Roast The "I Was Wrong" Self-Reporting Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

But what did a Jamie Elliot 'level' look like to you in 2008 when Maric played his first year and Elliot didn't even exist in the AFL caper until 2012?

Genuine question
do you still not get it? geez, the comprehension skills are lacking. if you're trolling, well played.

Let's define Jamie Elliott as a very good dynamic small forward who is a big game player with accurate goal kicking. That's the sort of player I thought we'd be getting in Maric. Obviously, as you point out, Elliott wasn't around back then so that player would've been anyone fitting the above description.

I was pretty big on Weid, and I melted when we took Oliver over Parish. Also melted at the Jackson pick but I was convinced after one practice match that he was going to be a gun. Had Dom Tyson pegged to be an elite mid down the road too, geez his career fell off a cliff.
This reminded me, I really did think Francis from that draft would be the next Goddard.

Going back a while now, pretty sure I was one of the first to hate Scully and didn't really want him in the draft but then I thought we'd solve all our key forward problem with the John the butcher

I’ve only just realised this.

You’ve somehow used the “I was wrong” thread for having a flex about how often you are right.

View attachment 1933248

Lol I think I'm just very patient and don't write off alot players
Hunt, Omac, Laurie, Brown etc. Not exactly guns

i was wrong on ANB the most. he used to fumble the s**t out of the ball and drive me mad, but somehow about halfway through 2020 he cleaned that up and i don't think i've bagged him since.

like others i also thought Weideman might come good given some time to develop, wrong.

recently i thought Howes was going to be too soft for AFL but he's surprised me so far. he might just be one of those players that comes in and steps up straight away.

also special mention to the Melkman for reinventing himself a bit last year, having a late career resurgence and making me look a bit silly for already writing him off in the process.

Oscar McDonald is a big favourite of mine.

There were a few games mid-2018 where I thought he had turned it around. He did play pretty well and got himself a brownlow vote and all. I was looking forward to rubbing everyone's nose in his ascendency to one of the greats. But he hadn't really turned it around. It was just one of those things.

I still wish we had kept him. Sometimes I just want a team with people who seem nice and I like them, rather than mess around too much with having a good list and winning things.

Also, I thought Cale Morton was going to be a gun.

Yep, Melk played some downright trash football from 2020-2022.

I remember Goody playing him as a tagger in 2020 on Fyfe? He was thrown all over the park and looked overweight and slow of body and mind. Was gifted many games during this period and his 2022 finals series was dog s**t.

I doubted him getting games in 2023 but he looked ripped and was really launching at the footy in the air and covering the ground well. Very sad he did his knee when he did as he could have done some damage in finals for us given his form.

He also looks like he's tracking back from the knee well. If he makes it back and plays some more good footy for us then fair play to him - he's obviously put in a s**t load of work

Yep, Melk played some downright trash football from 2020-2022.

I remember Goody playing him as a tagger in 2020 on Fyfe? He was thrown all over the park and looked overweight and slow of body and mind. Was gifted many games during this period and his 2022 finals series was dog s**t.

I doubted him getting games in 2023 but he looked ripped and was really launching at the footy in the air and covering the ground well. Very sad he did his knee when he did as he could have done some damage in finals for us given his form.

He also looks like he's tracking back from the knee well. If he makes it back and plays some more good footy for us then fair play to him - he's obviously put in a s**t load of work

He’s a weird player - he was really good in 2018 and 2019 was the same even though we sucked. Then fell off badly 2020-2022, resurgence late 2023 till he does the knee. Hope he can at least make it back for one more game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely, the patron saint of this thread is none other than @Biffinator’s ‘ Nathan Jones dud watch’ thread.
I thought Jones was pretty average for a while there. Nothing but a strong midfielder with no real class.

Yeah whoops.

I also for some reason thought we might win the flag last year, sort of by accident rather than being super fun or dynamic. This all pretty much hung on getting past Collingwood, and then we might luck a win in the prelim and GF. I guess it wasn’t so crazy really but I knew that once we lost our first final we were done for.

I did wonder a bit if we had either Petty, Melksham or both whether things might have been different? But I was annoyed at Melbourne for most of last year so stuff them.

Anyways, the long and short of it was I was wrong.

look, sure what do i i know, were just spectators outside the four walls but
I'm not convinced Daniel Turner will amount to what his teammates have touted him as. Our Jake Lever 2.0 (or am i the only one that thinks thats what he'll turn into)
I just dont get the hype around him,

Okay - I'll play:

Thought Brad Miller was going to become 50-70 goals a year player.
Fell into the Luke Tapscott trap as well.
Also fell into the Fraser Rossman trap.
Trying not to fall into the Bailey Laurie trap.
Was gutted to lose Jack Watts.
Hoping Sparrow is not a trap.
Thought Dom Tyson was going to be an awesome mid (maybe I was seduced by the hair).
Thought Colin Sylvia (RIP) would discover a work ethic.

I am sure there are more but that is a deep enough hole I have dug for myself for the moment.

DL.
Dom Tyson's best form coincided with his best hair.

Dom_Tyson_2017.6.jpg
👎👎

1_18PAMe14AFL2182-COPY.jpg
👍👍

Watching the Saints game reminded me, I wanted Zak Jones to come to the dees and was bummed out when he chose St Kilda.

Not bummed out anymore.

A from the vault classic take of mine: When we drafted him, I was very happy with the Sam Blease selection and thought he had the tools to become a star. I was right for one Sunday at least

Couldn't stand Jetta or Pederson early days at the club, thought they were both absolutely useless, ended up becoming two of my favourite players.

A from the vault classic take of mine: When we drafted him, I was very happy with the Sam Blease selection and thought he had the tools to become a star. I was right for one Sunday at least

It's actually quite impressive how many misses we had with the 67,000 first round picks we had over that era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back