The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today marks 40 years to the day since Bob Paisley took over at Liverpool. In the 8 years that followed he won 6 league titles, 3 league cups, 1 UEFA cup and 3 European Cups (a record for a manager at a single club and 1 that still stands to this day), cementing his status as 1 of the top handful of managers of all time.

He also had a very sharp wit!

Celebrating Liverpool's first European Cup win in 1977
"This is the second time I've beaten the Germans here... the first time was in 1944. I drove into Rome on a tank when the city was liberated. If anyone had told me I'd be back here to see us win the European Cup 33 years later I'd have told them they were mad! But I want to savour every minute of it... which is why I'm not having a drink tonight. I'm just drinking in the occasion."

On Shankly's plans for retirement:
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton."

"A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don't stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once, that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were."

After his 11th visit to Wembley
"I'm surprised they don't charge me rent and rates."

"If you're in the penalty area and you don't know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

"The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience, and this is where we can play the Continentals at their own game."

This Is Anfield being a scouser who was probably in the city at the time, do you have any particular memories of Paisley as manager?

Last edited:
@OfficialBWFC: SPEARING APPOINTED SKIPPER: #BWFC are delighted to confirmed Jay Spearing's appointment as our new club captain. http://t.co/aLrFttrWQ9

Good on him, that move has worked out really well for him. That's what you always hope for when players work hard but don't quite have what it takes to make it at the club.

@OfficialBWFC: SPEARING APPOINTED SKIPPER: #BWFC are delighted to confirmed Jay Spearing's appointment as our new club captain. http://t.co/aLrFttrWQ9

Good on him, that move has worked out really well for him. That's what you always hope for when players work hard but don't quite have what it takes to make it at the club.

great news, namely cause he's not in our squad, but also he's found a place where he can flourish

So how much would you pay to have a Skrtel who is 4.5 years younger? At Lyon he also played left and right back, according to Wiki.
Well we signed Agger for 5.8 million and Skrtel for 6.5 million. Bargains. Both probably better than Lovren. I know the market is inflated but just not sure on this one. Obviously Ill get behind him and I hope he is the next Sami.

Impossible not to love this lad:

It really is impossible not to love him. Big season for him. He arrived and just has been completely on fire since he came. Scored what 21 goals in the league last season but was also injured and was out for a while. Has been in the giant shadow of Luis Suarez since joining.

So this season coming up is massive for him. His chance to shine. His chance to be the main man. I think he is capable of scoring 30+ in all comps next season and not many strikers in world football score 30 goals in a season.

Skrtel is not someone who should be starting for a team in the CL and one day hoping to win the league.

he's a great CB and if we're now at the point where skrtel and agger have pressure on them from 20 million pound signings in sakho and lovren, that's a good thing. we need them all for all competitions, look how city and arsenal suffered with only 3 top centre halves, you can't play the same two or three for 50 games..

having said that i reckon agger is on the way out.. this recent 'injury' which brought an end to his US tour is probably bullshit..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's right, Skrtel is incredibly error prone. He wouldn't be starting for the other top clubs so that says a lot
He was unmatched as our best defender in our best season in years, coupled with the fact that he was covering for ******* Gerrard at defensive mid and Flanno/Johnson out wide. All of this with a constantly changing CB partner.

It's not hard to conclude that he will reduce those few silly errors if we fix those problems in the transfer market instead of trying to replace Skrtel and throw another CB in the deep end with those issues.

I think Skrtels ability to score a towering header or pull out an awesome last ditch clearance or tackle, covers up the fact that for the most part he runs around like a headless chook... He struggles with the ball at his feet half the time, he scores an own goal more than you could call it just unlucky, I don't get how he doesn't give away a penalty every 2nd match the amount of shirt tugging he does in the box.. He's been a worthy competitor for us but I've said before going forward we need better than him. Lovren and Sakho are both better imo.

He was unmatched as our best defender in our best season in years, coupled with the fact that he was covering for ******* Gerrard at defensive mid and Flanno/Johnson out wide. All of this with a constantly changing CB partner.

It's not hard to conclude that he will reduce those few silly errors if we fix those problems in the transfer market instead of trying to replace Skrtel and throw another CB in the deep end with those issues.

yeah we changed keeper and lost our CDM and our fullbacks were massively ****ed around with, but for some reason people forget about the shape of the team when critiquing players. :\

yeah we changed keeper and lost our CDM and our fullbacks were massively ****** around with, but for some reason people forget about the shape of the team when critiquing players. :\

It's naive to suggest that the fullbacks were the sole bearers of responsibility for our calamitous defending this year. Maybe not as naive as thinking Jon Flangan is the answer, but you can't just absolve Skrtel, Agger and even Sakho at times because of the 'system'.

It's naive to suggest that the fullbacks were the sole bearers of responsibility for our calamitous defending this year. Maybe not as naive as thinking Jon Flangan is the answer, but you can't just absolve Skrtel, Agger and even Sakho at times because of the 'system'.
I'm not absolving him from his comical errors but I can't imagine he could maintain focus 100% of the time with all the previously listed factors in play. To trash our best defender and imply he was responsible for the team conceding so many goals is erroneous. He is the last defender in our squad we should consider selling.

Heart condition? Apparently whichever club he's playing for is legally required to have a defibrillator pitch side at all times - must be serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back