Roast The "I Was Wrong" Self-Reporting Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of bad calls over the years. Was desperate to keep Watts, thought we were getting reamed in the May deal etc.

Going back a bit further I remember when Shaun Burgoyne was leaving port and we were linked. I was desperate for us not to get him because I thought he was cooked from injury and wouldn't last more than a few years lol.

I thought Billy Stretch, Ben Kennedy and Weideman would all end up being decent to good players.

Also thought we could make the Grundy trade work.

Personally I don’t watch the draft closely so I usually don’t have strong opinions on rookies. Saves some egg on my face I guess.

I tend to back players in for a little too long though. FWIW I still reckon Ben Brown can play some good games for us and I also think the hate Sparrow gets is a bit ott.

Personally I don’t watch the draft closely so I usually don’t have strong opinions on rookies. Saves some egg on my face I guess.

I tend to back players in for a little too long though. FWIW I still reckon Ben Brown can play some good games for us and I also think the hate Sparrow gets is a bit ott.

Sir, that's not how this thread works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things I was wrong on:
  • didn't think Goodwin was a premiership calibre coach.
  • Early stages but I think I was wrong on Kynan Brown. Has much more zip than I thought and his kicking is better than advertised.
  • I thought Addam Maric was going to be Jamie Elliott level.
  • I thought Laurie was going to be better than Bowey.
  • I thought Weideman was going to be the next Roo.
  • Not looking too good with Jefferson thus far. He is much more Beta than I thought.
  • I was high on Luke Tapscott. I still couldn't tell anyone why he didn't make the grade.
Hang on..

You thought early on his career Addam Maric was going to be on Jamie Elliott level even though Maric debut was back in 2008 and Jamie Elliot didn't play his first AFL game until 2012, which is the same year Maric was delisted from Richmond?

Okay.

Hang on..

You thought early on his career Addam Maric was going to be on Jamie Elliott level even though Maric debut was back in 2008 and Jamie Elliot didn't play his first AFL game until 2012, which is the same year Maric was delisted from Richmond?

Okay.
Thats why i said Jamie Elliott level and not Jamie Elliott himself. Not quite the burn you thought it was.

I was pretty big on Weid, and I melted when we took Oliver over Parish. Also melted at the Jackson pick but I was convinced after one practice match that he was going to be a gun. Had Dom Tyson pegged to be an elite mid down the road too, geez his career fell off a cliff.

I wanted Parish instead of Oliver.

Trading Hogan was a mistake (I might be vindicated this year if he maintains his current form)

I was against the Jackson pick and thought it was a mistake. Not that I thought he was bad per se, I just thought that a top pick should have been used to address more pressing needs on our list given that we already had an all time great ruck in his prime. Eating humble pie on that. Jackson is my favourite player to watch in the entire league.

I was pretty big on Weid, and I melted when we took Oliver over Parish. Also melted at the Jackson pick but I was convinced after one practice match that he was going to be a gun. Had Dom Tyson pegged to be an elite mid down the road too, geez his career fell off a cliff.
Fun fact.

I decided to make Oliver my number one guy because of something you posted in the live thread we had going during the trade thingy in 2014. It wasn’t a big deal, but there were lots of people talking about his weight, and others talking about him having red hair or whatever.

You made a really innocuous post along the lines of ‘does anyone else here think we’ve made a big mistake?’.

Bizarre reaction by me, but that was the moment when I said right. I’m going to love him even if all you horrible persons mock us both.

It’s been a very strange number of years since. I suppose that is to be expected. I am strange.

I think I've been pretty bang on predicting s**t players. Although I think I wrote Gus off after his second season.

Mostly wrong on who I thought would be good.
Dean Kent and Luke Tapscott sucked me in the pricks.
In fairness, you've had a golden run of Melbourne s**t-ness to bank on until recently.

I think I've been pretty bang on predicting s**t players. Although I think I wrote Gus off after his second season.

Mostly wrong on who I thought would be good.
Dean Kent and Luke Tapscott sucked me in the pricks.
I’ve only just realised this.

You’ve somehow used the “I was wrong” thread for having a flex about how often you are right.

IMG_0057.gif

Yeah weid looked good on debut and had that Geelong final (though that felt a bit flukey) I think there was a period in 2020 where he looked like he was going to step up.

Yeah thought that Dom Tyson and a pick downgrade (Salem) was definitely worth the trade (we desperately needed players) for Josh Kelly but essentially it's become a straight swap Salem for Kelly.

Okay - I'll play:

Thought Brad Miller was going to become 50-70 goals a year player.
Fell into the Luke Tapscott trap as well.
Also fell into the Fraser Rossman trap.
Trying not to fall into the Bailey Laurie trap.
Was gutted to lose Jack Watts.
Hoping Sparrow is not a trap.
Thought Dom Tyson was going to be an awesome mid (maybe I was seduced by the hair).
Thought Colin Sylvia (RIP) would discover a work ethic.

I am sure there are more but that is a deep enough hole I have dug for myself for the moment.

DL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back