The Bombers ASADA/WADA Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they needed to put some distance between themselves and some of the people involved at the club. It's untenable for both the players and the club to be blameless.

Yeah, I think they've evolved their position marginally to openly say they're very disappointed with the club etc. But at the end of the day they're between a rock and a hard place. Heppell will likely be the next captain of Essendon. I'm not sure if they gain a lot from answering questions in-depth, by being overly critical and by isolating themselves. I know thats probably the extreme of your suggestion but I think their best strategy is to be as invisible as possible at the moment.

Yeah, I think they've evolved their position marginally to openly say they're very disappointed with the club etc. But at the end of the day they're between a rock and a hard place. Heppell will likely be the next captain of Essendon. I'm not sure if they gain a lot from answering questions in-depth, by being overly critical and by isolating themselves. I know thats probably the extreme of your suggestion but I think their best strategy is to be as invisible as possible at the moment.
To be fair though, Heppell could pretty much name his club next year if he wanted to. He has strong leverage. By the leaders staying quiet, they really put it on their teammates that are in a more tenuous position.

To be fair though, Heppell could pretty much name his club next year if he wanted to. He has strong leverage. By the leaders staying quiet, they really put it on their teammates that are in a more tenuous position.

Surely Essendon will give him the best overall deal. They'll go above whatever any other club will offer. If they lose Heppell it will be enormously grim for Essendon. He will be the biggest face of that club in the short term if he isn't already.

Re: leaders staying silent...there definitely is scope for that and its a good argument. It is a seriously tough question to answer unequivocally with so many moving cogs and interests. I just think they don't need to say much at present. I'm not sure what there is to be gained. Enough has happened to pressure Essendon to deal amicably and properly with all players I would have thought. Situations may and will change though and it might then be more appropriate then to change tact.

Surely Essendon will give him the best overall deal. They'll go above whatever any other club will offer. If they lose Heppell it will be enormously grim for Essendon. He will be the biggest face of that club in the short term if he isn't already.

Re: leaders staying silent...there definitely is scope for that and its a good argument. It is a seriously tough question to answer unequivocally with so many moving cogs and interests.

No doubt they'll back up the money truck. I take your point, and clearly the club are reciprocating by pushing him front and centre in the media. He's definitely the public face of the banned players.

I'd love to see some of the players turn their backs on the club and go elsewhere. Would be the icing on the cake imo.

I believe they are being made to feel like they must stay together etc....away from that and we might eventually get some real stories told.

I agree.

I got tired of the "poor players! ..they are all victims" discourse ages ago.

They should have realised that they created a huge conflict of interest once they tried to sit on both sides of the fence. They simply couldn't protect their own interests and that of the club at the same time.

Who the hell was advising them through all this.?

Yep, I was of that view when it first made the public domain.... To have the amount of people (players, players managers, club officials, medical staff both internal and external) with knowledge of what was going down and not questioning or researching as to why..... Has got to make this one of the best sales jobs of all times...

Whoever was /is running the legal strategy for this club - can you name them ? Because I want to make sure that I or any of my family or friends have nothing to do with them. They have been consistently ham-fisted, counter intuitive, shameless, insensitive and just plain terrible. And cost the club millions.

Whoever was /is running the legal strategy for this club - can you name them ? Because I want to make sure that I or any of my family or friends have nothing to do with them. They have been consistently ham-fisted, counter intuitive, shameless, insensitive and just plain terrible. And cost the club millions.
Worth noting that the fundamental aspect of legal advice is that the client ultimately decides what to do.

Gerard Whateley talking up the interview with Brent Prismall on Grandstand after midday. I think it's mostly about the impact on those suspended, but this quote is interesting:

Ce_32xWVAAA8aMR.jpg

Not really.

At least he acknowledged that it would appear to people outside the club as strange that all 34 players would omit Thymosin from their ASADA disclosure forms.

But he point blank refuses that there was any coordinated deception from the players, which surely is not believable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really.

At least he acknowledged that it would appear to people outside the club as strange that all 34 players would omit Thymosin from their ASADA disclosure forms.

But he point blank refuses that there was any coordinated deception from the players, which surely is not believable.

Yeah, and I don't think it will sound any more believable in German either. It's the biggest red flag in the whole case.

Doubt if this will deter Hird:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...ave-essendons-insurer-pay-legal-costs/7378780

Don't be surprised if he now launches legal action against the Supreme Court

Well if we are to believe the rumor mill....'He no longer receives free legal advice from the Mrs....Spending time, while on suspension, on his business courses O/S, he picked up on and invested in a French tart-cum-crumpet-company....If you like, there's an expansion in the Hird family business interest.'..
When you re-read his public apology sort of leaves you with the impression of a split....but as I said..... it's rumored.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...a/news-story/553e32e58e74ccb5ba56ce3006509545

Well if we are to believe the rumor mill....'He no longer receives free legal advice from the Mrs....Spending time, while on suspension, on his business courses O/S, he picked up on and invested in a French tart-cum-crumpet-company....If you like, there's an expansion in the Hird family business interest.'..
When you re-read his public apology sort of leaves you with the impression of a split....but as I said..... it's rumored.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...a/news-story/553e32e58e74ccb5ba56ce3006509545
Maybe Tanya should have taken notes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back