Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Stumpy Pete, post: 39937740, member: 7575"]No I don't. I think most people booing Goodes aren't racists.

What I am saying is that after Goodes has come out and publicly talked about his mental distress and after it has been revelaed Goodes is facing increasing racist vitriol online (refer to the attack on his Wikipedia page) any reasonable person should be critically reassessing their choice to boo and deciding that, you know what, maybe I'll stop doing that.

But I've just read a post from someone who thinks the racial anguish faced by Goodes is awesome because it puts him off his game and their team has a better chance of winning.

So I think reasonableness has gone out the window on this one.

Regards

S. Pete[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, I think it has to end.

I will not agree with the AFL.Swans/Players position that if you boo Adam Goodes
you are racist.

You obviously do not support that lie either.

Please don't blatantly perpetuate a lie. Goodes did not demand, ask or request she be removed from her guardian nor interrogated by police. Goodes responded to a racist slur by pointing to the person who said it....then when went back to playing footy.

Some other knucklehead keeps banging on about lies regarding the AFL calling the booing racist....well the AFL has a case when this sort of crap is served up by the bigots.

He singled her out and had security remove her where is the lie in that? He stood there until security stepped in and then went back to the game. He was well aware of what he was doing.

Adam Goodes is media savvy and a professional - he was well aware, or at least should have been, what the consequences of him singling out a child would be. If he didn't then he would be an idiot, and he isn't.

Once again, lack of intention for the way it turned out does not absolve him of the responsibility that it did turn out that way and people don't like it.

Nope.

I reckon less than 5 per cent of people booing Goodes are doing it for reasons of race, but I am disappointed as **** that so many of those booing refuse to distance themselves from the racists though.

There must be something about booing that I just don't get. But then as my wife says "maybe I'm just not doing it right".

Regards

S. Pete
"but I am disappointed as **** that so many of those booing refuse to distance themselves from the racists though." there you go, the people not distancing themselves obviously agree with the racists, i do agree that not everyone booing is racist, but it started out as racist and all type of people just joined in from there

Made a spectacle of on national tv and media for a couple of years, removed from her guardians and taken away from watching the game by security guards and interrogated by police without adult supervision all the doing of Adam Goodes.
We are discussing what Adam said in the aftermath of the incident, but keep taking things out of context to justify your hate. Anyway none of it is Goodes fault, This is a terrible case of Victim blaming, he rightfully picked out a racist remark which unfortunately came from a 13 yo and then proceeded to handle it eloquently. Yeah Adams fault, and girls should know better than to wear skimpy clothes with guys around.

I've been around the place sticking the boots into Goodes for the usual reasons. However what went on at Subiaco challenged me to reconsider. I wasn't blind to the pain it was causing him and I could understand Jettas reaction. I was glad he gave it to them. When I saw his mother on tv the next morning, I felt bad for her sorrow, the reality that they are real people getting hurt by mob mentality. Bad booing west coast.

But I'm not gonna wear the labelling of everyone that boos him as racism. Can we all agree to call it what it is? Bullying. West coast fans are bullies and they take pride in it. They think it helps their team get over the line. Well as it turned out, they embarrassed their players. If we call it bullying, I think everyone can get along with it and agree it is wrong. It's not something we want at the level that was demonstrated by west coast.

I don't know about stopping booing him altogether though. Wouldn't that be strange? Deathly silence every time he went near the ball. From what I remember learning once upon a time, being ignored is the worst type of punishment that can be handed out to an aboriginal. To have the tribe turn their back on you, to be excluded from the group, to be made invisible. I don't know how we negotiate this then.

I wish this could be resolved as soon as though, because lurking around in background, in the cover of the racist footy fans our certain others, I have the bigger issue with. Hird being one and the filthy mongrel hawthorn players, especially Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge.

Treat your children well.

Good on you armpit.....if we could only get a few more to sit back & reflect on what is happening and acknowledge the brutal nature of the bullying and the effect it is having. Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope.

I reckon less than 5 per cent of people booing Goodes are doing it for reasons of race, but I am disappointed as **** that so many of those booing refuse to distance themselves from the racists though.

There must be something about booing that I just don't get. But then as my wife says "maybe I'm just not doing it right".

Regards

S. Pete

Hang on, 5% are doing it for racist reasons, if 95% then join for other reasons that racial
element is not material, hey, how abouut we have a group of seats for the racist booers and
a HUGE seperate group of seats for the non racists booers!!!

This political correctness BS from the AFL makes me sick. Why do I have to suck on their toes and buy into their racism propaganda? Just let me barrack and boo who I like, thanks :thumbsu:

Maybe just stop going to the footy, that'll be a great way to hit back at the AFL*

*and allow sensible people to not have to put up with morons.

The fact is the majority of people booing him are not doing it for racist reasons. A very small minority are booing him because they don't like him as an aboriginal man. However, when the rest of the people boo him, they are giving the racist people the go ahead to be racist at the footy. They are siding with the racists and going "Yeah go on, he's a flog anyway". It's that green light for the *******s to be racist that means that although your booing may be for innocent reasons, you need to stop it when it comes to Adam Goodes.

I agree that the majority of people booing Goodes are not doing it for racist reasons. Booing is a perfectly valid mode of expression for individuals or a crowd. If a very small minority are booing him because they don't like Aboriginals it should not prevent the vast majority from their valid free expression. Next time Lindsay Thomas dives to get a cheap free kick are we supposed to assess the motivation of everyone in the crowd before booing him as he lines up for goal?

However, the crowd booing certain players does not give a green light to individuals in the crowd to make genuinely racist remarks. Nor should a player's ethnicity give them a free pass to incite the crowd if they are being booed.

Do you have a source?

Days ago posted this. If you don't think Pridham spoke to Adam and instead put words into his mouth, fine, but its second hand evidence to a lot of people. After this article is when all the AFL started rallying to "stand up to vilification" of Adam

"He's a champion of the game and this is a campaign of booing," he said. "Let's call it for what it is. It's racism. To stand up to it we need to correctly define it. If people think they can sit there and say it's something else then I'm telling you that's not how Adam takes it and it's not how I take it"​

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...wans-boss-andrew-pridham-20150727-gilc0n.html

But, but, but people should have a right to boo. Because that is clearly more important then another persons mental well being.

Because, if they cant boo anymore, their life will be significantly worse off.
Yes, freedom of expression is more important than one man's feelings. Black people have the right to boo white people to you know.

Oh s**t, don't announce things like that, The herd might shift ballast too quickly running to the other side of the boat to get away from that evil bastard Abbott. :rolleyes:
Please don't mention boats ;)

I've been around the place sticking the boots into Goodes for the usual reasons. However what went on at Subiaco challenged me to reconsider. I wasn't blind to the pain it was causing him and I could understand Jettas reaction. I was glad he gave it to them. When I saw his mother on tv the next morning, I felt bad for her sorrow, the reality that they are real people getting hurt by mob mentality. Bad booing west coast.

But I'm not gonna wear the labelling of everyone that boos him as racism. Can we all agree to call it what it is? Bullying. West coast fans are bullies and they take pride in it. They think it helps their team get over the line. Well as it turned out, they embarrassed their players. If we call it bullying, I think everyone can get along with it and agree it is wrong. It's not something we want at the level that was demonstrated by west coast.

I don't know about stopping booing him altogether though. Wouldn't that be strange? Deathly silence every time he went near the ball. From what I remember learning once upon a time, being ignored is the worst type of punishment that can be handed out to an aboriginal. To have the tribe turn their back on you, to be excluded from the group, to be made invisible. I don't know how we negotiate this then.

I wish this could be resolved as soon as though, because lurking around in background, in the cover of the racist footy fans our certain others, I have the bigger issue with. Hird being one and the filthy mongrel hawthorn players, especially Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge.

Treat your children well.
Certainly the bigger issue facing Fremantle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back