Club History The best and worst five Essendon games that you've attended

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Boris got 9 that night.

The Same Olds vs The Pivitonions.

I watched that one with a Geelong supporting mate and I think I heard every expletive and every obscenity under the sun thrown at Boris. Afterwards he was man enough to admit it was a sublime performance that he would've enjoyed watching against any other team but his own.

Try doing that sitting in a brisbane members section. I was a mouthy s**t for the first half, fell in a heap after that though.
It was you!
The Same Olds vs The Pivitonions.

I watched that one with a Geelong supporting mate and I think I heard every expletive and every obscenity under the sun thrown at Boris. Afterwards he was man enough to admit it was a sublime performance that he would've enjoyed watching against any other team but his own.

It was sublime. Good word that...

Oh yes, I thought it was 8 or 9, but did not want to exaggerate it.
Was it perhaps Scott Lucas' first game also?

Yeah it may have been too - he was a little skinny kid. Got some handy touches late after an early caught holding the ball - moving slightly quicker than an iceberg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

today was the worst I've been to thus far.:(

can't imagine it will be a one-off this year either.:cry:

I was at the 93, 2000 and 2001 GFs but won't count them.

Best:

1. Anzac Day 09.
2. Hawthorn 15
3. West Coast 04
4. Geelong 11
5. Sydney 11

Worst:

1. Carlton PF 99
2. West Coast 10
3. Anzac Day 10
4. Melbourne 11
5. St. Kilda 12

Thank God I'm living in Queensland atm so I have a reason not to go.

Can hardly account for 10 that would make a best or worst list, so here's what I can think of. This year alone would account for most of my worsts, so I won't go to 5.
Worst:

4. Essendon vs Hawthorn, R8 2003. We won the day and it was generally an alright day, aside from being an 11 year old who got absolutely berated by some drunk Hawthorn fan. The silver lining was dad and I got invited to sit with the Bombers cheer squad after that event, which was pretty special.

3. Essendon vs North Melbourne, EF 2014. We started so well, and were playing great footy, but with our tendency to give up leads it was anything but a done deal. I consoled the North fan behind me at half time who was in tears, and voila, he was giving me s**t by the end of the game. Norf fans.

2. Essendon Vs St Kilda, R 14 2015. On this day I realised that we were not a proud family, just a footy club. Guys infront of me pointing to me behind them and making fun about my voice made me not want to be there, and the team was pathetic which barely helped.

1. Essendon Vs Geelong, R10 2015. The only ever time I've booed Essendon and it was after scoring 0 goals to half time. Total numbness watching that game. Was not worth going with a sinus infection, that's for sure.

Best:
3. Essendon vs Brisbane, R8 2015. After a long while where I either a. didn't have time to get to games or b. couldn't afford to get to games, I finally got to watch the Bombers win, in person, for the first time since my number 1 best. Too long between drinks. I went to a ton of bombers games before 2000, but I was too young to really remember whom or when, aside from a couple trips to Waverly park.

2. R. 14 2001, Essendon vs Western Bulldogs. Went with family friends who were strong Bulldogs fans, aside from the thrashing handed to the dogs on that day I also got to witness Gary Moorcroft take one absolute beauty of a hangar.

1. R. 16 2001, Essendon vs North Melbourne. Crying at half time, dad told me on that day true fans stay until the end. He's a North supporter so he was probably enjoying that sentence, but boy did that turn on him. I'll never forget being at the urinal when I heard we were finally in front, fist pumping while in the process of taking a leak.

4. Melbourne 11
5. St. Kilda 12

Yup yup, underrated entries of atrociousness.

So.

Given everything, is anyone tempted to try and squeeze last weekend's game into their top five?

What happened afterwards probably sours it, but I don't think it pips R2 15.

I'd put Freo '13 and Geelong '11 over it as well. In terms of the recent, err, epoch.

Maybe not, but I dunno.

For a game with a good but not out of this world crowd (say, 50k against 80k), the atmosphere was amazing in the last quarter. The roar both when Parish kicked the goal and then when the final siren went was deafening.

Realised I never put my top 5 in here:

1. Hawthorn round 22, 2009
2. Freo '13
3. Geelong '11
4. Hawthorn round 2 '15
5. Melbourne '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back