The Beer Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

While this is true, you're not limited to one beer at a time as you're able to bottle the brew and start another one.
If you are going to pay for the co2 bottle, regulator and tap setup, why would you ever be bottling? So you have to have a separate keg setup if you want to have more than 1 at a time on tap with this thing, makes no sense to me. I keg all my beer, so I never end up bottling unless I am giving some beer to mates for them to try. If I want to take beer with me, I take a portable 5L keg setup with me. Bottling beer is a pain in the ass. The main thing that stops people from kegging is the price.

Also you can only brew 1 beer at a time. While they say that it takes a week, that would be the minimum time for ales and it usually takes 3 weeks for lagers to completely ferment out. I usually brew 2 batches at once because you have the same amount of cleaning and sanitizing to do.

Also it makes it so you have to really plan your brewing out because you could easily be in a situation where you run out of beer before your next brew is ready. For example, before christmas last year I was running out of drinkable beers (I had a couple of lagers lagering but not ready to drink) and I had a lager in a fermenter that was taking a while to finish fermenting. Because I had a spare fermenter (30L bucket with a tap on it) and enough room in my fermenting fridge, I just made a canadian blonde ale that was ready and carbed in a week and a half.

You'd bottle so you could put another brew on and have beers in the meantime.
The tap setup makes bottling easier - although I understand what you're getting at regarding the need for such a device.

The bottling setup on that rig is so you can bottle your force carbonated beer rather than naturally carbing in the bottle. So you will save the time it takes for the beer to carbonate using sugar drops or the like but I doubt the actual bottling process would be quicker. Counter pressure filling has to be done slowly to avoid turbulence in the beer which will remove co2 and absorb oxygen.

Honestly, you would be better off buying a temp controller, a crappy old fridge, a couple of buckets and a kegerator. Then you can have more than one beer on tap and more than one beer fermenting at the same time.

You'd bottle so you could put another brew on and have beers in the meantime.
The tap setup makes bottling easier - although I understand what you're getting at regarding the need for such a device.

Just thought I'd let you know you can go down and have a look at your favourite brewing machine in action, TWOC home brewing in spearwood have one for sale and it is fermenting / serving beer as we speak.

If you have a spare 6 and a half grand its yours :p

Just thought I'd let you know you can go down and have a look at your favourite brewing machine in action, TWOC home brewing in spearwood have one for sale and it is fermenting / serving beer as we speak.

If you have a spare 6 and a half grand its yours :p
You owe me 32 years of birthday presents, so I'll consider it quits if you get me one :)

Looked at the toy. You could go for a hint more effort and spare your wallet such a big hit, so a braumeister instead. You'd still need a fermenting fridge (and bucket) along with a kegerator. but you'll have change left over.

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/FYNIIQWV braumeister/7BRAUMEISTER 20L

The 200 litre version would almost tempt me into setting up a club, too hard though :)

Or if you really want to save the dosh... Forget the braumeister and just get a crown urn and some brew bags though I'd recommend a chiller coil as well (Braumeister prefers one too). Then you are doing BIAB (brew in a bag) http://www.biabrewer.info/
Still want a fermenting fridge (as mentioned by Wigarus, just a working fridge that someone is throwing out plugged into a temperature controller) and either bottle or a kegerator. Now your a true craft brewer and your beer is truly awesome :)

Wigarus, I still do the odd can when I couldn't be fagged, but the difference is big and it always makes me wish I'd gone to the effort. (a couple of hours to do, but mostly watching tv and giving it the odd stir, watching tv and waiting for it to cool via chiller coil - and 5 minutes for cleaning. Actual doing time is probably 15 minutes)

I think the big thing for me is that I originally started making homebrew so that I could get my hands on cheap beer. Once I had been doing it for a while I got interested in making 'better' cheap beer. Overall though, it still ends up being something I do as almost (not really, but almost) a bit of a chore. I have a couple mates that brew all grain beer and even though I can tell the difference, I don't think there is a chasm of quality between all grain and extract especially if you use quality extract, ie: Briess etc.

I'm a member over at www.aussiehomebrewer.com and using the kit and extract beer designer spreadsheet someone made I've been extremely happy with every single beer I've made.

I definitely agree though that a braumaister would get you a hell of a lot more mileage for your money than that [expletive deleted :p] machine above. It really gets me that they charge an absolute arm and a leg for it and they can't give any real benefits over other considerably cheaper options.

I can't seem to find Newcastle Brown Ale anywhere in Perth. I thought it was just a stock thing at first but it's turning into a bit of a quest to check every liquor shop I pass. Nothing as of yet. Has anyone seen it anywhere lately?

Last time I saw it was at DeVine Cellars in Bedford.

I am an absolute beer tragic. Got into craft beers about 5 years ago and have never looked back. It's a damn deep rabbit hole (also burns a deep hold in the wallet).

My favourite style would be Lambic closely followed by imperial stouts and then imperial IPA's.

Favourite breweries would be Cantillon, Evil Twin, Mikkeller, Brooklyn Brewery, most Belgian breweries, Garage Project, Feral, 8 Wired, 7 Cent, Stone et al

I've committed to the LCHF lifestyle this year (the same diet half our international cricketers are on now, as well as Port and Melbourne I think) so I've taken to drinking that Big Head zero carb beer as my staple.

I'm not going to lie and pretend it's the greatest beer at the world, but it's drinkable enough. Unfortunately most places don't stock it so I've been reverting to Pure Blonde as my back up if I'm out and about. I think that's the best tasting low carb beer.

For anyone who's interested - I quizzed my brewer mate on how they create a zero carb beer like Big Head, and he said they use an additional yeast that converts all the complex sugars into more simple ones that the normal yeast can chow through until there's none left.

Last time I saw it was at DeVine Cellars in Bedford.

I am an absolute beer tragic. Got into craft beers about 5 years ago and have never looked back. It's a damn deep rabbit hole (also burns a deep hold in the wallet).

My favourite style would be Lambic closely followed by imperial stouts and then imperial IPA's.

Favourite breweries would be Cantillon, Evil Twin, Mikkeller, Brooklyn Brewery, most Belgian breweries, Garage Project, Feral, 8 Wired, 7 Cent, Stone et al
Weird timing. I found it last Friday. It reappeared at my local Liquor Barons. I was so happy I almost let the guy at the counter know before realising just in time that he probably wouldn't give a s**t. Went back on Saturday just to make sure they were still there. Thought while I'm here may as well grab another 4 pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've committed to the LCHF lifestyle this year (the same diet half our international cricketers are on now, as well as Port and Melbourne I think) so I've taken to drinking that Big Head zero carb beer as my staple.

I'm not going to lie and pretend it's the greatest beer at the world, but it's drinkable enough. Unfortunately most places don't stock it so I've been reverting to Pure Blonde as my back up if I'm out and about. I think that's the best tasting low carb beer.
I'm really unfussy about beers but that PB stuff is so bland may as well not even bother. Also tried that diet for about a month during the summer when I got fairly fit swimming, I'm sure it's great for some people but it did bugger all for me except bore us.

edit - like my overweight sister that I swear would almost instantly drop about 20kg if she just stopped over eating loads on crap like cakes and bread.

I'm really unfussy about beers but that PB stuff is so bland may as well not even bother. Also tried that diet for about a month during the summer when I got fairly fit swimming, I'm sure it's great for some people but it did bugger all for me except bore us.

edit - like my overweight sister that I swear would almost instantly drop about 20kg if she just stopped over eating loads on crap like cakes and bread.

It's drinkable, so that's all that matters. I don't really have a taste for much alcohol these days except beer so it's either that or nothing... and I definitely ain't choosing nothing!

The LCHF stuff has worked wonders for me. Dropped 10kgs in a month last year when I first dabbled with it, then another 10kg this year once I committed fully. All while eating bacon and eggs every day and pigging out on as much food as I want whenever I'm hungry. s**t is magic - it's taken me a few years but I've finally got rid of the beer gut I acquired living up north.

The LCHF stuff has worked wonders for me. Dropped 10kgs in a month last year when I first dabbled with it, then another 10kg this year once I committed fully. All while eating bacon and eggs every day and pigging out on as much food as I want whenever I'm hungry. s**t is magic - it's taken me a few years but I've finally got rid of the beer gut I acquired living up north.
Yeah I'm sure it's great idea for some people, I've tried to get my mum to try it. I'm kind of weird though, even in my 30's my weight is ridiculously consistent around 70kg no matter what I do or eat. For example I recently got pretty sick and hardly ate for 2 weeks and only dropped back to 67kg. Yet the most I've ever weighed in my life is probably just hitting 72kg when eating heaps of rubbish and sitting around sitting around not exercising.

Things started going downhill for me when I passed 35. Went from 90k to 110kg in the space of 2 years without really doing anything different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back