Remove this Banner Ad

Are you based in N.Ireland?

Yes, my union is the NCU represented by the Northern Knights who are meant to be playing a three-dayer up in the North West but rain has delayed the start. Too far for me to go to and drive back but will be at the T20 next Friday in Belfast weather permitting of course!

Cheeky bit of ICC last night in Amsterdam. In PNG's first FC fixture, they bowled the Netherlands out for 206 and at the end of the first day, PNG are 6/103.

I figured they were done when Siaka got out last night. Great partnership.

Always impressive to get the highest total of the game batting last on what has reportedly been a pretty tough wicket for batsmen (going from Cricket Europe and people at the game). I know van der Gugten in spite of his six-for has been struggling with an elbow injury which has blunted their attack but the spinners have been poor in the second innings. Still, when the top order fails twice they must take their fair share of the responsibility for what must be something close to a nadir for Dutch cricket. The standard of professionals they have in the Topklasse (e.g. Xavier Doherty) is way beyond what we have in any of the three main unions in Ireland but the fact that a lot of games are played on astroturf surely doesn't help matters.

Ireland played Scotland in the first of a three-game T20 international series last night. All three games are being held in Bready which is the other end of the country to me but from following the match we were well beaten with the Scots chasing 147 with almost four overs to spare. Scotland did field something closer to their strongest XI but the fact remains our batting was too slow in the first 10 (debutant David Rankin on home territory scored 33 but off 37) and the bowling too samey. Fellow debutant Tyrone Kane, who impressed me in the interpros took 3 wickets in his first over but by then it was too little, too late and with McBrine getting a pasting, it exposed our lack of variety still further. Still, we have county players coming and going so the team will look different in each of the subsequent games in the series.

Scorecard: http://www.cricketeurope4.net/LIVE/CHANNELS/1/live.shtml

Always impressive to get the highest total of the game batting last on what has reportedly been a pretty tough wicket for batsmen (going from Cricket Europe and people at the game). I know van der Gugten in spite of his six-for has been struggling with an elbow injury which has blunted their attack but the spinners have been poor in the second innings. Still, when the top order fails twice they must take their fair share of the responsibility for what must be something close to a nadir for Dutch cricket. The standard of professionals they have in the Topklasse (e.g. Xavier Doherty) is way beyond what we have in any of the three main unions in Ireland but the fact that a lot of games are played on astroturf surely doesn't help matters.

Fantastic effort by PNG but some serious worries about the Dutch who seem to be on a downward spiral

World T20 Qualifiers start soon, which would explain the recent surge of T20s having been played by these nations. Its sad they will focus on T20 rather than Intercontinental Cup, but the ICC really only has left a T20 pathway for them to follow (except for maybe Ireland or Afghanistan).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

World T20 Qualifiers start soon, which would explain the recent surge of T20s having been played by these nations. Its sad they will focus on T20 rather than Intercontinental Cup, but the ICC really only has left a T20 pathway for them to follow (except for maybe Ireland or Afghanistan).

Hopefully the weather is set fair in Ireland. Always an interesting competition this one, with the shorter version of the game lessening the gap between sides.

Hopefully the weather is set fair in Ireland. Always an interesting competition this one, with the shorter version of the game lessening the gap between sides.

Today is the second and final day of the warmup games. It's not great here weatherwise (I live about 15 minutes from Stormont) but we'll do our best to get as much cricket in as possible.

It is also worth noting that the ICC have BANNED Cricinfo and CricketEurope from conducting ball-by-ball commentary of the tournament instead relying on automated coverage from Opta.

Anyone interested in following the tournament can do so here: http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/2015/WORLDT20QUALIFIER/index.shtml

Today is the second and final day of the warmup games. It's not great here weatherwise (I live about 15 minutes from Stormont) but we'll do our best to get as much cricket in as possible.

It is also worth noting that the ICC have BANNED Cricinfo and CricketEurope from conducting ball-by-ball commentary of the tournament instead relying on automated coverage from Opta.

Anyone interested in following the tournament can do so here: http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/2015/WORLDT20QUALIFIER/index.shtml

On what grounds have they banned it?

On what grounds have they banned it?

They sold the exclusive rights to Opta so no ball-by-ball or near ball-by-ball via text, radio or phone from anyone else, not that they have cracked down on CricketIreland and CricketScotland. That is the official reason. The real reason? We know the ICC want a closed shop.

Our game was abandoned. As usual, the weather is to be better today when there's no cricket! Fingers crossed for the holiday weekend.

They sold the exclusive rights to Opta so no ball-by-ball or near ball-by-ball via text, radio or phone from anyone else, not that they have cracked down on CricketIreland and CricketScotland. That is the official reason. The real reason? We know the ICC want a closed shop.

Our game was abandoned. As usual, the weather is to be better today when there's no cricket! Fingers crossed for the holiday weekend.

The layout on this opta site is horrendous

The layout on this opta site is horrendous

u19 tournament in Jersey has been 'sold' to CricHQ. These companies can provide automated commentaries and can pay much more money to the ICC. CricketEurope will publish ball-by-ball transcripts of certain games after the event. The only positive to this is that the sheer number of Nepalese wanting live ball-by-ball could crash the website. Never underestimate cricket's ability to shoot itself in the foot. Heaven forbid anyone is caught with a bottle of Coca Cola at Stormont this weekend...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back