Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't we all agree that the demand a commander dominatrix and the Italian restaurant owner who listens in english and speaks only italian should get together.

So while we all contniue to argue back and forth the homo sapien devolutionary cycle has commenced turning and soon it wont matter because its likely that we will turn into mutant spuds without the ability to communicate our hatred anyway
Then the sprouting spuds and the non-sprouting spuds will form gangs.

It's funny you say that.. I played footy with a former Richmond indigenous guy, he was telling me how his family don't consider another indigenous AFL player a brother.. That his family are perceived a certain way by his elders and how they'd happily physically attack them given half the chance.

I was really intrigued about his stories, about little skipping dwarf men stealing children and taking them through the desert... I can't remenever all the stories but he told them with such passion.
I can say with some knowledge on this matter that the people that hate indigenous people the most...are in fact indigenous people

Indigenous culture (of which I am no expert) is really quite confusing, as it is a group of 800+ different groups lumped under one banner, who each have their own singular identity but are labelled as one whole.

The last few days have highlighted how bigots are extraordinarily adept at ridiculous extrapolation.

"So, if my white moggy hisses at my black chihuahua, is my moggy racist too?"

"So, if we allow gay marriage, does that mean my moggy can also marry my chihuahua?"

Yes.

And

Yes.

Are we not just allowed to simply - Not like the bloke? and sa we have our own reasons and know they are not racists to our selves? or do we have to explain our selves to the media and Sydney supporters and people who accuse us of being racists.

Are we not just allowed to simply - Not like the bloke? and sa we have our own reasons and know they are not racists to our selves? or do we have to explain our selves to the media and Sydney supporters and people who accuse us of being racists.

You don't have to like him. No one has said you have to like him.

Some people simply that lacking in empathy they are unable to view it in those terms.

We've seen examples of it here, having Goodes labelled a "sook" or "not having a backbone".

As I said, everyone - including professional athletes - have different emotional makeups, tolerance levels, breaking points, etc.

Goodes has clearly had enough and that should be reason for any decent, civil person to stop the booing.

goodes is definitey a human with feelings and breaking points.

but when he did this he lost that excuse. the booing was happening before this but it got much worse after this. and he can't have his cake and eat it too. if he wants to go up the tiny pocket of carlton fans to get in their face after beating the cellar dwellers you have to expect some public backlash. for him to provoke the crowd like that and then claim the negative attention is getting to him is pathetic.

upload_2015-7-30_22-17-46.jpeg

Week...after week...after week...after week...after week.

No, actually, I think he's fully entitled to be pretty damned sick of it after a while.

Using the LeBron James example yet again, he would cop it many times (80+ games a season, far more often than "the nameless player") yet he didn't kick up a stink about it... he goes about his business with the right attitude.

Why should a footballer have to be subject to that rubbish? You're there to support your team, not undermine the other team. The abuse is completely unnecessary, and it's clearly affecting Goodes. When does it become unacceptable? When it's too late? Is that when everyone realises?

Being booed is not abuse. Being sworn at or called racist names is abuse, booing is not. If being booed is being abused then you had better tell everyone to stop booing in every single game in every single sport from now on. Not only have the rules of the game turned AFL soft as butter, now you can't even boo to voice your disapproval of someone's football antics.

This is a serious question and I legitimately want to know your viewpoint on this.

If tens of thousands aren't booing Goodes for racial reasons, why are they?

If you genuinely believe it's because he's 'dirty/plays for free kicks/a sniper' or something along those lines, why don't the likes of Sam Mitchell, Steve Johnson, Hayden Ballantyne and Lindsay Thomas (among many others) get booed every time they get the ball? All of those players are very widely disliked by opposition supporters yet none cop the week-in, week-out vitriolic abuse Goodes receives.

But if you think he is booed because 'he embarrassed that 13 year old girl' or 'his Australian of the Year speech was offensive,' these concepts in themselves are inherently racist. Goodes standing up for himself and his people by calling out that girl is one of the best moments I've ever seen on a footy field; and should be remembered as a watershed moment a la Nicky Winmar.

Steve Price dared to claim on The Project the other night that booing Goodes isn't racist, but when asked why he is booed he responded 'because he parades his Indigenous heritage.' I honestly can't believe he cannot see the correlation between the two. If you boo someone because 'they parade their Indigenous/African-American/Indian/whatever heritage,' you are racist. End of story.

I don't boo Goodes and don't think the boo-ing should continue but I can understand it. (which is sort of like saying "I'm not a racist but...")

The first time I heard Goodes booed from a Hawthorn crowd was the game after he slid in knees first and took out Josh Gisbson's ankle, it was late in the season and only a few games from the finals. I have no doubt the booing was in response to Gibbo's injury and the fact that Goodes wasn't even cited. The next time I heard it (the Goodes boo) was a few weeks later in the 2014 GF. Lo and behold Caroline Wilson writes an article in the Age condemning Hawthorn fans as being racist. Seriously, she chose to write about Goodes being boo-ed rather than anything else about the game. To my mind this elevation of Goodes to "Sacred Cow" status just bought in momentum for more boo-ing.

As far as I'm concerned Wilson started this shitfight by not knowing enough about football/fans to identify that Goodes was being booed for being '"dirty"and getting away with it.

BTW I do not think boo-ing Goodes because of the way he treated that girl or the AoTY speech is racist either, just stupid.

Agree... The next time Bacha Houli, Lance Franklin or Josh Gibson etc gets booed, others in the crowd will call security and have them ejected... This has the potential to ruin our game which is founded on massive crowds with an atmosphere of passion.... just think about this

+1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but when he did this he lost that excuse. the booing was happening before this but it got much worse after this. and he can't have his cake and eat it too. if he wants to go up the tiny pocket of carlton fans to get in their face after beating the cellar dwellers you have to expect some public backlash. for him to provoke the crowd like that and then claim the negative attention is getting to him is pathetic.

View attachment 157744
Look at those poor Carlton fans. Under attack. That bloke down the front is about to jump over the fence to dodge the imaginary spear. Poor bloke's scared out of his wits.

You are like the kid in primary school with low self esteem that gets teased because you react and your reacting makes all the other kids feel power, so they continue to gang up and tease.

We the footy fans are the gang with power and you are that kid, keep reacting like a sook and it feeds our power.
Yeah this is getting creepy. You realise that in school when we did that to someone it was bullying, right? As in, a horrible and dehumanising thing to do to a person? And you realise that getting a feeling of power from causing misery is no way to live?

Week...after week...after week...after week...after week.

No, actually, I think he's fully entitled to be pretty damned sick of it after a while.

YouTube Lebron James being booed.. The guy cops every night! There's even a clip of him at a theme park and idiots are yelling abust and booing him.

I get that everyone has a different emotional make up, I understand it may be disturbing to certain individual but bloody hell is there any chance of growing a pair? I doubt any of the fans booing him could cause him physical harm, I doubt any of those fans would personally attack him verbally outside of the stadium. if there were 100s of thousands of bigoted AFL fans then Goodes surely would have be subjected to the taunts in the public domain? Has this happened?

View attachment 157744

He got negative attention from the Carlton fans that night. I don't think anyone can fault Carlton fans for booing him then.

Does he deserve to be booed in every game for the rest of his career for that? When does it stop? Maybe only after he's forced into premature retirement?

It's like he's suddenly morphed into the indigenous Malcolm X overnight.

"I believe we are all connected whether we like it or not. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations, indigenous populations and all other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian."

“I’m not here to tell you what to think, or how to act to raise your children. All I’m here to do is tell you about my experiences and hope you choose to be aware of your actions and interactions so that together we can eliminate racism.”

The words of Australia's most dangerous political radical... :drunk:

Using the LeBron James example yet again, he would cop it many times (80+ games a season, far more often than "the nameless player") yet he didn't kick up a stink about it... he goes about his business with the right attitude.
And again, I will point out to you that - like all humans - not all professional sportspeople have the same emotional makeup.

In other words, LeBron James is NOT Adam Goodes. So there is no point comparing the two.

Yeah this is getting creepy. You realise that in school when we did that to someone it was bullying, right? As in, a horrible and dehumanising thing to do to a person? And you realise that getting a feeling of power from causing misery is no way to live?
That's what we call the real world. ;)

We're a s**t species of animals but it's all good, brahs. :cool:

View attachment 157744

Wait, what? So he lost the excuse of being a human being for doing a war dance that some local Indigenous kids taught him? Even if he was wrong for performing the dance, why on Earth does that deny him the right to have feelings?

Why don't we start abusing anyone who is forced to pay compensation for a civil charge? They've done something wrong too. Who cares about their feelings?

"Make a mistake? Boy oh boy, you're going to regret it. I'm going to bully you into taking a break from your career, and perhaps even worse..." That's quite literally the path you're heading down. Except the war dance wasn't a mistake.

I don't boo Goodes and don't think the boo-ing should continue but I can understand it. (which is sort of like saying "I'm not a racist but...")

The first time I heard Goodes booed from a Hawthorn crowd was the game after he slid in knees first and took out Josh Gisbson's ankle,
Which would be a bit strange because Goodes didn't slide in knees first and the ankle Gibson hurt wasn't on the leg that Goodes made contact with.

Being booed is not abuse. Being sworn at or called racist names is abuse, booing is not. If being booed is being abused then you had better tell everyone to stop booing in every single game in every single sport from now on. Not only have the rules of the game turned AFL soft as butter, now you can't even boo to voice your disapproval of someone's football antics.

It's affecting Goodes, so it's abuse. Simple as that.

As were 100 other civilisations built on. Cry me a river. It happened it's over and nothing we can do about it. All the bleeding hearts who really feel sad why not donate your worldly goods to the rightful owners of this land and move back to your ancestors birthplace. Let me guess you don't like that idea and are quite happy to live in your comfortable abode with all the mod cons tapping away on your computer that you worked for. Lefties are all so full of themselves but when push comes to shove they speak empty words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
What if we are part indigenous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back