Club History The best and worst five Essendon games that you've attended

Remove this Banner Ad

My girlfriend broke up with me the day before that game, ******* terrible times haha!
I think my girlfriend (Pies supporter) almost broke up with me the night of that game, in response to my sulking. I distinctly remember sitting there all bitter and then finally, through gritted teeth and a mouthful of pizza, saying "your club is a piece of s**t".

It was all I could even get out, I was that disappointed.

Best

1984: 19 year drought, come from behind 9 goal last quarter. Even the brain snap 15m penalty TD gifted to curran to put them back in front didn't stop the juggernaut

1993: unexpected and against Carlton, long amazing and how many touches did overenshaw get in the first

1985: premiership success for the fish who missed out in 84

2000: perfect season, never been beaten vis a vis wins and losses and may never be, overwrote Carlton's. 1995 as the best season ever

1981: carlton princess park - yes I WAS there and enjoyed the ball being taken off Fitzpatrick - would have been livid if it were similar circumstances and essendon had the ball taken off them

Worst

1996: swans prelim loss by one point after the siren. I wasn't there but this one hurt the most. It was no consolation that there would have been half a side in the following week due to injuries and we would have been creamed

1981: elimination loss to fitzroy at Waverley. This one really hurt (Conlan)

2001: GF loss to brisbane - meant that Rama and Rioli (who tragically missed 2000) never won a flag

1990: GF loss to collingwood, would have hurt more except it was over a long way from the end

1984: versus collingwood - the day the big fish went down. Salmon was a phenomenon. I was lucky enough to see most of the matches he played in up until then. The excitement and expectation was like nothing I have ever seen, I know long and hird were sublime but the fish was something else. It must have been the same for john Coleman. It was a tradegy. He was great afterwards but that excitement that captured the whole crowd never returned.

I converted my girlfriend into an Essendon supporter so no such issues here. She's originally a Bostonian, so she also converted me into a Celtics/Red Sox/Bruins/Patriots fan. Fair effort.

Edit: Bloody quote button.

My five best were

Rd 12 1982 Ess 19.12.126 def Carl 8.18.66 My first game. Otway and Watson ran amok. Foulds was brilliant and I remember Steven Copping missing loads of goals.

Preliminary final 1993 Ess 17.9.111 def Adel 14.16.100 The comeback after halftime was amazing. Fish and Bewick kept us in it and Watson kicked the sealer.

Grand Final 1993. Ess 20.13.133 def Carl 13.11.89 To beat the scum in a grannie with a load of kids was the highlight of my football life to that point. And it was nice and sunny too. Paid a scalper for tix, would pay ten times as much to do it again.

Rd 16 2001 Ess 27.9.171 def Norf 25.9 159 Once the goals started coming there was nothing those flogs could do about it. I was seated next to a very vocal Kangaroos supporter who blew his load too early. He who laughs last :D

Grand Final 2000 Ess 19.21.135 def Mel 11.9.75 What a day.

No particular order. I'll have a think about my least favorite games later.
Stephen Copping - sheep farmer from SA with one of the strongest pair of hands the game has ever seen, if only he had been tall enough to be a true KPP - thanks for bringing those memories back

Best (in no order)-

To do that to 'them' in the manner we did on a night of huge celebration for the club, as well as witnessing the Birth of the Derp...brilliant!

As loud as I've ever heard a crowd reaction after the big #27 goaled with 4 seconds left. A brave win without a heap of our best players.

A nerve-wracking finish that also prevented the Saints from levelling the Bombers' 2000 record of 20 wins to start a season.

Worst (no videos!)-

2014 Elimination Final v North Melbourne: Do I really need to explain this one? That I was there was bad enough, as many of you no doubt were. Horrible end to the season.

2010 Round 21 v Brisbane: The penultimate game of Matthew Knights' tenure at Essendon was as flat a performance as I've ever seen live. It followed a couple of embarrassing losses to old foes in the weeks previous. As low a point as I can remember, as we were utterly insignificant as a club at the time.

2005 Round 2 v Carlton: Taking a 28-point lead into the final quarter, only to go down by 4 points, as Carlton kicked 7 goals to 2 to snatch it.

I remember balling my eyes out as soon as Plugger marked the ball in the PF in 96. Was shattered.
What norf would've done to us the next week does not bear thinking about. Lockett kicking that point was a blessing in disguise. Put it another way, norfs reserves smashed our reserves the next week. The G.F would've been a massacre.

Stephen Copping - sheep farmer from SA with one of the strongest pair of hands the game has ever seen, if only he had been tall enough to be a true KPP - thanks for bringing those memories back
Exceedingly long arms too. And he needed them at 180cm! Seriously underrated player. Without sounding like a nomination for past player of the week (he may have already been) he played 246 games for the Bays, 548 combined goals, Fos Williams medal, Bays leading goal kicker twice or thrice?, 5 state reps, at least 2 flags, hampered by injury at the Dons but still kicked goals.

I think also underrated in SA as he was perhaps in the shadow of more prolific goalkickers and greats at the time such as Tim Evans, Roger Luders, Rick Davies, Grenville Dietrich, Rocky Roberts and Peter Carey (maybe others).

BTW most were undersized (by today's standards) for their position; Davies a 188cm mostly ruckman and later full forward (151 goals in 1983), Evans 189 FF (over 1000 career goals), Roberts 180 (prolific at full forward), Carey 194 as a ruckman.

Anyway it was a golden era of the SANFL before everyone hoofed off to Victoria in the mid eighties.

Best:
1. 1984 GF
2. 1985 GF
3. 1983 prelim (into the granny)
4. 1983 elimination (first day final won for years)
5. 1981 night GF
honourable mention:
The game against Carlton in 1981 when Neale Daniher kicked three in the last & we won by a point

Worst:
1. 83 GF (horrendous)
2. 81 elimination
3. 86 elimination
4. A game against Carlton in 85
5. 83 GF (it really was that bad).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the games I have attended

Worst:

1. 2001 Grand Final - Being 20 points up and 1/2 time only to blow up in 29 degree heat vs a team on now illegal IV drips and with a stadium packed with 'neutrals' baying for our blood and to see Essendon lose as they hated our recent dominance.

2. Round 10 2013 Melbourne - Just so woeful on so many levels. I left early when we were 6 points down, I literally did not care if we won the game, it was disenchanting.

3. 1995 SF Richmond - Some s**t hack thug runs through O'Donnell and several others, leaving us short on players, while Knights pulls goals out of his arse. We blow a 5 goal lead to lose. Was pretty painful.

4. 2014 EF Norf - We just needed a win to give us some joy and hang our hats on. We were completely dominating the game and then just had a bad patch and North ran right through it. Watch that s**t bag Brown kick goals on Steinberg and that pea-heart Petrie do nothing all night and then kick the sealers was pretty painful

5. Round 21 2007 - Sending off Hird and Sheedy and we did not fire a shot. Dempsey broke his leg just running along in space. Pretty much summed up the night.

Best:

1. 1993 PF Adelaide - 42 points down at 1/2 time only to run over the top of them. Was pure bliss.

2. 1993 GF Carlton - What a day. Smashed them. So much heartbreak for the scum.

3. Round 3 2004 West Coast - Hirdy dominating against a very good West Coast game. It had everything. What a classic.

4. 1995 SF West Coast - A huge win against great opposition. Gav squashed the young champ Cousins. Hird playing full back on Sumich and runs off him down the wing to bomb a long goal. Glorious. Much jacket waving was had.

5. 1996 Centenary round Geelong - A great game of back and fourth footy. Hird at his best. Longy did his knee was a huge downer, but Boris returning from his knee injury kicks 8 including some absolute ripsnorters. Was a great game.

Of the games I have attended

Worst:

1. 2001 Grand Final - Being 20 points up and 1/2 time only to blow up in 29 degree heat vs a team on now illegal IV drips and with a stadium packed with 'neutrals' baying for our blood and to see Essendon lose as they hated our recent dominance.
Try doing that sitting in a brisbane members section. I was a mouthy s**t for the first half, fell in a heap after that though.

They were last by a distance. I was pretty mad.
Sometimes when you see an individual performance like that, you can't help but applaud.

I'm sure my venting afterwards was biblical, however.

I think my girlfriend (Pies supporter) almost broke up with me the night of that game, in response to my sulking. I distinctly remember sitting there all bitter and then finally, through gritted teeth and a mouthful of pizza, saying "your club is a piece of s**t".

It was all I could even get out, I was that disappointed.

i seriously don't ******* understand how you can date someone who supports another club.....especially collingwood.

tell her to change or dump her imo

i seriously don't ******* understand how you can date someone who supports another club.....especially collingwood.

tell her to change or dump her imo
Not entirely sure if not serious...

I've never dated an Essendon supporter. Just not the way it's turned out. Of the ones I'd class as girlfriends- one Footscray, one Carlton, two Melbourne, and one Collingwood.

Not entirely sure if not serious...

I've never dated an Essendon supporter. Just not the way it's turned out. Of the ones I'd class as girlfriends- one Footscray, one Carlton, two Melbourne, and one Collingwood.

I couldn't handle it

seeing my girlfriend wear Collingwood colours.

don't mind WB or Melb.

Funnily enough, the two who were easily the craziest about footy were the Dees ones.

I live in Sydney and started dating a girl around 3 years ago...(still together) who was a fringe Swans supporter.

Safe to say I said deal breaker and she is now a year 3 Essendon member.

Just doing my part for the membership drive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back