Jamar in good form and hope he dominates for Casey for the rest of the year. Even happy for him to dominate for the Scorpions next year but I've moved on from him in a Dees jumper. Think he'd be utterly useless played as a permanent forward as some suggest.

In a weak draft, I could see us putting him onto the rookie list next year.

I'd be pretty happy with that I think.

So what? He's a half forward who's been kicking goals, you say Tyson's stats don't tell the true story yet you harp on about Newton's possession stats.

15 possessions and a couple of goals a game is a good return.

Considering we are desperate for any sort of midfielder why is he playing on a flank in the 2's

I'm not harping , I'm questioning how he breaks into the side again this year if he doesn't find the pill

After looking back , his last 4 games have been 10,15,18,15 touches and he's kicked 3 goals

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back