The case for Jack Redpath

Remove this Banner Ad

NXLn3q8.jpg

LGktbUk.jpg

wz9Z8sF.jpg

h6xqbbO.jpg

Hold on... they are all one expression! Something akin to waking from a nightmare.

1. The major omission: Boyd does not often lose one on ones to my eye. He doesn't often win them, but he is very good at breaking even and at worst directing the ball to ground (unfortunately our smalls are not always positioned at the front of the contest given our tendency to play our forwards high and run back onto the ball and lack of genuine crumbing forwards). On the other hand Redpath, while very dangerous on the lead, does not cope well with wrestling. When the contact comes from behind on a lead he handles it fairly well, but when engaged early by a defender he struggles to fight his way to prime position. In these situations he is often outmarked or, at the very least, he allows the opponent first hands on the ball. I've seen the argument made elsewhere that this is simply a product of Boyd's height. I don't buy into this but regardless of what causes it, Boyd makes more of the opportunities that he cannot take than Red does.
Agree with this......actually meant to include something similar but forgot.

I thought late last year Red was just about
There grabbing a regular 22 position. I also thought Boyd should have been given more games last year. I was fine with him being dropped but he needed to be promoted back after a spell.

Boyd s output against the Hawks was solid
But against Carlton it was very poor and he looked shot from the very start. Not to mention the entirely innocuous incident with his shoulder.

So, if you forget his draft position and his contract - to my mind he is due a rest. And Red is the natural promotion.

Now, I agree with a lot of the analysis above concerning reds weaknesses but would like to add some observations. Reds movement deep in our forward line structures our offense better then any other alternative. He and Dickson are the only two who know how to consistently space and time a lead. Red being taller and stronger shouldn't require the space Tory needs. Stringer is less hit and more miss in his positioning and leading at the minute.

We are wasting so many forward 50 entries because no body seems capable of judging the movement up field and spacing and timing to offer the easy lay up option.

And then going back and confidently kicking the goal.

Finally, and this might be my personal thing, the threat of being crunched in a tackle by redpath has defenders a little nervy.

This is still a physical game. When red lays a tackle it lifts the team and our supporters. I absolutely love seeing him charging around a crowded forward line. I believe his presences induces involuntary short steps by defenders which give our other forwards an edge they otherwise would not have.

Now as l say, this is a personal thing. I maybe imagining it or fantasizing.
Players are harder to catch in the AFL. He looks fitter this year though. Has he shown signs of a bigger tank in the scoobs?

There are for's and against both players. Red is a better lead and kick. Boyd is better overhead (little down of confidence at the moment, dropping marks).

At the moment on performance alone big Red is a little stiff, in that Boyd is getting games on expectation that he will be the better player. We all hope he will yet no guarantee of that though.

I think the player we are missing badly who help both Red and Boyd out is Crameri. Crameri is always on the move, takes a good defender and opens up space. Stringer also plays better with Crameri in the team.

Difference between Boyd and Redpath is that people are looking too much at their direct impact and not their indirect impact.
Redpath might take a few more inside 50 marks and kick more accurately for goal. But is that worth the loss of flexibility in the ruck, the ability to command more defenders to allow teammates to get off the leash, ability to negate the direct key defender opponent's attacking rebound and all the other "indirect" ways of influencing the game that Boyd is clearly superior at?

Where do you guys think Redpath will be playing next year once he leaves as a (restricted?) free agent at the end of this year?
Only players paid in the top 25% on a team are restricted so Redpath will be unrestricted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Jack overlooked again. I quite like the player so I hope someone picks him up if we don't give him another contract. Is it form based or is he just not suited to our gameplan?

Poor Jack overlooked again. I quite like the player so I hope someone picks him up if we don't give him another contract. Is it form based or is he just not suited to our gameplan?

He just isn't very good.

I hope people thinking Redpath could be even remotely as effective as Campbell in the ruck saw the error of their ways tonight.

Redpath is our second best set shot behind Dickson. How many shots did we miss tonight from inside 50?

yes, but unfortunately Red is a one trick pony. Resting Bont on the forward line seemed to be a pretty good move

yes, but unfortunately Red is a one trick pony. Resting Bont on the forward line seemed to be a pretty good move
He's been playing some midfield, centre bounces in recent games to effect. Not sure one trick pony is accurate now. He could certainly come in and form part of the centre bounce rotation if he was to get a gig. As libba39 Said, we got out marked a lot last night, being that one tall short. He's also a really good set shot for goal.

He's been playing some midfield, centre bounces in recent games to effect. Not sure one trick pony is accurate now. He could certainly come in and form part of the centre bounce rotation if he was to get a gig. As libba39 Said, we got out marked a lot last night, being that one tall short. He's also a really good set shot for goal.

Redpath is not going to stop us getting out marked. Shocking with a high ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back