The bloody beer thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else homebrew?
I used to but was pretty s**t at it.

A mate of mine who just moved back to Queensland does. He is an Engineer and OCD, so applied his skills and paranoia to making home brew and the outcome was just outstanding. He started using mash and the quality of the outcome was noticeable.

I used to but was pretty s**t at it.

A mate of mine who just moved back to Queensland does. He is an Engineer and OCD, so applied his skills and paranoia to making home brew and the outcome was just outstanding. He started using mash and the quality of the outcome was noticeable.

It is quite interesting when you get to the finer details about making it. I think as long you are prepared for spectacular failure until you nail down the basics then it can be pretty rewarding. My parents always made their own wine, beer and a particular spirit so I got to experience the process from a young age.

It is quite interesting when you get to the finer details about making it. I think as long you are prepared for spectacular failure until you nail down the basics then it can be pretty rewarding. My parents always made their own wine, beer and a particular spirit so I got to experience the process from a young age.
How does yours turn out Tas?

How does yours turn out Tas?

Not so flash on the beer front, but the homebrew setup is a bit spartan, I think the Cooper kits end up being better and people don't really call that home brewing, even though technically it is.

I have been reading a fair bit about it on forums and some of the newer setups look pretty good, I have to clean out the garage and make some more room for a decent setup I think and then look at some of the recipes people say produce some good results, however, it comes down to the quality of local ingredients.

I'd be more motivated if I was a bigger beer drinker though. :p

Without getting into a D&M about beer, this is what I voted for in this years (2014) Hottest 100 (Australian) beers:

View attachment 104554

upload_2015-1-23_13-34-27.png
Very much this. Been enjoying it greatly this summer!
x770382_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569854564360.png.pagespeed.ic.veX_yGI6Y-.png

Is homebrew legal? Isn't it also quite dangerous? I remember reading somewhere that if you get it slightly wrong it can go from alcohol to poison?

Is homebrew legal? Isn't it also quite dangerous? I remember reading somewhere that if you get it slightly wrong it can go from alcohol to poison?

Yes, it is legal, just not to sell without the proper permits.

The yeast and alcohol level tends to kill any food based bacteria that could lead to problems, it is probably one of the safest food types to consume assuming you take the normal sterilisation procedures. It is safer drinking homebrew than baking your own bread. ;)

Mostly my home brew which is a mix of bitter and hoppy pilsners, ales and stouts.

I like coopers, Pilsner Urquell (THE first pilsner made), Grolsch and for aussie stuff, Melbourne Bitter and xxxx off the wood at the brekky creek hotel in Brissy.
I can pretty much drink any beer except for Hoegarden (i hate that coriander and orange peel unless in a thai curry!) but other strong Belgian beers like Chimay and Duvel are great!
I love beer and definitely drink too much of it.... and red wine too... oh well. life wasn't meant to be easy!

Without getting into a D&M about beer, this is what I voted for in this years (2014) Hottest 100 (Australian) beers:

View attachment 104554

I too am a fan of a Pale Ale. My fridge is always stocked up with Little Creatures. Otherwise if i'm at my cricket club or down at the local i'll just have a Carlton Dry.

Anything Monteith's makes. Really nice NZ brewery. Especially like their Golden Ale.

Best European beer, IMO, is Kronenbourg 1664, which we drank on a school trip as 17 year olds in the south of France for about $AUD2 a pint, from memory. Glorious beer. Really like Sam Adams from America. There's a Czech beer which escapes my mind which is really good as well.

If all else fails, smash down some green #tins though.

Anything Monteith's makes. Really nice NZ brewery. Especially like their Golden Ale.

Best European beer, IMO, is Kronenbourg 1664, which we drank on a school trip as 17 year olds in the south of France for about $AUD2 a pint, from memory. Glorious beer. Really like Sam Adams from America. There's a Czech beer which escapes my mind which is really good as well.

If all else fails, smash down some green #tins though.

Monteith's is choice, Bro. My Kiwi brother in law introduced me to it.

When i lived in Holland i used to get a crate of 24 Heiniken bottles for about 12 euro. Then, when i brought back 4 empty crates to the supermarket i got a full crate for free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone a fan of the simple, yet elegant bourbon and coke, one or two of them whilst relaxing outside goes down well.
Used to be mate, and they used to go down so easily. Used to be able to knock over a bottle in one sitting and it got to a point where it took me a bottle of Jimmy to even get tipsy. Pretty sure my liver's fair rooted so it's just beer for me nowadays. Was never a fan of the premixed cans of bourbon and coke.

Used to be mate, and they used to go down so easily. Used to be able to knock over a bottle in one sitting and it got to a point where it took me a bottle of Jimmy to even get tipsy. Pretty sure my liver's fair rooted so it's just beer for me nowadays. Was never a fan of the premixed cans of bourbon and coke.
Gotta mix it yourself, I have a mate who made his own stuff, a mix of Apple cider and good old fashioned beer.

Great thread! My biggest passion outside of this football club, I'd say.

Been loving the IPA's for years now. Mountain Goat, Little Creatures, Feral Hop Hog, Sierra Nevada, Karl Strauss, Mornington and Holgate all do good ones. Over the winter months started progressing towards the Black IPA's - and what can I say, once you go black you don't go back! All the ballsy, powerful hoppy goodness of a big IPA with the subtle malty sweetness of a dark beer. Think Guinness on steroids. Feral's Karma Citra and Kooinda take out the prizes here. Yeasty Boys, Rogue and Brewdog all do good ones too, but I try to buy Aussie wherever possible.

But I'm no beer snob either, I'll drink anything above 4.5% that is put in front of me. But the really good stuff makes me really happy.

I love this thread because I live just down the road from a massive beer house/shop thing. Going to steadily work my way through many of the beers mentioned in this thread.

gambrinus, czech beer thats sold here .........better quality than the cats p1ss they serve in Norway, although Ive rediscovered Frydelund Beer which was kind of lost for a while here.

Oh yeah for the record you'd be lucky to find beer here for under $5 a can (500ml).

So those of you dreaming of travelling to see the fjords of scandinavia dont include alcohol on your expenses.
Was in Czech Republic recently and discovered their beer has two of the most important ingredients. Good taste and low price. No wonder the whole country seemed drunk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back