Analysis The Ablett Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

She was sick while he was earning $2m. Then when it dropped to $500k he had to get home to her.

And only if he could go to Geelong. Not any other Vic team.

??

His deal originally was for 5 years, which he saw out.
He then in 2016 signed a 3 year extension to take him through to the end of 2018, worth $3 million.
He made his trade request in the 2016 trade period.

Now unless my maths is wrong, you are suggesting:

He was so money hungry that when his huge contract ran out, he decided to stay with the club, sign a $1 million contract - for which he was apparently paid only $500,000 a year according to you - secretly wanted to go home at the time of signing the contract extension which was done while he was STILL ON the massive contract, then at the end of the first year of the second deal he asked for a trade, didn’t get it, played on and won another best and fairest (played well enough in 14 games to do it), asked again and said if he didn’t get traded to the Cats he would just pull the pin.

He didn’t back end it at all he simply signed a deal, he played two seasons of the three on a pretty normal fee and then got traded

She was sick while he was earning $2m. Then when it dropped to $500k he had to get home to her.

And only if he could go to Geelong. Not any other Vic team.

She literally died after the season he tried to get traded and GCS held him to his contract.

Maybe you’re just wrong about his motives?

She literally died after the season he tried to get traded and GCS held him to his contract.

Maybe you’re just wrong about his motives?

I think the motives were always extract as much money as possible and then leave.

His sister was clearly unwell, but I dont think the death was expected. Its not a "See, thats why !" moment.

I think the motives were always extract as much money as possible and then leave.

His sister was clearly unwell, but I dont think the death was expected. Its not a "See, thats why !" moment.

The bloke played some phenomenal football at GCS, as good as anyone since Leigh Matthews. He wasn’t a great leader to build a club around.

Your argument about the sister stuff was done and dusted after she committed suicide and (most) people who think like you realised that it was serious shit going on.

Trying to keep up that argument knowing what happened is pretty ugly.

The fact he wanted a front ended contract and then demanded to leave the moment the money got low (which happens on a front ended contract) always just sat with me the wrong way.

The bloke played some phenomenal football at GCS, as good as anyone since Leigh Matthews. He wasn’t a great leader to build a club around.

Your argument about the sister stuff was done and dusted after she committed suicide and (most) people who think like you realised that it was serious s**t going on.

Trying to keep up that argument knowing what happened is pretty ugly.
I find having a crack at Gaz Jr weird at the best of times. Absolute superstar who’d achieved everything at Geelong and took an offer to good to refuse. His biggest flaw seems to be too nice of a bloke to be a ruthless leader. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I find having a crack at Gaz Jr weird at the best of times. Absolute superstar who’d achieved everything at Geelong and took an offer to good to refuse. His biggest flaw seems to be too nice of a bloke to be a ruthless leader. 🤷🏼‍♂️

He demanded to be made captain and it turned out he was a terrible captain, which apparently surprised none of his former Geelong teammates. I vaguely recall Cameron Mooney (I think) mentioning how no one saw him as leadership material.

He demanded to be made captain and it turned out he was a terrible captain, which apparently surprised none of his former Geelong teammates. I vaguely recall Cameron Mooney (I think) mentioning how no one saw him as leadership material.
Did he demand the captaincy or was it pretty well thrust upon him? Would have been tough trying to get a list of draftees and Campbell Brown to fall in line on the GC. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

News flash..if he was after money 3 or 4 vic clubs would have offered ablett more money at the end of 2017 than we did. He didnt come back for the money.

It really is amazing how many of the 0.00000001 of perfect human beings on this planet seem to inhabit an Australian rules football forum
Tall poppy syndrome. Some posters thrive on hating

Did he demand the captaincy or was it pretty well thrust upon him? Would have been tough trying to get a list of draftees and Campbell Brown to fall in line on the GC. 😂

I think it was mentioned at the time that one of the stipulations Ablett had for joining Gold Coast was that he was made captain. He would not agree to join the Suns if they did not make him captain.

The fact he wanted a front ended contract and then demanded to leave the moment the money got low (which happens on a front ended contract) always just sat with me the wrong way.

He wanted to leave because the money “got low”. This takes the prize for the biggest bullshit post.

and it was front-loaded wasn't it, and Ablett left after the very high paying year?

It was $3 million for 3 years, he left after 2. I’m not sure how amazingly front loaded it could possibly be. Seems to be a hell of a lot of just ‘this is what I’m saying so it must be what happened’ going on here.

Seems the guy’s greatest crime is being a not particularly good captain.

In nearly 2 decades of elite football, the worst thing any teammate or opponent has said about him is that his leadership is pretty average. He’s never been involved in any remote hint of a scandal, he has never put a foot wrong off the field, played his guys out on it, whether you agree with his personal beliefs or not there’s nothing ‘wrong’ with inviting a teammate to a bible study any more than there is something wrong with inviting them to get on the drink.

Doesn’t change the fact that no one has ever said anything bad about him as a person - they’ve all said he is a nice, good guy and as we all know deep down as much as we tell ourselves otherwise? There is not a single player in the afl who would not have left there club ay that time for the sort of money he was being offered

and it was front-loaded wasn't it, and Ablett left after the very high paying year?
Why did he leave. Do you even recall what was happening in his life at that time?

I vaguely recall Cameron Mooney (I think) mentioning how no one saw him as leadership material.
At Geelong where you had several clear leaders ahead in the pecking order.

Who should have got the gig at GC if not Ablett?

Why did he leave. Do you even recall what was happening in his life at that time?
I don’t even see why it matters. Players leave for “family reasons” every year. He’d carried the club for the first years of its existence. Probably wanted to finish up back home. And then theres the family issues including his son that would of been taking a toll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back