The best player in the history of the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Impossible to judge. No one has managed to see all the proclaimed "greats" play and the extreme difference in the game between now, 50 years ago and 100 years ago. Ridiculous to even think about.
You're obviously unaware of just how many posters on these boards are upwards of 50 years old(which covers when almost every "greatest" candidate was running around).

Lethal once kick 11 and had 40+ possessions.

Little Gary would dream of having a game like that.

I didnt realise he kicked so many behinds til just now either, should of got 1000 goals, crazy for a rover

Not debatable at all. i don't think there's a comparison. Much harder to kick over 1000 goals, as Ablett Snr did, thats from wing, HFF and FF, kick 9 goals in a GF in a losing side, kick over 10 goals many times, a few times 14 goals, one in a losing side, get smashed in marking contests, than run all over the field collecting possessions testing your lung capacity. Depending one you definition of physically demanding. If your fit you'll run most of the day helped by many rests on the bench. That's why key positions players are more difficult to find and take longer to develop. Anyone who think Jnr is better than Snr has either not seen Snr play or has a fading memory.

I saw Jezza, Hudson, Matthews, McKenna, Hart, Stewart, Baldock, Lockett, Dunstall, Carey etc... back in the day, all I'd take ahead of Abletts Jnr

Ablett Jnr 2 Brownlow medals. How many did those guys have? Winning the Brownlow is one of the hardest if not the hardest thing to do in footy. You mention big bags of goals, midfielders aren't going to kick ten plus goals are they.

Your opinion is still highly debatable. Nonetheless, a good one.

You're obviously unaware of just how many posters on these boards are upwards of 50 years old(which covers when almost every "greatest" candidate was running around).
How could the the last 50 years cover the greatest players. The 50 years prior to that would have just as many great players.

How could the the last 50 years cover the greatest players. The 50 years prior to that would have just as many great players.
We're talking about the candidates for greatest ever. There really aren't too many.

Ablett Jnr 2 Brownlow medals. How many did those guys have? Winning the Brownlow is one of the hardest if not the hardest thing to do in footy. You mention big bags of goals, midfielders aren't going to kick ten plus goals are they.

Your opinion is still highly debatable. Nonetheless, a good one.
Hardest thing in football? It's a midfielders medal. It's hard for a midfielder - impossible for the rest.

Look at last years winner. Would not make the a the list of top 1,000 players list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardest thing in football? It's a midfielders medal. It's hard for a midfielder - impossible for the rest.

Look at last years winner. Would not make the a the list of top 1,000 players list.
good example. I'll give you another then. Gary ABlett sbr played in 4 grand finals for four losses and in 3 of those, at least 2 for sure did absolutely nothing. You mention Priddis like that speaks for everything. No worries. Don't need a rocket science to tell you he's no Gary Ablett and yes it is one of the hardest things to win in football.

Goes both ways. Ablett snr choked in 75 percent of grand finals he played in . 1992 put in a decent performance with 17 disposals and three goals but that's not vintage Ablett or no match winner right there .

If you want to mention blokes kicking ten goals, as said a midfielder can't do that. Ok a forward won't win the Brownlow, but a midfielder winning one is the best he can do and his equivalent of kicking bags of goals. He did that not once but twice.

Point made. Fact.

Based on nothing more than absolute footballing ability and putting that ability to use, I'd find it hard to believe that there's ever been anyone better than Snr that's laced up a boot.

Not quite 6'1'. He was electrifying. Built like a tank, hit like a freight train, had hands like a vice, jump like a flea, could hang in the air like Jordan, kick like a mule of either foot, kick them from long range on a set shot or on the run, kick them out of his arse on both feet from the pocket and in his younger days as a flanker / wingman / centreman could run like the wind.

There's maybe one or two others that from a team point of view I'd pick before him ie Carey and perhaps Matthews, but as a pure footballing freak I don't think there's ever been a package like him and I don't think I'll ever see another like him in my lifetime.

Didn't have to because he just knocked his opponents out when they weren't looking. :D

And ablett snr was good at it too.

Ya cant dismiss a great player for one aspect, then include the same 'attribute' as areason foy your favourites greatness.

Ya just cant

Last edited:
Based on nothing more than absolute footballing ability and putting that ability to use, I'd find it hard to believe that there's ever been anyone better than Snr that's laced up a boot.

Not quite 6'1'. He was electrifying. Built like a tank, hit like a freight train, had hands like a vice, jump like a flea, could hang in the air like Jordan, kick like a mule of either foot, kick them from long range on a set shot or on the run, kick them out of his arse on both feet from the pocket and in his younger days as a flanker / wingman / centreman could run like the wind.

There's maybe one or two others that from a team point of view I'd pick before him ie Carey and perhaps Matthews, but as a pure footballing freak I don't think there's ever been a package like him and I don't think I'll ever see another like him in my lifetime.

Exactly.

G.Ablett senior me too. No question.

I can never say Carey, because half of the games i have ever watched him play in were against WCE, and Jakovich owned him every single time.

The greatest player in any sport should never get owned by anyone.

That said, my pick is Gary Ablett Jr. He is an unstoppable machine. I have never seen anyone like him.

I can never say Carey, because half of the games i have ever watched him play in were against WCE, and Jakovich owned him every single time.

The greatest player in any sport should never get owned by anyone.

That said, my pick is Gary Ablett Jr. He is an unstoppable machine.
Carey owned him in 94 at the G and 98 at subi. That's at least two times, there would be more. Jacko did win more of the duels, but to say every time is a bit far fetched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back